WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I appreciate the comments and I'm sure the other mods do as well.

I've been a moderator for a year and I'll offer my personal perspective.

We moderate based on what is in the Terms of Service (TOS). It's likely if you have an issue with the Mods, you really have an issue with the TOS for the site.

As both a mod and a site user since 2012, the most common threads/posts that I've seen get moderated are:
    • Marketplace posts that don't follow the Marketplace/TOS rules
    • All threads not directly related to hammocks are moved to the Donating Members section. Likewise, individual posts in the non-donating area that are non-hammock related/offtopic will be moderated
    • Posts that are about politics, religion, and firearms

If you have feedback or suggestions on the TOS or the site in general, you can post them in the Feedback, Suggestions and Site Questions subfoum.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcimes View Post
    This forum is over moderated IMO. Other forums do fine with a much looser grip on content. Not saying it should be the wild west of profanity, spam, and random posts, but this forum is monitored as tightly as west germany. far tighter than any other forum I have ever seen. I wouldnt mind less moderation

For example someone asked about a pack size for hammocking, but because the post wasnt specifically about ONLY hammocking it was moved to the donating forum after I had posted in a thread. Now I cant see/edit/follow a thread I posted in. I've been told "that inappropriate" for some pretty benign content. Barely PG rated. Its annoying compared to most other forums and definitely discourages posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Could it be, members are being gently persuaded to become paying members? To have full access to all forums?

Communication is key. And possibly some solutions have been discussed.
    But there will never be perfection, because life is not perfect.

Good luck to ALL of us!
    We aren't trying to persuade folks to become Donating Members (DMs). We don't like moving threads to the DM area, but if the topic and majority of posts are non-hammock related, then yes we'll move it to DM. Likewise, if a thread is hammock related but folks start adding a bunchof off-topic/non-hammock related posts, we'll moderate those posts so we can keep the thread in the non-DM area. I understand this can be frustrating for some but it is spelled out in the sites TOS (along with the reasons why).

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Could it be, members are being gently persuaded to become paying members? To have full access to all forums?

Communication is key. And possibly some solutions have been discussed.
    But there will never be perfection, because life is not perfect.

Good luck to ALL of us!
    That was my first thought.

And honestly, I think $10 is a very reasonable cost to have access to info and opinions that stray far wide of hammock-related content. And thanks to cougarmeat (and management!) we even have a UL gear forum that is a virtual gram-weenie paradise where any/all aspects can be discussed in detail.

I've had my 'knuckles rapped' by moderators a couple of times and a few posts moved or removed over the years, but in each case it was fair and reasonable.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12