Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps

Thread tension? Maybe??

6572E360-F255-43E4-B880-15215E7BC725.jpg

Does anyone with more sewing knowledge happen to know what’s causing this? This is the bobbin thread, and it doesn’t matter how I adjust the tension. It’s a low end Brother sewing machine, and I don’t think there’s a way that I can actually adjust the bobbin tension. It also just seems to be getting worse the more I’ve been sewing the last couple of days. For that reason, I’m going to try cleaning it and hope that helps, but does anyone else know what’s going on?

I’ve definitely had enough small issues with this cheap machine that I’m considering an upgrade.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 ft 2.2 oz Hex 70
    Insulation
    HF wool DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling DIY
    I am not an expert in any sense of the word. But this looks like a tension issue that I had with my cheap singer. I took the bobbin out and the part that holds the bobbin. Then cleaned and oiled it. When I put it all back together it worked better. I hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    I’m no expert. And my machine is very old. This does look like a tension issue, though. Does the bobbin case not have a tiny screw on the side of it for adjusting tension?

A good cleaning can definitely help. I use q-tips dipped in alcohol to reach some of the harder to clean areas.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    What thread is it?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thank you. Yes, even to my amateur eye, it has every sign of being a bobbin tension issue. If there IS a way for me to fix it on this cheap machine, I’ll give it a go. Just wanted to see if there was something I wasn’t seeing.

And it’s Gutermann Mara 70.

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Mtn
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    DIY 2x UQ soon TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie / Marlin
    AmberG, my wife suggests making sure you can sew a good stitch on a more “ normal” fabric. Get the tension set correctly and then take some scraps of your quilt material to dial it in the rest of the way (if needed)

My wife, btw, helped put her self through school sewing bike packs. Only mentioning this because she says we must be crazy in the head for choosing to work with such difficult fabrics.

Fortunately, at least in my case, I am crazy in the head... and love my quilts, warts and all

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Mtn
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    DIY 2x UQ soon TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie / Marlin
    Also, I find nothing is more frustrating than sewing your own gear. Especially with these new high tech fabrics. Keep the faith, we are all pulling for you

Images
    Try putting regular thread (such as Gutterman Sews-All) in the machine and sew some scrap fabric. If the stitch improves then the heavy thread is causing the issue. My first down quilt is 10 years old and going strong despite being sewn with the above mentioned thread.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Lol thank you. That’s actually a good idea about trying a different fabric. Several months ago, I’d experienced a knocking sound, but it didn’t seem to happen when I was sewing “regular” fabric.

I found some instructions online about adjusting the bobbin tension, although I don’t know if I can do it on my machine. I’ll check it out when I get home from work (again, now everyone knows what I do when I’m supposed to be working...)

And yes, it’s a little stressful sometimes. The main reason I’m sewing my own stuff is to save money, but it kind of negates that when I have to start over with new fabric. I had to do that with the last quilt, so I figured I’d stop while I was ahead this time and get opinions first!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Try putting regular thread (such as Gutterman Sews-All) in the machine and sew some scrap fabric. If the stitch improves then the heavy thread is causing the issue. My first down quilt is 10 years old and going strong despite being sewn with the above mentioned thread.
    I’ll try that. I do have some tera and some sew all. They’re both gray, but that wouldn’t bother me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast