Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

This is Harriman

Full DISCLAIMER: This is not a hammock trip report, I slept on the ground!!! I know these are hammock forums and I am a donating member, so I will still post my trip reports and videos for anyone interested, hanging or ground dwelling.
    I also know there is a pretty large Harriman following sub forum post here... so sit back and enjoy this trip report..

I went for another short solo overnight trip thru Harriman State Park in NY on Sunday to Monday. Original plans were to go to PA for 2 nights with the family, but plans fell thru so instead of taking a 5 hour drive, I decided to go 1.5 hours away and head into Harriman State Park for a nice solo trip. After some heavy rains I was stoked for this trip as I knew the water would be plenty and the creeks, brooks and small water falls would be flowing nicely throughout the park. So naturally, I mapped out my trip to hike along plenty of these creeks throughout the day and I decided to camp along a beautiful lake in hopes of getting a wild sunset with the breaking clouds at dusk. Starting the trip with my total pack weight of 7.8 lbs (minus food and water), I was excited to be back outside and I was definitely stoked for some “ME” time and doing it solo. I carried my gear in my beloved Gossamer Gear Kumo pack and while my video is not a gear review of any kind, I did take a few minutes to talk about what i did pack with me on this trip. I also gave a lot of love to my Gatewood Cape and Serenity innernet.. if you watch the video and want to see why, you can skip straight to approximately minutes 14:50 and see it pitched with an absolute gorgeous sunset in the following minutes. I was smart and happy to bring the innernet with me for this trip as the bugs were nasty for an hour or so at camp..and even after hiking 11 miles, I had plenty “ME” time to relax and take it all in. Overnight became VERY VERY windy, and the Cape handled it without any concerns at all. Anyway.. hope you enjoy the video.. take your time and enjoy the 43 minutes and get a sample of Harriman at its finest through my perspective, or by all means, skip through to which ever parts of the video may be of interest to you..

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Great video, nice relaxing trip.

Man that wind was howling. Surprised that turkey vulture didn't skeedaddle immediately.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Yeah.. that wind was actually settling down at that point in video. During the night it was blowing so loud and fierce I was waiting for a house to land on me!!!! And Yes.. the turkey vulture just stood his ground.. and he was just about where I had to go.. close by.. he didn't care!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    You’re gonna have to tell me how you got to 7.8lbs. Lol! Omg, even mapped out, and spending another $500 on a DCF fair weather tarp and an 18oz pack, I’m looking at not much less than 9. And I thought this gram weenie was doing good!!!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    20210424_151555.jpg

Hmmmm.... ok

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Gossamer Gear Kumo.. no hipblet
    Gossamer Gear 1/8 thinlight pad
    Neoair Xlite regular/wide (no stuff sack)
    Enlightened Equipment Enigma 20° 900 fill
    Sea to Summit Aeros pillow
    Nylafoam pack liner??? think thats what it is called
    Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape
    Six Moon Designs Serenity Nettent
    Sea to Summit bug head net
    Small, minimal first aid kit
    Poop kit.. duece #2, bidet, 4 compression wipes, small hand sanitizer
    Steripen
    Garmin inreach mini
    Trail Designs 400 ml Ti-Tri cookset/ esbit
    Patagonia Nano Puff
    1 pair smartwool socks ( for sleeping)
    Arc'Teryx rain pants/jacket

I think that is everything.. I went over it all in the video.. its not much.. Pro Tip... Dont pack anything extra!!! Just take what you need. The only thing I packed that I did not use was my rain pants!! It was raining beginning day 1, but I did not need to put them on. It was also very windy overnight and morning day 2, so I could have used them as wind protection.. but I did not. However.. I did not mind bringing them for slight weight penalty and insurance!!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Great video Dirtbag! Some of your trail footage reminds me of the hiking in AR... rocks, rocks & more rocks! The video shots of your evening's campsite with the fire & sunset was a nice touch. Harriman seems like a pretty big State Park & a pretty area for sure... I bet in the Fall when the leaves are turning, it's really something. Nice too that it's so close by.

Using your Gatewood Cape reminds me of my tarping days...definitely the way to go for helping minimize base pack weight.

Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by ObdewlaX; 04-29-2021 at 08:46.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    @Obdewlax.. thanks. Yeah.. lots of rocks, lol. A perfect camp site too to end my day of hiking. The sunset was gorgeous and I was not planning on a campfire, but like I said in video.. that fire log was sitting there with a stack of fire wood.. just staring at me as sun was setting!!!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    You’re gonna have to tell me how you got to 7.8lbs. Lol! Omg, even mapped out, and spending another $500 on a DCF fair weather tarp and an 18oz pack, I’m looking at not much less than 9. And I thought this gram weenie was doing good!!!
    I can't even get under 20lb total for a 3-day. I really just need a "UL guide" to pack everything for me and take me along. Food and everything. Show me how to "UL". I'd probably cry a little after dinner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast