1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps

Argon 49

After seeing Argon 49 being offered, several months ago, I’d been intrigued. I realize there are other 7D fabrics on the market, but from my understanding, they’re all over 0.5oz/square yard. Not only that, but they’re all more expensive. Considering Argon 67 is only $2.50 less per yard, the price for the 49 seemed very fair.

I’d been wanting to make a set of 40* down quilts, to compliment my 20* set, but I know first hand how thin the Argon 67 is. I was a little leery of using anything lighter. Others opined that anything that would damage one would likely damage the other, and I think that was my deciding factor.

So, I took the plunge and ordered enough of the 49 for both quilts, and I’m so glad I did! This stuff is so light, it’s ethereal - but sooo soft and silky. It’s going to make wonderful quilts! I’ve finally got the shells measured and cut, all that’s left is the sewing. Down will arrive soon. So excited!

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Mtn
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    DIY 2x UQ soon TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie / Marlin
    I could not agree more AmberG, my A49 quilt is so comfortable and silky soft. I swear it seems warmer too ( it’s so light it seems to just drape over your body and eliminate open areas). That said, it’s is more delicate than the A67, noticeably so (I have quilts made of both).

I find hammock camping very different than tenting/ground trapping. My gear does not take as much abuse. My quilts never really touch the ground and I’m pretty careful about making sure there is nothing below a hang that could damage the underquilts. I have not had a single issue with the A49 quilts on the trail but I also don’t feel like the quilts will last say 10 or 15 years like the A67s could (should?).

I’m so happy with A47 that I plan on making some super light and warm down apparel . Should work well on maintained trails and when pack weight matters ( and of course, when not grubbing around on the ground )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Yes, it’s definitely got that delicate feel. I think I worried about the durability a bit TOO much, or I would’ve ordered it sooner. It’s much stronger than it looks, which surprised me. I finally decided that if it was treated right, my money would be better spent going with the lighter fabric than the higher quality down.

I’d bought nanoseeum for the baffles, but it almost seems wrong to use a heavier material for the baffles! So I’m going to do as many as I can with the leftover Argon, also. After I save some for a pillow, of course!

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Mtn
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    DIY 2x UQ soon TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie / Marlin
    Hahaha, the idea that nanonoseeum is too heavy a fabric just goes to show how far material sciences have come. The advances are truly amazing. I can’t believe how strong, light, functional and available for the diy / myog crowd. It’s a Great time to have a few spools of thread!

Curious how you plan on dealing with the fraying though. I found fraying to be an even bigger issue with the argon 49 vs the 67. Various folded seams work well but can’t really see using a rolled seam for a baffle. Do you think a hot cut fabric edge will stand up to use over time?

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Lol that was my thought exactly. I ended up having enough Argon for all the baffles except 3, which will be noseeum (although I did have enough 0.5oz noseeum for those 3, so...score!). I’ve noticed it fraying a bit, but not overly so, I suppose. And it’s probably mainly due to me taping and untaping the edges multiple times to measure and mark. I was thinking about just sewing the Argon baffles without folding the long edges over 1/4in, but it might not be as fiddly to fold it as I thought. If I don’t fold it, I’ll probably make sure I leave a good bit past the seam line. I’m not too worried about it fraying once the quilts are sewn up - certainly not enough to unravel and come loose. I’ll have to decide for sure before I get off work.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I do think a hot cut would be better, but I’m straight line challenged with a pair of scissors as it is - not a good idea for me to add a hot knife to the equation

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Mtn
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    DIY 2x UQ soon TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie / Marlin
    Hahaha, and here I thought it was the rotary cutting making my cuts wavy. But I must say, these new lighter and stretchy materials are a challenge to cut.

I know you are a skilled diy’er from other threads so I thought I’d ask about the fraying issue. Sounds like it’s my turn to be “over worried” about something that’s really not a big deal. I really have no worries about using such thin material for specific uses and, now, sounds like I can relax about fraying too.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I have the Argon 90 Dutch shorts and so far they have survived about 5 days of camping, sitting on rocks, scrambling, and 60 miles of hiking with some minor-to-medium brushy squeezes. (I know they're 'only laundry shorts' but they work well as UL hiking shorts at ~33 grams! a really cheap way to cut skin-out-weight)

So far they have held up great, and I would think sitting on them is much, much more abusive than what a UQ would see. A TQ might be a little more precarious, but if you're careful I bet you'll be fine.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Right. I used the 90 for the outer shell of my first quilt (an UQ), but I honestly felt it was more durable than it needed to be. After all, it goes from pack to hammock and back to the pack. For the 2nd quilt (TQ), I used the 69 for the whole thing, and it’s been fine.

I did hesitate about the 49 until I reasoned that most accidents that are likely to happen would almost certainly damage either one. In that case, let’s get the lighter one. That was my reasoning, anyway.

I’d love to try making a wind shell or something out of the 90, though. It seems perfect for that! It’s good to hear how it’s holding up for you with ‘real world’ use. While I feel it’s a little overkill for my UQ, I was curious about it’s durability for a shell fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    I’d love to try making a wind shell or something out of the 90, though. It seems perfect for that! It’s good to hear how it’s holding up for you with ‘real world’ use. While I feel it’s a little overkill for my UQ, I was curious about it’s durability for a shell fabric.
    I've seen that Timmermade makes a wind jacket out of Argon 90. 1.8oz! It looks like a great piece of gear.
    https://timmermade.com/product/argon...llover-jacket/.

• + New Posts