one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR

UV Fading

So back in January Jared from SLD made us some really nice camo, 1.6, Catch-All skins to keep the hammocks in. Unlike most people I live in my hammock and it's up almost everyday. I also spend most of my time in the desert.
    The skins were to keep it out of the sun and they are waterproof for the occasional rain shower when we're out of camp because I don't leave the tarp up.

As of now, 3 months later, the camo is noticeably fading.
    I contacted RSBTR and they said that the dys in their materials won't hold up to heavy UV exposure.

So now I'm looking for a camo material that is waterproof, can handle serious UV exposure, and still light & small enough to pack w/ me during travel. I don't really backpack but do bike and kayak travel as well as packing it as a carry-on for flights.

Any suggestions?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I think most fabrics fade, from exposure to sun.
    My old hammock is fading a bit. I look at it as, earning my wings.
    As people get old and begin to fade away, we get the pleasure of new life—children, grandchildren, great grandchildren.
    And as old gear becomes unusable, either through gear failure, or loss of shine—we get to enjoy the pleasure of brand new gear!

Good luck

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't think there is any fabric that can handle serious UV exposure.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I would imagine that anything short of some sort of milspec heavy canvas for desert tents is not going to last very long. Probably the only long-term solution is to take it down each morning and stow it.

A little OT, but I'd also worry about suspension webbing because UV can weaken it as well.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Not really what I was hoping to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I would imagine that anything short of some sort of milspec heavy canvas for desert tents is not going to last very long. Probably the only long-term solution is to take it down each morning and stow it.

A little OT, but I'd also worry about suspension webbing because UV can weaken it as well.
    That's where I came from, the milspec/heavy as crap world. Still have a 6.5 ton truck and starters that weigh 50lbs.
    Was hoping for some lightness & longevity out of this modern gear.

Well, I did pull down my good straps and light weight hammock. Guess it's back to my cotton Yucatan and Brazilian hammocks.
    I'm not a believer in having stuff that I don't use a lot, plus I don't really have much space to store things . . . I already have a 20° set of quilts that take up as much room as all my clothes . . . dilemmas, dilemmas . . .

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Maybe get another catch all and spray it with a UV protectant like: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXY3J9I/ref=emc_b_5_i

I've used this on cushions for my outdoor patio set. Seemed to do the trick. I applied it twice a year, flipping the cushions as well to try to even out the wear and tear. This stuff is also water repellant, so not sure if you need that as well.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Could you throw some olive green sun netting over it during the day? Most of those semi-open sun shades claim to block 70% of UV. a 70% improvement would more than double the life of the sock.

Something like this maybe? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P7FVX4/

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I was thinking along the lines of mcimes: cover the whole shebang during the day with a sacrificial material. A WalMart blue tarp would do the trick.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by mcimes View Post
    Could you throw some olive green sun netting over it during the day? Most of those semi-open sun shades claim to block 70% of UV. a 70% improvement would more than double the life of the sock.

Something like this maybe? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P7FVX4/
    I've been moving in this same direction lately. Mostly what we need is shade, so basically putting together the equivalent of a good winter tarp, only in the sun shade material. It would give the daytime shade needed and protect the waterproof catch-all's.
    I also noticed that the more desert colors, like "wheat", in that link are not only cheaper but also block more uv, "up to 90%."

FlTurtle - that's an idea that I'm going to look into as well to treat the catch-alls under the shadecloth.

Deadeye - the Walmart blue, I can't do.

• + New Posts