Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Thanks nanok. I did read your other post on what you call to be a uni-shackle and I understand you mean to tie that in the standing part of the CRL in lieu of the truckers hitch loop but I'm still unclear how the working end of the line attaches to the uni-shackle? Also, does your method provide for a 3:1 working advantage like the truckers hitch?
    the idea is to replace the loop of the truckers hitch, which you would normaly tie in the mainline, with a loop that you can slide wherever you want, and that can be opened and closed at will. the uni shackle provides a tail to form the friction hitch on the main line (i prefer the blake, but it could be another), and the other end is the closable loop. the working end comes back from the tree, and you close the loop of the uni-shackle around it (so you don't need to put the whole line through a loop, the loop closes around it), then you use it exactly as a normal truckers hitch: same 3:1* advantage, same method to lock it off, etc (this is for the simple method to solve the trouble you had during the storm, if adding a second shackle to make a self-supporting truckers hitch, that would provide "progress capture", that's a bit different.

*3:1 is theorethical, iirc some experiments showed that, when making the truckers hitch with rope only, due to friction the real mechanical advantage is closer to 2:1 (still nice though)

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    the idea is to replace the loop of the truckers hitch, which you would normaly tie in the mainline, with a loop that you can slide wherever you want, and that can be opened and closed at will. the uni shackle provides a tail to form the friction hitch on the main line (i prefer the blake, but it could be another), and the other end is the closable loop. the working end comes back from the tree, and you close the loop of the uni-shackle around it (so you don't need to put the whole line through a loop, the loop closes around it), then you use it exactly as a normal truckers hitch: same 3:1* advantage, same method to lock it off, etc (this is for the simple method to solve the trouble you had during the storm, if adding a second shackle to make a self-supporting truckers hitch, that would provide "progress capture", that's a bit different.

*3:1 is theorethical, iirc some experiments showed that, when making the truckers hitch with rope only, due to friction the real mechanical advantage is closer to 2:1 (still nice though)
    RE: truckers hitch mechanical advantage: my mistake, I think it is 2:1 by default but I believe you can tie in more than 1 inline truckers hitch to give 3:1, 4:1, etc...

I think I get your setup now: the key is to replace the loop of the trucker's hitch with something that's openable to "hook" around the working end that is fed around the tree then tie it off like you would a trucker's hitch using one or two slippery half hitches. From what I understand the unishackle is basically prussik'd to the standing line and I suppose that should hold pretty well under load. I'll certainly experiment with this in a few weeks when I go camping again for 2 weeks in 3-4 weeks time. Since I use 1.75mm lashit as my tarp CRL I'll try to make the unishackle using the same (I really don't want to order more cordage )

Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    RE: truckers hitch mechanical advantage: my mistake, I think it is 2:1 by default but I believe you can tie in more than 1 inline truckers hitch to give 3:1, 4:1, etc...
    you are not wrong, it is 3:1 theorethically, it's only friction which brings it down to significantly less in most applications. having said that it's not that important, as we don't really need the mechanical advantage for our applications.

I think I get your setup now: the key is to replace the loop of the trucker's hitch with something that's openable to "hook" around the working end that is fed around the tree then tie it off like you would a trucker's hitch using one or two slippery half hitches. From what I understand the unishackle is basically prussik'd to the standing line and I suppose that should hold pretty well under load.
    that's exactly what i mean, yes. i just don't recommend the prusik itself as the friction knot, as it tends to jam and generally is not the best solution. a blake or farrimond would be my first choices for using a uni-shackle (or a VT, valdotain tresse, but for that you'd need the uni-shackle to be transformed to have a loop at one end)

I'll certainly experiment with this in a few weeks when I go camping again for 2 weeks in 3-4 weeks time. Since I use 1.75mm lashit as my tarp CRL I'll try to make the unishackle using the same (I really don't want to order more cordage )
    dyneema friction hitches on dyneema, espcially same diameter, doesn't work very well in my experience. i would suggest using some other type of line which is maleable (bends easily) and is not too thick. in this case up to 2mm or so should work nicely. i would test as a proof of concept before going out, but that's just me. i'd use whatever cord that's thin enough you have handy for a test, and see if you like the concept and operation of it, before going farther with it

having said all that, this is a better (more practical) way of rigging a truckers hitch, however i don't recommend a truckers hitch for the tarp ridgeline, i think it is overcomplicated and can even be harmful to the trees. things can be rigged even simpler with a uni-shackle or something similar at each end of the ridgeline: what i do is i keep a uni-shackle with the tending loop pre-rigged at each end, parked right next to the similar shackle which connects the tarp to the ridgeline. when i deploy the tarp, i just slide the "floating" shackle along and away from the tarp, as i play out the ridgeline from the hank it is bundled in, and when i reach the treestrap i simply connect the shackle to it, then i pull on the loose end of the ridgeline behind the shackle to tighten the ridgeline. it's simple and it works every time the same way, no need to re-tie anything or such. something similar can be rigged if you don't want to use the treestrap, and would rather go around the tree separately with the ridgeline (but i don't know why you would want that).

anyway, it looks a bit like this (though this is an older setup, the shackle pictured is not the uni-shackle, and the friction hitch is the VT, it works exactly the same way though). note that in this short clip i show how you can also get mechanical advantage if you need it, but while still maintaining progress capture (no need to tie anything off with half hitches or such, it just stays where you put it)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234