Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket

Switch from whoopie slings to Beckett hitch - questions about ULW strap length, stretch

I've been using whoopie slings since day 1 and I'm considering switching to beckett hitching my hammock continuous loop to my tree straps. I'm researching some straps but hoping to get some thoughts before buying.

So far I've narrowed it down to ripstop Venoms or spider 1.5. Anyone know which of the 2 have less stretch? Or at least do they have less stretch that spider polys? I'm asking because I've been in a situation where I saw excessive stretching in either my 15' spider polys or whoopie slings (not sure which) and would like to avoid if possible.

Also, should 12' be enough? I'm worried about larger trees eating up the length especially if the trees are far apart. I don't know how to extend if I really needed to... What do you guys do for backup in this case?

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Spider is pretty awesome, I like them.

I think the length is enough. I always carry an extra strap just in case. It’s usually a super lightweight will do in a pinch sort of strap. We have some very LARGE trees around here - I once needed most of a strap just to get around the tree.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    Spider is pretty awesome, I like them.

I think the length is enough. I always carry an extra strap just in case. It’s usually a super lightweight will do in a pinch sort of strap. We have some very LARGE trees around here - I once needed most of a strap just to get around the tree.
    You carry just a single extra strap or one for each side?

Also, I've been reading that some here don't like these ULW webbings and swear by kevlar 3.3... It's not so much the weight I'm worried about but I just think at least my spider poly 15's roll up to be quite sizeable...

I use 12' Kevlar 1.9 straps to hammock loops via becket hitch, but carry UCRs for extra length. When I need the UCRs they sure are nice to have.

The 1.9 roll up too much for my taste. I intend to switch to 3.3.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    12 foot Kevlar, sold on Dutch's site. No stretch that I can perceive, rolls up fairly compact. I've had them for a bit over a year and haven't had an issue, though I know some people carry some UCRs or dogbanes just in case I haven't needed them. I would say that the hitch "settles" a bit under load but I don't think the straps themselves are stretching. I've become accustomed to that and just set the knot a few inches higher.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    You can get 15 foot straps, and then if needed, you can always cut extra length off.

Some choose straps that don’t get ropey with use, but still can easily form hitch. The strap can wad up and too much work to flatten strap.

Good idea to get continuous loops that have a built in pull loop. This helps you remove becket hitch after hanging all night. You can buy them ready made, or make your own. Plenty of videos on YouTube, describing their use and construction.

After learning to tie becket hitch, learn to tie becket hitch with an extra wrap, reducing chances of becket hitch slipping.

Always hand tighten, before careful and slow initial loading of hammock.

Also possible to include a slipknot in the bight or bunny rabbit ear of becket hitch, this slip knot will absolutely stop slipping in its tracks (after an inch slip, until slipknot has bumped into body of becket hitch) slipknot is too large to travel through becket hitch.

Many details that will be internalized, and hardly thought of, if even used.

The details are here so that you will not post that your suspension lowered you to ground during night.

A common mistake is trying to tie becket hitch around strap near continuous loop, instead of making the tie around continuous loop.

Good luck!

My only down side to the becket hitch is the likely wet hammock or quilt in a heavy rain. That knot isn’t much of a water break.
    As far as set up and take down, the becket hitch rocks.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rodentface View Post
    I use 12' Kevlar 1.9 straps to hammock loops via becket hitch, but carry UCRs for extra length. When I need the UCRs they sure are nice to have.

The 1.9 roll up too much for my taste. I intend to switch to 3.3.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Excellent! How did you get that strap up there on the left side of the photo? How high is it?

Kudos, nice hang.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    You carry just a single extra strap or one for each side?

Also, I've been reading that some here don't like these ULW webbings and swear by kevlar 3.3... It's not so much the weight I'm worried about but I just think at least my spider poly 15's roll up to be quite sizeable...

Just one extra strap to jury rig on whatever side is needed. If I need 48 feet of strap, I keep looking for closer trees! .

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Yeah I love the becket by the way. Since I switched to it I wondered what took me so long. Fastest and easiest setup and take down for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast