Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    I might give the Lawson cord a try, since so many people seem to really like it. I’d looked at it before, but on the website, the starting price looked like $46. I thought, “holy cow! I can buy a mini spool of zing-it for less than that!” Now I see that it’s actually $8 and change, since I tried selecting an actual option. Much more reasonable...especially since that’s about what I paid for the paracord.
    50' hank of 2mm Glowire is $13.50. However, if you use a 30' 1-piece ridge line, that leaves only 5' for each corner so you might consider getting 2 hanks if you want longer corner guys, which it's likely you will for using porch mode. Glowire is a bit heavier than zing-it but is SO MUCH more knot friendly and tangle resistant and better handling that it is totally worth it.

If you're using Ti shepherd hooks, it's very easy to slide the clove hitch around the hook end to release. I haven't done it, but I could imagine a zing-it clove hitch very hard to untie. It is also possible to tie a slipped clove hitch, although I find it unnecessary with shepherd hooks.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    The tarp has the Beastie D rings, so my pole tips fit well in them. I guess I just need to make sure the handles are seated good on the ground.

And yes, the clove hitch is often the easiest for me to employ, and they work very well with the shepherd hooks. They slide right off the next morning. It definitely gave me problems with the Y and V stakes, since it was more difficult to loosen. For those stakes, a MSH has been working much better. I usually carry a few of the Y and V stakes, but the hooks are what I use the most. The soil can be so rocky here.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Just be careful with pole handles at the ground... I've had critters chew them for the salt.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Just be careful with pole handles at the ground... I've had critters chew them for the salt.
    When I run out of extra toasty Cheez-Its, things get weird.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Lol. I’ve only had them grab things and run, so far.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    When I run out of extra toasty Cheez-Its, things get weird.
    That's funny because I love those extra toasties and ate them for 3 days on the trail recently.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    Lol. I’ve only had them grab things and run, so far.
    I'm so paranoid about it now that when not using porch mode I quickly clove hitch them to my suspension webbing so that critters can't shimmy up the trees and get to them.

trek_pole_Hammock_suspension.jpg

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    That’s actually a good idea. I’m a pretty light sleeper, but noises can be mistaken. For example, I distinctly remember hearing the rustling of DCF early on the morning of the stolen spoon, but I assumed it was the floppy tarp flapping and didn’t peek out to check. Would I hear something gnawing on a pole handle? Maybe not.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’ve had raccoons unzip a bag to get some cheese. And carry a paddling bootie about 20 ft before deciding it wasn’t food. Battery powered motion sensor lights are cheap. Sometimes, when hammock camping, I put one on the picnic table or other “traffic” place around camp. If something makes a noise that wakes me up, I have a better chance of seeing it. Once triggered, the sensor light goes out in a minute or so. It can be an alternative to reflective guy line because it can illuminate your hammock when you return from a night walk, then turn off as you are snuggle back in the UQ.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Well, I certainly knew better, for sure. I’ll never know where they took it off to - I searched the entire vicinity and not one *shred* of evidence of the thievery. I guess I just didn’t expect anything to come right up to me like that. I wasn’t even a foot away. Those motion sensors sound interesting. I usually keep my headlamp looped around my wrist (so I don’t lose it somewhere in the quilt and hammock), but that requires me actually waking up and turning it on. I’ve thought about setting up a trail cam once or twice, out of sheer curiosity, but I don’t think I’d want to see what might come sniffing around in the middle of the night! In this case, ignorance may be bliss. Lol

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Speaking of raccoons. Sorry one more OT post. I'd pay $100 to throw a bag of marshmallows in the dumpster

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast