one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Good idea.... gets me thinking about how manage the fixed (foot) end slot so that's it's semi-permanent with the CL sticking out for easy access, yet also permit easy attachment of the UQ's S-biner. Hmm...

Looking at the angles in Post #12 above, it seems to me that the net is designed specifically for the fixed end to be positioned at the foot. Going to have to work with that.

Have fun on the AFT! I did it a few years back with some friends and it's a lot of fun and variety. Except for that one stretch that looks like it was nuked!
    That's funny, I use mine the other way around.
    But I also tightened up the bottom hole and cut off some of the extra shock cord as I never need the bottom opening to be fully open and hanging like in your pic.
    W/ it flipped around I slide it off to the head end (my preferred) and when it is on the hammock it makes the bottom hole closer to the foot end which makes it easier for me to get in and out of.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    That's funny, I use mine the other way around.
    But I also tightened up the bottom hole and cut off some of the extra shock cord as I never need the bottom opening to be fully open and hanging like in your pic.
    W/ it flipped around I slide it off to the head end (my preferred) and when it is on the hammock it makes the bottom hole closer to the foot end which makes it easier for me to get in and out of.
    LOL gonna have to play with this before committing!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Lol, I hate the slow learners...you don’t get pelted with them once, but over and over before they finally get it! And I hadn’t thought about a bottom entry letting less in, but it makes perfect sense now that you mention it. I keep waiting for the day I accidentally fall off the other side of my hammock in my mad dash to get in, when bugs are treating my headlamp as a homing beacon.

Hammock
    DH FreeBird 1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phnx
    Suspension
    WB Dynaweave
    thinking about how manage the fixed (foot) end slot so that's it's semi-permanent with the CL sticking out for easy access, yet also permit easy attachment of the UQ's S-biner.
    Hmmm indeed. Is there a specific issue you're trying to solve with the desire for a semi-permanent rigging? Things kind of just stay put for me as my foot end goes up first when I hang a hammock, but maybe I'm not understanding what you mean. Perhaps my backyard tinkering did not expose me to all the issues with this (if not, the trail will surely let me know with little regard for my sanity).

seems to me that the net is designed specifically for the fixed end to be positioned at the foot
    ya, I'm on team 'slide it towards the foot end' for now also; I'm super paranoid about it touching the ground so I'm gonna capitalize on having the foot end elevated so that I can keep in slid to the side if I don't need it until bedtime-proper (gonna go this time out without the bishop bag for net stowage and just let it dangle when I'm lounging).

Have fun on the AFT! I did it a few years back with some friends and it's a lot of fun and variety. Except for that one stretch that looks like it was nuked!
    This will be my first time and I'm now officially excited to see a part that looks nuked!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cbm9000 View Post
    Hmmm indeed. Is there a specific issue you're trying to solve with the desire for a semi-permanent rigging? Things kind of just stay put for me as my foot end goes up first when I hang a hammock, but maybe I'm not understanding what you mean. Perhaps my backyard tinkering did not expose me to all the issues with this (if not, the trail will surely let me know with little regard for my sanity).

ya, I'm on team 'slide it towards the foot end' for now also; I'm super paranoid about it touching the ground so I'm gonna capitalize on having the foot end elevated so that I can keep in slid to the side if I don't need it until bedtime-proper (gonna go this time out without the bishop bag for net stowage and just let it dangle when I'm lounging).

This will be my first time and I'm now officially excited to see a part that looks nuked!
    Ah, Okay... I like to attach head end first because it's part of my method of getting height/angle correct with fewest tweaks, and I like the foot-end CL sticking out of the bishop bag. So I envision (possibly?) a small loop for the UQ foot-end S-biner.

I also would probably prefer to stay with the setup that keeps the bottom edge/opening of the net parallel to the ground, not touching. It is clearly designed that way and I think it's cool, although I've never been a 'slave to convention' if I find something clearly superior.

The AFT 'nuked' section is some sort of big clear cut that looks as if it was dragged with giant chains. It's probably overgrown by now, though... it was fresh when we were there and you could still smell wood sap!
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm going to ask Jared if he could make an electrified version. Kind of like those blue lanterns. So I can watch those worthless beings fry when they come in to steal my blood.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I'm going to ask Jared if he could make an electrified version. Kind of like those blue lanterns. So I can watch those worthless beings fry when they come in to steal my blood.
    I’d be willing to carry the extra weight for that! Lightening bugs in all seasons! (Well, almost)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The bugs are out there. Try as you might, you can’t - unlike what we pretty much did with Beaver and Buffalo - kill them all. It seems a worthy endeavor is coming up with something more attractive than you. Sort of along the theme of hiking with a friend and coming across a bear. You don’t have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun your ex-friend. But given that those critters are after blood, what I thought of that would be more attractive to them, could possibly be more attractive to other, larger, critters too. Note the previous sentence about running.

But it does work. On Orcas Island one summer they had more than the usual number of Yellow Jackets (i.e waspspspsps - fun to say). So “attractors” were put around the picnic table and people, for the most part, were left alone.

Or, make the repellent stronger than the attraction - so we have Permethrin.

I would not rely on just netting because 1) often a body part gets close to the net and 2) even if they can’t bite, skeeters can make a whining noise, within hearing distance, that could disturb sleep.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    The bugs are out there. Try as you might, you can’t - unlike what we pretty much did with Beaver and Buffalo - kill them all. It seems a worthy endeavor is coming up with something more attractive than you. Sort of along the theme of hiking with a friend and coming across a bear. You don’t have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun your ex-friend. But given that those critters are after blood, what I thought of that would be more attractive to them, could possibly be more attractive to other, larger, critters too. Note the previous sentence about running.

But it does work. On Orcas Island one summer they had more than the usual number of Yellow Jackets (i.e waspspspsps - fun to say). So “attractors” were put around the picnic table and people, for the most part, were left alone.

I would not rely on just netting because 1) often a body part gets close to the net and 2) even if they can’t bite, skeeters can make a whining noise, within hearing distance, that could disturb sleep.
    You're so right about this! One summer I was using a Borah Bug Bivy on a trip to the Adirondacks. Somehow or other the back of my neck was against the net and the bugs were chowing down on me all night. It was literally months before all the infected welts finally subsided.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

wise words, a multi-layer approach is best. unfortunately, i'm that friend..

keep in mind, though, that permethrin is not a bug repellent, unfortunately it is often mislabelled as being such. what it is, is a neurotoxic molecule which kills all "bugs", indiscriminately, as they have not evolved an enzyme to neutralyze it (yet.). permethrin is similarly neurotoxic to us, it's just that we have a built in way to neutralize it, so it never reaches the nervous system, this is why in small quantities, it is harmless to us (although cats are not as lucky, and there might be other animals out there who also have the defect). because of how deadly and indiscriminate it is, i only use permethrin on stuff that i wear, to protect from blood suckers (mainly ticks which are actually dangerous due to the disease they spread), so i find it useful on trousers and such, but general/generous use sounds a bit overkill (not to call it genocide). the other problem is that insects have very quick lifecycles, and we already know permethrin is not 100% effective these days, if we use it too liberally, we risk selecting the "super bugs" and it might not take that long until permethrin becomes useless.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast