SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket

Tarp sleeve / snake skins for Superfly + separate ridgeline w/ prusiks

I had snake skins on my Hennessy hammock a long time ago and thought it was pretty cool except for how hard and knotted it packed into the stuff sack. Basically, my tarp stuff sack didn't feel uniform and soft anymore.

One thing on my list for this summer is to figure out a way to furl up my Superfly when it's not raining. I see there are mesh tarp sleeves now from a few makers and I'm curious to try them out and see how they work out for me. I'll prob opt for the single sleeve.

Trying to think of the design in my head, I'm not sure if it will work though since I have 25' length of lash-it I use as my ridgeline that I deploy first then attach my tarp to it using 2 prusiks at the tieouts.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of setup? Also, for those with some mesh skins and the superfly, does it pack nicely in the stuff sack or does it end up hard as a bumpy rock? Also unsure what the main diff of tapered ends vs not for this application, is it to streamline the shape a bit?

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    I have a super fly, I have some simply light designs tarp sleeves with pockets. I store my ridge line in the pocket and when it’s time to put the tarp up, I can easily grab it.

I keep my guylines on my stakes, and I put the tarp (in the snakeskin) into a double sided stuff sack. The stuff sac is extraneous, but I don’t care. I like it anyway.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    For your setup, the prussiks will work. I just got tired of using them since they tend to jam up on me and readjusting is more of a hassle. I have a Thunderfly with the Dutch continuous ridgeline on (hook on one end, wasp on the other, with the tarp attached using prussiks). I haven't changed it out, even though the prussiks are annoying. I also rigged it with shock cord loops on the corner tieouts and use hook worms on Zing-it attached to my stakes. When I got the Superfly, I went with a different approach using split ridgelines and attaching the guylines to the tarp.

I use a Dutch one piece mesh sleeve for my 11' Superfly. There are pockets on both ends of the sleeve. Only one end is tapered.

I have 6' Zing-it guy lines larksheaded to the corner tie outs. I use shock cord and mitten hooks for the doors. I'll use them to keep the doors pulled back. To close the doors, I just clip the mitten hook to the opposite corner. I also have some extra 10' lengths of Zing-it if I want to set up porch mode using my trekking poles, or to use the pull outs. I store those in the sleeve pockets.

For the ridgeline, I use a pair of Dutch Stingerz each with 15' Zing-it, to deal with bigger trees since you have to wrap it around the tree and attach to the antenna on the Stingerz. I like that it's super easy (compared to prussiks) to adjust the tarp to get it centered over the hammock: loosen one end, take up the slack on the other. If you're hiking and camping at different sites each night with different tree gaps, the prussiks will have to be adjusted.

All this will fit in the mesh sleeve. And, it will all cram into the Superfly stuff sack. Not quite a lumpy rock, but close. However, I normally just roll it up and wrap the ridgeline around it to keep it contained and store it in my pack mesh pocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    For your setup, the prussiks will work. I just got tired of using them since they tend to jam up on me and readjusting is more of a hassle. I have a Thunderfly with the Dutch continuous ridgeline on (hook on one end, wasp on the other, with the tarp attached using prussiks). I haven't changed it out, even though the prussiks are annoying. I also rigged it with shock cord loops on the corner tieouts and use hook worms on Zing-it attached to my stakes. When I got the Superfly, I went with a different approach using split ridgelines and attaching the guylines to the tarp.

I use a Dutch one piece mesh sleeve for my 11' Superfly. There are pockets on both ends of the sleeve. Only one end is tapered.

I have 6' Zing-it guy lines larksheaded to the corner tie outs. I use shock cord and mitten hooks for the doors. I'll use them to keep the doors pulled back. To close the doors, I just clip the mitten hook to the opposite corner. I also have some extra 10' lengths of Zing-it if I want to set up porch mode using my trekking poles, or to use the pull outs. I store those in the sleeve pockets.

For the ridgeline, I use a pair of Dutch Stingerz each with 15' Zing-it, to deal with bigger trees since you have to wrap it around the tree and attach to the antenna on the Stingerz. I like that it's super easy (compared to prussiks) to adjust the tarp to get it centered over the hammock: loosen one end, take up the slack on the other. If you're hiking and camping at different sites each night with different tree gaps, the prussiks will have to be adjusted.

All this will fit in the mesh sleeve. And, it will all cram into the Superfly stuff sack. Not quite a lumpy rock, but close. However, I normally just roll it up and wrap the ridgeline around it to keep it contained and store it in my pack mesh pocket.
    Seems as though we started at opposite methods: I used to use the 15' zing-it + dutch stingerz and since last summer I'm really liking the CRL + prusiks. Haven't had them really jam up on me yet but if they do I'll prob stop using 1.8mm lash-it on lash-it and get the 2.2mm zing-it for CRL and something around 1mm for the prusik continuous loops.

Some further thoughts I had about this last night:

Do you feed the tarp and CRL through the sleeve and leave it that way or put the sleeve on the tarp only? I always mount my tarp under my CRL and there is a bit of a snag but I don't think enough of one to rip the sleeve apart in high wind? Also if the CRL is through the sleeve, then my method of larkheading my CRL to the first tree won't really work and will need to research a new knot. I use a truckers hitch on the opposite side for my CRL,

For my guy lines, I just bought 6 MSR groundhog stakes and 2 groundhog minis as I got tired of hunting good sticks to use and have had many pull out or break on me. I MSH 1.8mm zing-it to my stake then up to my tarp worms which works well. I couldn't find a fast way of wrapping my 6' guy lines to my stakes so I wrap them separately. If the skins keep things nice and not tangled, I may consider doing what you do and larksheading my guy lines to tarp tieouts. One side can always be ~4' that go to ground but the other side of my superfly I sometimes do porch mode and need a bit longer. Also if I find a distant tree, I sometimes need up to 20' to get there too... Seems to always be evolving and WIP!

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    I use a ridgeline with prussiks for my Superfly too, and once I got the setup done everything goes into the two piece snakeskin. The ridgeline (yellow zingit) goes through the snakeskin and the excess rolled up and tucked in the ends. In re the tapered ends, I assumed it was to make sure they stay at the end of the rainfly when it's deployed.

As far as packing goes, it does pack harder but it is a fair amount of fabric to be stuffed into snakeskins and then into a stuffsack. As long as I pack it away evenly it doesn't feel noticeable lumpy.

snakeskins will be a bit more bulky than a stuff sack only (not to mention just the tarp), it's kind of unavoidable.

i personally prefer the snakeskins on the crl (not just on the tarp), and keep my tarp connected to the crl most of the time. if i wanted to be able to separate them, there's generally enough space between tarp tieout and crl to "park them", so that can work too. i also prefer the tarp hanging under the crl.

i pack the whole thing without any stuff sack or compression stack, i pack it "in flight": once snakeskins are on, i detach one end of the ridgeline, and then "z-fold" the tarp as it stands in the snakskins (so harmonica style, not roll), i have a piece of paracord which i rigged with my knot tensioning system, i use it to wrap the whole tarp as it is packed, and then pull on the tail to tighten it to taste (i don't like using the ridgeline for that as it tends to make a mess, i don't mind having one more piece of string for this purpose, can be handy for other things too anyway). this way when i deploy i just need to attach one end to the tree (i usually attach to my treestraps, but directly to tree can work too), then walk to the other tree (with the sausage unfolding as i walk) and attach there too, i have my tensioning system setup on the CRL too, so now i just pull on the tail at either end to tension the ridgeline. because of this ease and reliability of deployment and pack up, and the fact i don't need the tarp to ever touch the ground, i don't mind the added bulk, especially once the stuff sack is gone -- i do tend to hate stuf sacks, especially for large items like tarps, it always feels like it takes forever to cram something in them, and it's never consistent (so bias there).

instead of prusiks, i prefer to use the blake hitch, with the so called uni-shackle i presented in another thread here. the knots combination of the uni-shackle you can use for your quick connect/release at the end of the ridgeline opposite to your truckers hitch, btw. (described here 'uni-shackle" if interested). ah, and if you like the truckers hitch, you are welcome to also use the "uni-shackle" with the blake hitch as a re-positionable loop, instead of having to tie one every time (but it's called cheating, make sure nobody sees you)
    Last edited by nanok; 05-02-2021 at 13:59.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I’m using a CRL that goes inside the snakeskins. Instead of prussiks I’m using hardware but same principle.
    Nothing will ever be as compact as a tarp by itself inside a stuff sack. I don’t find the snakeskins add much bulk.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Regarding the tapered ends, I have a single snakeskin with one tapered end and one that gathers with a shock cord. Now that I have used it, if I bought another one, I would choose that both ends have shock cord. It is just more secure.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Do you feed the tarp and CRL through the sleeve and leave it that way or put the sleeve on the tarp only? I always mount my tarp under my CRL and there is a bit of a snag but I don't think enough of one to rip the sleeve apart in high wind? Also if the CRL is through the sleeve, then my method of larkheading my CRL to the first tree won't really work and will need to research a new knot. I use a truckers hitch on the opposite side for my CRL,
    I run the tarp under the CRL, with prussiks. Everything is run through the mesh sleeve. Just run the free end of line through one end of the sleeve and pull it over. When the tarp is deployed, the sleeve is just scrunched up on one end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    As far as the prussics jamming up, a pull loop like what Myers uses works great.
    I do have a CRL and a tarp attached by prussics. I skin the tarp w/ the ridgeline and tuck the rest of the CRL into end pockets on the one piece skin. I then fold or roll (depends on what I'm doing w/ it) and mostly put it in a dry bag for bike or kayak packing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast