Questions about clew underquilt size

I'm going to begin construction of my first-ever underquilt soon. I've decided to go with a clew suspension, since it seems like the more traditional underquilt suspension has some problems which are easily remedied by using a clew suspension instead. I'll also mention that I'm using Argon 90 and 6.0oz Climashield Apex, but I don't think those details will matter for my actual questions.

I'll be using this with a DIY hammock that's about 10.75' long and somewhere around 6' wide. I'm 6' tall, and apparently clew underquilts are supposed to be full sized rather than 3/4, so I'm planning on making the underquilt about 78" long (just to minimize the risk of my head or feet extending past the quilt on accident).

As for the width, I'm a bit less sure--it looks like the standard width is about 44" (up to maybe 48"?). But I'm wondering if I should increase the width since my hammock is (probably) wider than most. Or does the extra width of the hammock not actually matter in this case? (Like I said, this will be my first underquilt ever, so I'm basically just making educated guesses on how things should/could work rather than drawing from any actual experience)

So, how do these plans sound? Is 78" a reasonable length for me? Is 44"-48" a reasonable width, or should I go as wide as possible? Are there any other things I should be keeping in mind that I seem to be overlooking?

Images
    Clew quilts work better with wider widths. My custom one is about 48 but I wish it were about 50 or even 52. My Costco quilts are the stock 60” and I quite like it. 44 will be too narrow. You should also go wider if you tend to flip flop, narrower if you are a solid back sleeper.

Jellyfish did a lengthy video tutorial on making a climashield box-cornered clew quilt and you should definitely view that first if you have not already done so.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5UQVLGdTxHs

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Clew quilts work better with wider widths. My custom one is about 48 but I wish it were about 50 or even 52. My Costco quilts are the stock 60” and I quite like it. 44 will be too narrow. You should also go wider if you tend to flip flop, narrower if you are a solid back sleeper.

Jellyfish did a lengthy video tutorial on making a climashield box-cornered clew quilt and you should definitely view that first if you have not already done so.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5UQVLGdTxHs
    Noted! Thanks for the tips.
    I hope I can be half as good at sewing as Jellyfish someday, but I think that box design is above my skill level at the moment. My plan is to just follow Ripstop By The Roll's instructions (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...33408934924366) for the quilt body and then use snaps to attach some grosgrain ribbon to hold the suspension. Either that, or I may actually sew the ribbon in. (Or maybe I'll actually get webbing instead of ribbon after watching that video!)

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you're sewing the quilt from scratch yourself anyways, why not go the distance and make a Wooki clone? The clew is great to get a wide underquilt to perform better, or to DIY a blanket into an underquilt. But a carrier fabric as used for the Wooki always performs better than any clew. It's basically a super-clew.

• + New Posts