As a heavy guy, could a stretchy hammock cause venting my underquilt?

I know it's not easy troubleshooting cold butt syndrome from the other side of the planet, but I have a few theories that I want to shoot out. I have two incubators, a 20 and a 0. I only used the 0 for 1 night though, so I'll be focusing on the problems with the 20. I'm in Norway, but the 20 should have been enough for most of the trips I took it out. I've used it for a couple of years, probably around 20-30 nights so I have had time to try adjusting it differently.

So my theory is that being heavy, around 260 pounds, and using a chameleon with 1.6 fabric, I'm stretching the hammock too much and the fold under my calfs is letting in a lot of air. Sorry, english is not my first language but I hope you understand what I mean.

Did anyone else experience this? I also wonder if an underquilt protector would help with this problem. I's only about 50 bucks from HG, but ordering to Norway would probably be (at least) another 50.

Anyways, if you did read my poorly crafted explanation and question, thank you so much haha.

-fleskefinn

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I think you may be onto something. I'm assuming when you say 1.6 it's 1.6 hyper D correct?

I'm a flopper. My sleeping position is typically a side sleeper but I constantly switch left to right lay through the night, typically curled into a fetal type position.
    Anyway I developed cold spots because when I'm laying sideways my knees will press the sides out and it creates just a little opening on the ends were the gather is. I've learned how to pull my quilt into areas that it needs to be when this happens, but it doesn't always work. A few times I've noticed when my calf ridge was a problem, likely due to miss hanging my hammock, I also have gotten cold butt syndrome in this scenario.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I experience cold spots from time to time.
    I’m not sure of exact causes, maybe my setup was a bit off, or down migrated and let some spots get cold.
    After setting up hammock and attaching underquilt, I stand in front of hammock and pull underquilt to front side of hammock. Now I can see them both. The bottom of underquilt should be 6 to 12 inches higher than bottom of hammock.
    The hammock bottom should be visible along its entire length. At all points the underquilt bottom should be about 6 inches higher than hammock bottom along entire length.

When underquilt is pulled back into position for use, underquilt should lift empty hammock about 6 to 12 inches.

And since I have gotten cold spots from time to time, I cheat by stacking my zero* underquilt with my 20* underquilt.

Twenty* underquilt goes on first, closest to hammock. And zero* underquilt goes on last, on the outside, farthest from hammock.

The 20* underquilt gets compressed a bit, but still has some insulation value. The zero* underquilt does not get compressed and does most of the work. But the 20* underquilt helps greatly to reduce drafts and cold spots.

Experienced cold weather hammock campers, (not me) set up a bit differently and correctly—by taking care to not compress the inner underquilt.
    They get full insulation value from all their underquilts.

Good luck staying warm

Kudos on learning more than one language, especially English, as it’s hard to learn with many exceptions in grammar and spelling!
    You are doing way better than me on languages.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I'm 280lbs and have solved my issue like yours with a length of shock cord up and over my ridgeline from my underquilt

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Fleskefinn - Yes, a UQP has helped me. I often setup alone and switch different hammocks and UQ’s As such, there is no “just right” setup for any particular combination. If you have one hammock and UQ, once you get the desired sag with the hammock, you can assure the same sag by using a hammock ridgeline. Once you get the right UQ fit - by working with the shock-cord settings - that will mostly remain the same too.

But until we have a better understanding/control of quantum physics, it is difficult to be in the hammock and outside of it to check your UQ suspension at the same time. The UQP makes that setting less critical because the UQP could block a gap.

There are two areas of adjustment. If you imagine lying parallel with the hammock - in a straight line with the ends - then have the ends of the UQ cinched tight makes sense. But we DON’T sleep that way. We sleep at some degree of diagonal. As such, your head and feet are pushing against the end/sides of the UQ and if it is gathered tightly at the ends, the “push out” can cause a gap. For that reason, there is a school of thought that suggests loosing the gather at the ends so the UQ can more easily fit the form of you in the hammock. I don’t mean completely open loose, just not really tight.

Next is how tight the main suspension is. In one of Shug’s videos, he suggests that the UQ suspension be tight enough that the UQ raises the hammock a bit when you are not in it. Your HG UQ’s have a differential cut - meaning the bottom fabric is cut fuller than the top fabric so you can pull it tight against the bottom of the hammock without fear that you’ll be compressing the down. If possible, find a friend to lie in your hammock while you check on the suspension adjustments. I’m sure they will be able to tell when that UQ is snug up against their bottom.

HG UQ’s have a secondary suspension that is supposed to give lift at the ends. You can ehance that a bit with the suggestion brutalguyracing made. There are numerous ways to pull up on that secondary suspension. One easy way, assuming your hammock has a ridgeline - and I highly recommend adding one if it doesn’t - is to just use an S-biner or similar clip (even a paperclip) to attach the ridgeline to both the left and right secondary suspension. This is done near the end of hammock but exactly were is up to your individual situation.

It might be unnecessary to do that last step. For me, the secondary suspension itself is usually enough. Or perhaps just adding the UQP is enough.

All my UQP’s - except those made specifically for the RidgeRunner - are from a company called 2QZQ. But that company has recently moved under Dutchware gear. If you get your UQP directly from the UQ manufacturer (Hammock Gear), it will be cut to cover what they think is most effective. Remember that the UQP’s job is not to cover the bottom of the whole hammock (though it might); it’s job is to cover just the UQ, which is usually shorter.

Let us know how your adjustment experiments work.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-21-2021 at 12:29.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I think the stretch is good. The only time I had a hammock seem to interfere with the UQ negatively, related to the fabric itself, was a 1.7 ripstop. Zero stretch from what I could tell. It had no chance to "mold" and match the shape of the UQ.

Otherwise, if the UQ primary suspension is tightened properly the stretch should aid in fitting. Just my guess.

Images
    Using a knee pillow will flatten that spot out. This prevents the hollow between the quilt and the hammock from forming.

Hammock
    SeaToSummit Double
    Suspension
    SeaToSummit
    Images
    Fleskefinn, hello from the other side of Norway

I have the same problem myself (cold butt/cold back syndrom) at 250-ish lbs.

Your english is perfectly understandable.

• + New Posts