Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*

Looking for recommendations

All, the wife and I are planning somewhere out west the last week in July, but are simultaneously overwhelmed by the possibilities and haven't found exactly what we're looking for. The ideal trip would be a 15-20 mile loop with good alpine lake fishing, solitude, scenic, and an alpine meadow portion of the hike.

As with anything, finding 3/4 is easy, buy checking all the boxes is difficult. I'd initially been thinking Sawtooth, but from what I've read there would just be too many people and I'm not sure it really has the alpine meadows on any of the shorter loops I was looking into. Wind River range would be perfect if I felt we could do the mileage, but our hikes around GA have made me scale back ambition and saving that range for hopefully next year. Right now, Holy Cross Wilderness seems to have a lot of decent options for in and out, but not a lot of loops and potentially crowded as heck depending on the hike. Any suggestions for other areas I should look into?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I did a 45 mile loop trip last September in the Pecos Wilderness (NM), which has a pretty extensive trail system and is easy to come up with loop trips of different mileage.

As for crowded trails, I think that's gonna be the case most anywhere you go these days.

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    Alpine and loops rarely go together due to the terrain, and if they do they tend to be popular. I think that's the one requirement where you'd be best to be more flexible. Another consideration for the alpine environment is the lack of trees for hanging, but you can plan around that if you'll be around timberline. It's been a normal to decent snow year in the Rockies, so definitely bring insect netting and repellent.

The Wind Rivers are truly stunning. It's a large enough range that you should be able to find something that you're both comfortable with. I have only hiked in from the Pinedale/Green River side, so I can't comment on the Lander side. One approach you could take is to do a tough day in (only pack enough water for that day since there are plenty of water sources to filter once up there), hang your hammocks and food below timberline, and then wake up early and day hike up into the alpine areas with just your fishing gear, etc. Make sure that you're on your way down by mid afternoon to avoid the severe storms and then enjoy your fish for dinner before crawling into the hammock (make sure to toss your fish waste well away from camp).

On the Green River side, I caught a lot of 'native' trout which have a bright red flesh from eating the freshwater shrimp found in the lakes. Delicious!

Images
    If you want solitude, you need to go off trail or somewhere other people don’t want to be. Those places will either be dangerous or won’t have the other things you want. You can also plan for shoulder season after kids go back to school in September but while weather is still good. Asking for an uncrowded fishing lake and breathtaking views in July just makes me laugh.

There is a 20 mile loop around Three Finger Jack in Oregon that has most of what you want. However parts of it travel through burn zones. Multiple lakes. Wildflower meadows near the mountain. Swimming. Spectacular scenery if you take the cross country route over the saddle.

Try Goat mountain / Green River just north of Mount Saint Helens, Washington. There is a 20 loop hike that is not overly crowded. While it is a good hike, I wouldnt travel across the country for it. Go early July for wildflowers.

Packwood Lake in the Goat Rocks region of Washington has a popular lake under a ridgeline loop. The lake is busy but the Coyote ridge trail is not. Great for wildflowers in July. 26 miles RT. Steep. Great views from the top if weather cooperates. It does have meadows, but are small.

What is worth traveling for are the Wallowa mountains in Oregon. Much less known than other famous places. You can avoid most people by avoiding the Lakes Basin region or by going in September instead. You can make your own loop here. See my review

Strawberry Mt in Oregon is another overlooked gem. Far away from population centers. Amazing scenery. Has several lakes, waterfalls, amazing meadows under the summit, the summit itself which is an easy hike up, and should be snow free in late July. Avoid the main Strawberry Lake and stick to the little ones around the edges. You can do a loop around the area but might be more miles than you would like. You can also just base camp and go explore. See my review. Strongly recommended for your situation.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    If you want solitude, you need to go off trail or somewhere other people don’t want to be. Those places will either be dangerous or won’t have the other things you want. You can also plan for shoulder season after kids go back to school in September but while weather is still good. Asking for an uncrowded fishing lake and breathtaking views in July just makes me laugh.

There is a 20 mile loop around Three Finger Jack in Oregon that has most of what you want. However parts of it travel through burn zones. Multiple lakes. Wildflower meadows near the mountain. Swimming. Spectacular scenery if you take the cross country route over the saddle.

Try Goat mountain / Green River just north of Mount Saint Helens, Washington. There is a 20 loop hike that is not overly crowded. While it is a good hike, I wouldnt travel across the country for it. Go early July for wildflowers.

