Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Just Recieved My WBBB XLC

Hey Guys!

As I said, I ordered the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC as my first "non-generic" hammock for camping. I haven't had the chance to take it out since it's been raining consistently, but I wanted to hop on here and see what your guys' thoughts are.

I have a few questions that I will list below. If anyone has any insight on it please let me know!

1. As far as setting up your guylines, what tips/tricks/angles do you use/follow in order to achieve the best hang?

2. I went with the buckle suspension. I've watched the videos on the WB website which helped a lot, but I was wondering if anyone has experience or tips/tricks specific to this suspension that may help a first time user. (Keep in mind that this is the new generation of XLC).

3. Lastly, I was wondering about the stuff sack. It's so genius to make it double sided, because you never even have to take it off of the hammock. Moreover, I thought you may be able to hang it by the carabiner and close the bottom, and you now have a small storage sack for whatever. I was wondering if you guys do the same, take the stuff sack off completely, or do something else entirely.

Please let me know if you have any tips about the questions listed above or just about the XLC in general. Any help is truly appreciated. I'm sure I can find these answers on my own, but I'm new here and figured it'd be a good opportunity to get to know everyone as well.

Thanks in advance!!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi PTownTheProphet, welcome to the forums. You picked a great hammock. I have a double layer XLC myself and have spent a lot of great nights in it. I'll try and add what insight I can, others here have vast more experience as well.

1. - Dont overthink the guylines. I just pretty much pull them straight out to the sides. Only thing to keep in mind is to give yourself a bit of slack as they will tighten up some as you lay in it.

2. - The buckles are a great simple setup. Sometimes if they're really tight and youre trying to loosen it up you can grab the gathered end part of the hammock and pull it towards you then loosen the buckles a bit.

3. - A lot of people do exactly that. In fact some places make stuff sack/ridgeline organizers. Autumn Ultralight comes to mind.

Other tips I have. Make sure your foot end is hung a bit higher. For me I reach the foot end up as high as I can, and place the head end right at head height. Just my personal preference.

Good luck hanging. Make sure you practice your setups a bit before you go on a trip just to get everything dialed in.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    My hammock also has a double-sided stuff sack. I just leave it on end of the hammock. That way I don’t lose it and breaking camp is super simple. Tightening it down on the continuous loop also provides one more rain/moisture break. Here in GA, I place drip lines on the suspension and on the continuous loops. They work well to divert rain, but after 24-48 hrs of constant precipitation, the moisture will seep past the drip lines. The end of my hammock with the stuff sack is always drier than the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshowraheem View Post
    Hi PTownTheProphet, welcome to the forums. You picked a great hammock. I have a double layer XLC myself and have spent a lot of great nights in it. I'll try and add what insight I can, others here have vast more experience as well.

1. - Dont overthink the guylines. I just pretty much pull them straight out to the sides. Only thing to keep in mind is to give yourself a bit of slack as they will tighten up some as you lay in it.

2. - The buckles are a great simple setup. Sometimes if they're really tight and youre trying to loosen it up you can grab the gathered end part of the hammock and pull it towards you then loosen the buckles a bit.

3. - A lot of people do exactly that. In fact some places make stuff sack/ridgeline organizers. Autumn Ultralight comes to mind.

Other tips I have. Make sure your foot end is hung a bit higher. For me I reach the foot end up as high as I can, and place the head end right at head height. Just my personal preference.

Good luck hanging. Make sure you practice your setups a bit before you go on a trip just to get everything dialed in.
    Awesome. This is a ton of help, thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    My hammock also has a double-sided stuff sack. I just leave it on end of the hammock. That way I don’t lose it and breaking camp is super simple. Tightening it down on the continuous loop also provides one more rain/moisture break. Here in GA, I place drip lines on the suspension and on the continuous loops. They work well to divert rain, but after 24-48 hrs of constant precipitation, the moisture will seep past the drip lines. The end of my hammock with the stuff sack is always drier than the other end.
    That's a great point, I didn't even think about that!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    ugq Fjack and zep
    Suspension
    Webbing n buckles

Just Recieved My WBBB XLC

I also cinch the double-ended sack down on the head-end suspension.

If I'm out for more than a couple nights, I put my car keys and other small stuff sacks in it so they don't get lost or blown around the campsite. I've spent too much time dumping and repacking my pack searching for keys before heading out.

Added bonus, it acts as a water break, as Eclectic mentioned.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Welcome Prophet. I think you'll enjoy your upgrade quite a bit

1. Not all that critical. I run them out to my tarp stakes. Not much tension: Take out the slack then an inch two for tension.

2. Webbing is pretty straightforward, but of course Shug has a video to help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cG0Ne_Ef5w Buckles make for a good/great water break, but I still add prussics to my continuous loops just in case. The head end water breaks are red, the foot end are blue, which is handy when my hammock is in it's double ended stuff sack.

3. That works. I leave it on the hammock and store stuff like stuff sacks and spare stakes in there.

General tips:
    Foot end about a foot higher than head end is the sweet spot for most.
    Practice setting up before you go on the trail.
    Never hang higher than you're willing to fall.
    Thinking you're sitting down in your hammock when you're really missing the hammock and sitting down in your underquilt/underquilt protector is practically a rite of passage, but can be expensive. The way the WBBB netting zips into the underquilt fooled me once. If only I had been in the habit of looking rather than just feeling with my hand before I sat down.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCPAT View Post
    Welcome Prophet. I think you'll enjoy your upgrade quite a bit

1. Not all that critical. I run them out to my tarp stakes. Not much tension: Take out the slack then an inch two for tension.

2. Webbing is pretty straightforward, but of course Shug has a video to help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cG0Ne_Ef5w Buckles make for a good/great water break, but I still add prussics to my continuous loops just in case. The head end water breaks are red, the foot end are blue, which is handy when my hammock is in it's double ended stuff sack.

3. That works. I leave it on the hammock and store stuff like stuff sacks and spare stakes in there.

General tips:
    Foot end about a foot higher than head end is the sweet spot for most.
    Practice setting up before you go on the trail.
    Never hang higher than you're willing to fall.
    Thinking you're sitting down in your hammock when you're really missing the hammock and sitting down in your underquilt/underquilt protector is practically a rite of passage, but can be expensive. The way the WBBB netting zips into the underquilt fooled me once. If only I had been in the habit of looking rather than just feeling with my hand before I sat down.
    Thank you!! This helps immensely. I'll be practicing this week!

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Good first choice. I'm not going to add much more than has already been said except it is really helpful if you get your underquilt in a much different color than the hammock. I will eventually experience that right of passage because mine are practically the same color.

Ok, I lied. With the cinch buckles, I leave the webbing hanging out of the double ended stuff sack when taking it down off the trees, then just stuff it into each end of the stuff sack one side at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Good first choice. I'm not going to add much more than has already been said except it is really helpful if you get your underquilt in a much different color than the hammock. I will eventually experience that right of passage because mine are practically the same color.

Ok, I lied. With the cinch buckles, I leave the webbing hanging out of the double ended stuff sack when taking it down off the trees, then just stuff it into each end of the stuff sack one side at a time.
    Thanks!!! Ill keep that in mind!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast