Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless
    Suspension
    Experimenting :D

Hammock Gear - Economy Compressability

I recently got a HG Econ Incubator (w/ 1oz overstuff) I have a question for those who might have experience with this.

First - I've used the UQ a few times, and it is AWESOME. Highly recommend to anyone who is considering. Top notch gear. My question is about how much it can be compressed, specifically with a matching TQ, and how much compression is 'too much'/will damage the gear (if that's possible?).

There appears to be 3 sizes of stuff sack that HG provides: 4.5L, 5.5L, 8.5L. If I read the chart correctly, it looks like I have the 5.5L sack. With the quilt stuffed into it, there is still a fair amount of room left. At some point I want to pick up a matching TQ and I'm wondering if I can safely cram both into the one sack, or if I would need to get the bigger 8.5L sack. And I'm also wondering if this is 'safe' or if it will damage the quilts being too tightly compressed. I know to store it in the huge loose sack when not in use, I'm just wondering if its safe to compress it this much during an outing.

Joe

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm not sure we'll ever have a definite answer on this, but if you take both and struggle to get them in together I would pass. You just kinda know when it's too much.

A good option would be to put the larger quilt in the stuff sack, then put that into a pack liner. Then pack the other quilt around that inside the pack liner. That way you sort of "contain" the mess with the sutff sack, but fill up all the voids around the irregular shape of the quilt in the stuff sack. No wasted space.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I'll pass on the question of damage, but many find it easier to pack things that can yield somewhat (or a lot) and conform to the pack contents, instead of a "brick" of down that will leave gaps. Personally, I just stuff my quilts into the bottom of my (lined) pack. It takes up half the pack, but always leaves room for more things to be stuffed in.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    You didn't mention which temp rating for the quilts, but I doubt you'd be able to cram a similar rated Econ Burrow into the stuff sack with an Econ Incubator. Besides, the Econ fabrics are pretty bulky compared to the Premium line. So much so, I've been thinking about replacing my all Econ gear with the HG Premium.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    You didn't mention which temp rating for the quilts, but I doubt you'd be able to cram a similar rated Econ Burrow into the stuff sack with an Econ Incubator. Besides, the Econ fabrics are pretty bulky compared to the Premium line. So much so, I've been thinking about replacing my all Econ gear with the HG Premium.
    Ah! You're right... the UQ is 20° and that's what I was thinking of for a TQ as well.

These are all good thoughts. I hadn't considered just cramming the quilts into the bottom of the pack to let them fill out the space without using a stuff sack. I think I'll have to just do some expirementing with this to see what works.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I can compress my quilts much more than I do, but intentionally let them take up as much room in my 60L pack as I can, compressing them only enough to fit the rest of my crap in the bag. My 20/20 combo + Chameleon in the SLD slug tube takes up half my main body on a GG Mariposa 60. I think the main pack is ~36L so I give my hammock, 20/20 quilts, and sleep clothes almost 18L space. My 30/40 setup is a little smaller, maybe 12-15L. All are 20D Econ.

I could compress them quite a bit more, but why bother? Its probably worse for the down over many years, but im sure there are people who do it without issue.

Im looking for 10D quilts to reduce the packed size, but nothing is for sale 2nd hand right now.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    added bonus of stuffing the pack rather than stuff sacks: the side pockets aren't nearly so tight. If I use a stuff sack for my TQ, it fills the bottom of my packs (Granite Gear) so tightly that I can't put things in the outside pockets. Just stuffing without sacks makes for a much softer, more pliable pack. won't matter with some packs, but it makes a big difference on GG packs with stretchy side pockets

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by mcimes View Post
    I can compress my quilts much more than I do, but intentionally let them take up as much room in my 60L pack as I can, compressing them only enough to fit the rest of my crap in the bag. My 20/20 combo + Chameleon in the SLD slug tube takes up half my main body on a GG Mariposa 60. I think the main pack is ~36L so I give my hammock, 20/20 quilts, and sleep clothes almost 18L space. My 30/40 setup is a little smaller, maybe 12-15L. All are 20D Econ.

I could compress them quite a bit more, but why bother? Its probably worse for the down over many years, but im sure there are people who do it without issue.

Im looking for 10D quilts to reduce the packed size, but nothing is for sale 2nd hand right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    added bonus of stuffing the pack rather than stuff sacks: the side pockets aren't nearly so tight. If I use a stuff sack for my TQ, it fills the bottom of my packs (Granite Gear) so tightly that I can't put things in the outside pockets. Just stuffing without sacks makes for a much softer, more pliable pack. won't matter with some packs, but it makes a big difference on GG packs with stretchy side pockets
    These are great points, and I'm thinking now this has the added benefit of filling out a pack if the rest of the gear doesn't fully fill it, which will make it ride better to. Huh, I'm glad I asked about this, I had in my mind that I should get it compressed as small as possible, but now I'm seeing the benefits of packing it loose. Very cool.

Hammock
    WB Traveler, Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, woopies,
    Images
    I just switched to doing the loose pack this past winter and I think I’m sticking with it. I got a DCF pack liner (but any old contractor bag will do) and stuffed my big winter quilts in the bottom. They completely filled the full volume of the lower pack and it was my smallest winter pack size yet. Didn’t even need the brain. Trouble is, now I have a ton of stuff sacks I don’t need... 1st world problems, I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Marthe Troly-Curtin

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Netless
    Suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by robfishman View Post
    I just switched to doing the loose pack this past winter and I think I’m sticking with it. I got a DCF pack liner (but any old contractor bag will do) and stuffed my big winter quilts in the bottom. They completely filled the full volume of the lower pack and it was my smallest winter pack size yet. Didn’t even need the brain. Trouble is, now I have a ton of stuff sacks I don’t need... 1st world problems, I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This sounds great - what temp rating are the quilts? What pack size is this/what volume do you think you need for an overnighter with this gear? Looking at packs also and not really sure what size I need. For the time being, I only forsee overnighters and not extended trips. Maybe later, but not for now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast