SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    The becket hitch is my preferred method as well. I am a big fan of Jeff Myers' strap options from myerstechhammocklab on eBay. He sells the same types of straps as the other vendors, but his prices are much better. Free shipping too.
    Thanks for the link. I saw Jeff had some hybrid straps that looked white with black edges that apparently didn't rope up but I can't find them for sale anywhere. Which straps in particular are you referring to? Also do they rope up and do you know how they compare to the kevlar 3.3 (my current top choice?)

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Thanks for the link. I saw Jeff had some hybrid straps that looked white with black edges that apparently didn't rope up but I can't find them for sale anywhere. Which straps in particular are you referring to? Also do they rope up and do you know how they compare to the kevlar 3.3 (my current top choice?)
    Any of the UHMWPE straps are going to roll up on you. I wouldn't go any lower than 2.2 g/ft., otherwise they'll slip with a standard becket hitch. You'd need to use a modified becket or j-bend.

I also know of the straps you're referring to w/ the black poly edges. I'd suggest reaching out to Jeff directly either via eBay, FB Messenger, or Etsy to see if he has some he can sell you.

Kevlar straps are fantastic, but pretty much impossible to get right now- so I don't really consider them as a viable option at the moment.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Any of the UHMWPE straps are going to roll up on you. I wouldn't go any lower than 2.2 g/ft., otherwise they'll slip with a standard becket hitch. You'd need to use a modified becket or j-bend.

I also know of the straps you're referring to w/ the black poly edges. I'd suggest reaching out to Jeff directly either via eBay, FB Messenger, or Etsy to see if he has some he can sell you.

Kevlar straps are fantastic, but pretty much impossible to get right now- so I don't really consider them as a viable option at the moment.
    I don't know what the issue is with Kevlar availability, and I've searched online quite a bit. Could be that the 3.3 and lighter stuff is all sourced in China and there's a production or import issue. I'm just glad I was able to snag one of Dutch's last pair, although I had to pay a premium because they had sewn-in Dutch clips, which I don't use... a shame I had to remove them with a Dremel because I didn't want to mess up the sewn loops!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Comparison of 12' Venom (UHMWPE) and 9' Kevlar 3.3, both 1" width. This Kevlar is dyed brown.

Not exactly apples-to-apples... Evo loops on Kevlar are 7/64 Amsteel and Venom Evo loops are 1.8mm Dynaglide. Venom weight is 55.1g and Kevlar is 77.2g.

Attachment 185473

After trying a bunch of straps (also using on the trail for real-world impression) I'll pick Kevlar every time for no-hardware use.

Also, recently I posted this pic in another thread that shows how UHMWPE webbing rolls up under load. It can be flattened but it's an annoying and time-consuming chore.

Attachment 185474
    As far as the straps rolling up under load, I’ve only been bothering to flatten out the part that goes around the tree. Most of that part is usually still flattened from the previous tree, so I might only have to smooth out 6”-12” - which literally only takes me 3-4 seconds. Should I be flattening the entire strap every time?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    As far as the straps rolling up under load, I’ve only been bothering to flatten out the part that goes around the tree. Most of that part is usually still flattened from the previous tree, so I might only have to smooth out 6”-12” - which literally only takes me 3-4 seconds. Should I be flattening the entire strap every time?
    I do the same thing. There's no need to flatten out the entire strap, unless you're just OCD about the appearance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    No, I only flattened out only the tree part but after hanging on some skinny trees the bunching extended all the way to the loop. And then when wrapping them around larger trees it was difficult to keep them from flattening out again during hammock setup.

I do the same thing. There's no need to flatten out the entire strap, unless you're just OCD about the appearance.

Haha, I'm definitely not OCD about that... with all my hammock straps I just wad them up and stuff them in the end of the hammock bag. One fine day last year while I was rolling them up all neat and tidy it occurred to me "Why the hell am I doing this?"
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Haha, I'm definitely not OCD about that... with all my hammock straps I just wad them up and stuff them in the end of the hammock bag. One fine day last year while I was rolling them up all neat and tidy it occurred to me "Why the hell am I doing this?"
    That's basically my method too. Except I do wrap them around my hand before stuffing them in the side pocket of my pack- though the wrap job is not orderly in any way.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    lol after my local test hang yesterday, this is how they look, as usual! Webbing_wadded_SMALL.jpg

I remembered the lesson from many years ago from some American Alpine Institute instructors that there are some things that need to be meticulously and properly stowed away and others that don't.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks, lol. I wasn’t trying to hijack, but if I didn’t know, I figured someone else may not know! I just started thinking I might be missing something important...didn’t want a strap to break because I wasn’t flattening all of it!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Thanks, lol. I wasn’t trying to hijack, but if I didn’t know, I figured someone else may not know! I just started thinking I might be missing something important...didn’t want a strap to break because I wasn’t flattening all of it!
    No, no breakage risk (AFAIK!) but it also doesn't hold knots as well as Kevlar. For example, Becket usually requires another wrap or stopper or some such backup, and my beloved Lapp Hitch can slip under load. And a J-Bend is fairly hard to release.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast