Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ

Anyone Tried the Sierra Puffle 20 multi-use blanket?

Been looking at the 20 degree down Puffle blanket as I really like the multi-use/modular approach, giving you the option to use it as a TQ, UQ, blanket by the fire, picnic blanket, etc.

Anyone tried it out and able to speak to it's quality and actual RL usefulness?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I've not tried it, but I will say that you will need both a top quilt and underquilt for hammock camping. With that said, I find it better to just purchase the dedicated quilts, because they are specifically designed to work perfectly for their intended application. The Puffle seems decent for what it is. But at that price, you can get a 20° top quilt or underquilt that will have at least 800fp down, as opposed to the 650fp used in the Puffle. Lastly, I would never bring my down quilts anywhere near a campfire, unless you want your quilt to resemble swiss cheese.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I've not tried it, but I will say that you will need both a top quilt and underquilt for hammock camping. With that said, I find it better to just purchase the dedicated quilts, because they are specifically designed to work perfectly for their intended application. The Puffle seems decent for what it is. But at that price, you can get a 20° top quilt or underquilt that will have at least 800fp down, as opposed to the 650fp used in the Puffle. Lastly, I would never bring my down quilts anywhere near a campfire, unless you want your quilt to resemble swiss cheese.
    I hear all that. The modularity is at least potentially advantageous for me because we are slowly migrating our family of 4 (with two kids under 10) from being tent campers to being hammock campers and it'll likely be a number of years until we have 4 hammocks with TQs and UQs for each, so the more versatile the gear that we have is in the meantime, the better (and the easier time I have convincing my wife to pull the trigger).

Duly noted about the hazard of putting a quilt by the fire. Guess I was thinking more of an "in camp" blanket for early mornings while we're making coffee and getting breakfast going...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Also what 20° 800fp quilt in the $200 price range might you point me to?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by himynameisJoseph View Post
    Also what 20° 800fp quilt in the $200 price range might you point me to?
    The Economy line from Hammock Gear will be in your price range.
    Top Quilt: https://hammockgear.com/economy-burrow-custom/
    Underquilts: https://hammockgear.com/economy-under-quilts/

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I hear all that. The modularity is at least potentially advantageous for me because we are slowly migrating our family of 4 (with two kids under 10) from being tent campers to being hammock campers and it'll likely be a number of years until we have 4 hammocks with TQs and UQs for each, so the more versatile the gear that we have is in the meantime, the better (and the easier time I have convincing my wife to pull the trigger).

Duly noted about the hazard of putting a quilt by the fire. Guess I was thinking more of an "in camp" blanket for early mornings while we're making coffee and getting breakfast going...
    You can always use your sleeping bags in the hammocks until you are able to afford top quilts. You can even use your sleeping bag in "top quilt mode" by zipping it up about 1/3 from the bottom to give yourself a foot box, then rotate it 90° so that the unzipped portion lays on top of you. I initially did this, and it works just fine.

With this method, you can just focus on purchasing underquilts first, and then tackle the top quilts later down the road.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    I recently purchased one for use as a top quilt. I'd already purchased a Cedar Ridge Outdoors 20° underquilt (synthetic) and was looking for a versatile top quilt to pair with it. The versatility of the Puffle intrigued me, although I may only try it as an underquilt as an experiment.
    I have not had the opportunity to use it yet, except as a blanket in the car while at a drive-in movie. I hope to use it in the next couple of weeks - the kids and I are going to get camping again soon! Keep an eye on their site and sign up for their mailing list - they often run sales ($20 off or similar) and notify the mailing list of these.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Costco DIY UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I recently purchased one for use as a top quilt. I'd already purchased a Cedar Ridge Outdoors 20° underquilt (synthetic) and was looking for a versatile top quilt to pair with it. The versatility of the Puffle intrigued me, although I may only try it as an underquilt as an experiment.
    I have not had the opportunity to use it yet, except as a blanket in the car while at a drive-in movie. I hope to use it in the next couple of weeks - the kids and I are going to get camping again soon! Keep an eye on their site and sign up for their mailing list - they often run sales ($20 off or similar) and notify the mailing list of these.
    Thanks for sharing, Jake. Don't think I've ever heard of Cedar Ridge. How do you like the underquilt? Have you tested it at or near the bottom of its range?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have not tried that specific blanket but I do have a cheap synthetic puffy blanket with snaps at the bottom to use as a top quilt. It packs down really light and works great.... down to about 50F or so. Strictly a summer option for me in MN.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Thanks for sharing, Jake. Don't think I've ever heard of Cedar Ridge. How do you like the underquilt? Have you tested it at or near the bottom of its range?
    It's like any other taco style underquilt, but it was the most reasonably priced quality one at the time. I've only used it into the upper 30's so far, and it worked well. I'm probably going to use again this weekend but it's only in the lower 50's here now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast