Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Can anyone comment on dogbone bury length for 7/64" amsteel? I made 2 6' dogbones following https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Y-KzF2PzE but it only instructed on 4" bury which I followed but now I read people claiming 4.59", 5.09", 6", 8.04" to be safe. My 4" bury includes a 1" taper as well... I'm getting short on amsteel so really only have a chance to make 2 more and would prefer not to have 8" buries if it's only for whoopies or obviously too short of a bury where it might fail. Lots of conflicting advice on this subject but my understanding from Samson's doc https://www.samsonrope.com/docs/defa...rsn=ae4d2872_2 it's 2 fids so 4.59" including taper but they don't describe taper angle... Also, I don't weigh 1200lbs either so perhaps my existing ones might be OK? Any experience with these guys failing on people?
    yeah, it's very confusing indeed, i know how you feel.

simply put, as far as i read in various places, people tested and confirm that the brummel lock itself will fail at about 60% line strength. call it 50% to be safe, and consider that the strength of you dogbone if the bury is too short (which is basically the truth btw, as the bury will slide and all the load will be taken by the brummel in such situations). if you're ok with that strength, then ok, but i advise at the very least least 5/1 safety factor for hammock suspension, ideally 10/1. do inspect the brummels regularly if you use them, you will see the signs of them taking up the load if that happened (ask me how i know...)

for whatever it is worth, i would concur that 4in is way too short a burry for 7/64 amsteel, so consider the strength of those dogbones the strength of the brummel. it's not about failure, but rather about being clear what strength you can rely on (there's a big difference between 95% line strength and 50% line strength, regardless if you weigh anywhere near any of the two percentages). "know your strength" (eh? not bad)

on a side note, as i have pointed out in another thread recently: if you want compact, don't make a short bury, consider using a knot which is tested and reliable in dyneema (like the water bowline in this case), you'll get about the same strength, but more compact profile, and a loud warning right in front of your eyes saying "this is a knot, not full strength dyneema", whereas a short burry will trick most people, and even us who made them sometimes.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    FYI if anyone cares here is the link for the same Myers' straps I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284318376185 I think he just put them up so have at 'em. They're a mix of dyneema and poly and 2.9gpf.

Hammock
    Town's End Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    FYI if anyone cares here is the link for the same Myers' straps I got: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284318376185 I think he just put them up so have at 'em. They're a mix of dyneema and poly and 2.9gpf.
    Thanks!!!
    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it"

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345