Packwood Lake in the Goat Rocks region of Washington has a popular lake under a ridgeline loop. The lake is busy but the Coyote ridge trail is not. Great for wildflowers in July. 26 miles RT. Steep. Great views from the top if weather cooperates. It does have meadows, but are small.

What is worth traveling for are the Wallowa mountains in Oregon. Much less known than other famous places. You can avoid most people by avoiding the Lakes Basin region or by going in September instead. You can make your own loop here. See my review

Strawberry Mt in Oregon is another overlooked gem. Far away from population centers. Amazing scenery. Has several lakes, waterfalls, amazing meadows under the summit, the summit itself which is an easy hike up, and should be snow free in late July. Avoid the main Strawberry Lake and stick to the little ones around the edges. You can do a loop around the area but might be more miles than you would like. You can also just base camp and go explore. See my review. Strongly recommended for your situation.
    I do find it funny, as well. Here in GA, a 5 mile hike puts you in solitude in some places and with 200+ of your closest friends in others. I wouldn't mind seeing other people entirely, just don't want to be shifting thru a crowd like I've been on the day hikes I've done in RMNP, GNP, and Yellowstone. If I had to pick one thing to sacrifice, it would be the loop.

Previous research has my leading plan being going to the Holy Cross Wilderness in CO and doing a quick hike to setup base camp at Lake Constantine with day hikes to the Tuhare Lakes and Seven Sisters Lakes.

I'll look into the Strawberry Mt and Wallowa suggestions, thanks.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by tegwar View Post
    Alpine and loops rarely go together due to the terrain, and if they do they tend to be popular. I think that's the one requirement where you'd be best to be more flexible. Another consideration for the alpine environment is the lack of trees for hanging, but you can plan around that if you'll be around timberline. It's been a normal to decent snow year in the Rockies, so definitely bring insect netting and repellent.

The Wind Rivers are truly stunning. It's a large enough range that you should be able to find something that you're both comfortable with. I have only hiked in from the Pinedale/Green River side, so I can't comment on the Lander side. One approach you could take is to do a tough day in (only pack enough water for that day since there are plenty of water sources to filter once up there), hang your hammocks and food below timberline, and then wake up early and day hike up into the alpine areas with just your fishing gear, etc. Make sure that you're on your way down by mid afternoon to avoid the severe storms and then enjoy your fish for dinner before crawling into the hammock (make sure to toss your fish waste well away from camp).

On the Green River side, I caught a lot of 'native' trout which have a bright red flesh from eating the freshwater shrimp found in the lakes. Delicious!
    Yeah, it's just too spectacular of an area for me to do halfway. If I'm going to go Wind River, the wife and I are going to need to be in better shape than our current 5 miles/day limit.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I would suggest the High Uintas Wilderness area in Northern Utah. The Highline trail is fairly well traveled, but there are tons of opportunities off the main trail system that will check all of your boxes. Late July would be the perfect time weather-wise.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    I do find it funny, as well. Here in GA, a 5 mile hike puts you in solitude in some places and with 200+ of your closest friends in others. I wouldn't mind seeing other people entirely, just don't want to be shifting thru a crowd like I've been on the day hikes I've done in RMNP, GNP, and Yellowstone. If I had to pick one thing to sacrifice, it would be the loop.

Previous research has my leading plan being going to the Holy Cross Wilderness in CO and doing a quick hike to setup base camp at Lake Constantine with day hikes to the Tuhare Lakes and Seven Sisters Lakes.

I'll look into the Strawberry Mt and Wallowa suggestions, thanks.
    I looked into it. Wallowa seems dang near perfect. There's a variation on this hike that loops to eagle lake then cache lake that seems like it would be pretty good. A loop catching Minam and Mirror Lakes looks scenic as can be, but would be more crowded from what I've seen. Can't find much info on the fishing. That means it's either really good or really bad, lol.

https://www.evansoutdooradventures.com/?p=5788

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    I did about 65 miles of the Wonderland Trail around mount Rainier last fall. I saw about 20 hikers total over the first five days. When I got within day hike range of a car campground, I saw 200 people in a few hours as I passed by. I was counting them and then gave up around 150 or so.

So, my point is that you are right about loops. 9 out of 10 people are day hikers. If you want solitude you must be able and willing to go further than they will go in a day. But I understand about feeling out of shape coming on the heels of 2020 ;-)

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    That time frame—late July thru August—is typically when you'll see the absolute best weather in the PNW.

A couple of friends and I did the Copper Ridge loop in North Cascades park, and while that might be a bit out of your distance range (~32 mi) there are other easier trails that you might like.

copperridge2019026.jpg copperridge2019005.jpg copperridge2019022.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts