Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Yea 52” per side feels a lot less than say a SuperFly.
    But it is a bit more than the 102” total (8’6”) of the HammockGear standard with doors. I still think you can get good rain coverage by making sure your hammock ridgeline is tucked right close to the tarp and not being too close to the ground to get backsplash (avoiding hard pack ground helps).
    I don’t usually camp so tight to the tarp but it’s gonna be a heavy rain I do.
    This is key, pitching the tarp right down to the hammock's SRL. I've done multi-day trips with considerable rain and nastiness with a standard hex (no doors) and it can work ~adequately~ well when pitched low. Some people like the tarp pitched high enough that they can walk in and out without having to stoop, so if you need that sort of clearance and at the same time want storm-worthiness, nothing short of a quonset hut is going to suffice!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Great ideas all. Thanks for the inputs. Im going to get some of those stick on loops from z packs and see if they hold decently on the tyvek. If so, then I can loop onto the existing tie outs on the tarp to hold both edges together. That way Im not modifying the dyneema. I can then use some stick on loops on the other end of the tyvek to stake to the ground. Fingers crossed...
    Last edited by Crawldaddy; 05-01-2021 at 12:26.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Yea 52” per side feels a lot less than say a SuperFly.
    But it is a bit more than the 102” total (8’6”) of the HammockGear standard with doors. I still think you can get good rain coverage by making sure your hammock ridgeline is tucked right close to the tarp and not being too close to the ground to get backsplash (avoiding hard pack ground helps).
    I don’t usually camp so tight to the tarp but it’s gonna be a heavy rain I do.
    The problem is the 12' tarp: it's gonna ride higher to clear the suspension of an 11' hammock compared to an 11' tarp, so that side protection doesn't extend as far down as possible. My 11' Thunderfly is 103" wide, and I can get it cranked down low enough that I've never thought I need to add something extra. The small end beaks function well enough compared to full size doors. If it was windy winter temps, I'd go with my Superfly for the better wind protection.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    The problem is the 12' tarp: it's gonna ride higher to clear the suspension of an 11' hammock compared to an 11' tarp, so that side protection doesn't extend as far down as possible. My 11' Thunderfly is 103" wide, and I can get it cranked down low enough that I've never thought I need to add something extra. The small end beaks function well enough compared to full size doors. If it was windy winter temps, I'd go with my Superfly for the better wind protection.
    Good point. I forgot about this particular drawback of the longer tarp. I wonder if the tarp ridgeline has to be pulled taught or if there can be a slight catenary curve, allowing it to be closer to the hammock ridgeline.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12