Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images

VIDEO: Midweek Overnight Hang in Local Woods

It's been a few months since I slept in the woods so I figured I'd better spend a night outside now that the weather is warmer. For this hike I drove ten minutes down the road to the Burlingame Management Area. I hiked about a mile in and camped at a secluded site along the Watchaug Pond which is very shallow and very picturesque.

I ripped my Enos Doublnest hammock on my last winter trip and had picked up a Grand Trunk Single up in Kittery. I wanted to see how it slept and also remind myself what it's light to camp in warmer temps. It was time to trade in the cold weather gear for a bug net. The bugs fortunately turned out not to be too bad. However animal noises in the woods kept me slightly on edge throughout the night.

It's amazing how quickly I forget that just using a sleeping bag doesn't work great for me. I was lulled into foolishness because it was so warm during the day. But the temp dropped to about 48 degrees at night and once again my sleeping bag didn't cut it. Maybe this time I'll learn! I just didn't want to use my 0 degree UQ which I figured would be a bit much. Think I need to test out that UQ in warm temps to see if it's doable or just overkill - I may be buying a cooler UQ soon in the future.

I really enjoyed making this video and I'm really happy with how it came out. Let me know what you think!

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    That looked like a great spot. Do like the hat. Good luck with your injuries and your race. Nice set up.
    Take care, Al

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Great video... sometimes it's nice just to pop into the woods and camp solo.

Takes a manly man to pull off the kilt option! But I'll bet the ventilation is pretty good.

Yep, gonna need a UQ or some sort of bottom insulation even with lows in the 70s.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    How pretty out there! That’s funny, I was admiring the hat before you brought it up. Who makes it? I might have to pick one up.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the arm chair fantasy. At 70 now, but even though I slow down, I will never stop camping. Press on brother

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Thanks all. Watching it again it occurred to me that the ENO bugnet would be pretty difficult to use in conjunction with an underquilt so it looks l made need some new gear to make this work. Don't tell my wife!

Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    How pretty out there! That’s funny, I was admiring the hat before you brought it up. Who makes it? I might have to pick one up.
    A fine hat! It's made by World Wide Sportsmen. My wife picked it up at Cabela's.

• + New Posts