Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The TacBlades version will actually give you 200% line strength but with the theoretical possibility that the burys could back out.

The locked brummel method is only 90/100% line but cannot have the burys back out.

In reality, I think the TacBlades version is just fine. Actually deliberately backing out one of the burys is difficult enough to do and I don't think that is ever going to happen when under load.

To test one out, I made a TacBlades version a few months ago and have been using it as a connection point on my homemade cable machine in the garage gym ever since. It's been loaded and unloaded several times a week for the best part of 4 months and is still in one piece with no signs of the burys backing out...
    Indeed, I'm not going to go and change out all of them now, but going forward when replacement is needed. In the long run it makes no practical difference for this application.

But at least now I've been schooled properly on the structural aspect.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

uggh, i didn't mean it as schooling, sorry if it came across that way.

the version with no brummel (functionally the same as the tacblades one) is indeed fine strength wise, and indeed one could argue "security of the splice", when the continuous loop is meant to be larksheaded forever, might not be that big a factor. i just would leave out the thing-that-looks-like a locked brummel, to avoid confusion etc. and i'd stitch it (but that's just me).

early on when i was starting to play with splices, i made one of these without a lock, looked at it, pulled hard on it, tested it and decided "hmm. this is not coming out". so decided not to stitch it. i put it in my pocket and edc-ed it for a week or two. didn't use it almost at all (what would one use a continuous loop that can handle two metric tons in an office for? it's silly, of course). just by being in my back pocket (without company), it started to pull out. the dyneema rope i use is looser braided than the samson (amsteel) that's common over there, but there you have it, first class anecdotal evidence.

what macca says about the "flipped brummel" (the actual locked one) is very interesting, and i would agree: i would not expect it to be very strong, as the buries wouldn't be taking much of the load (and brummels, even unflipped ones, are quite weak). that's why i'd stitch them, or, rather, use some sort of softshackle. the l-36 version the OP linked i like a lot better (i just made one today), i'm just struggling to find any way to use it which i would not rather use a softshackle for. and i have no shortage of softshackles here.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Nanok, rest assured I did not mean 'schooled' in a negative way. As a young fellow, I always liked school so for me it has a positive connotation!

It is also a healthy thing to be able to admit one's mistakes or misunderstandings and move on.

Which is why I very much like our OZ friends' response 'No worries, mate.'
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Nanok, rest assured I did not mean 'schooled' in a negative way. As a young fellow, I always liked school so for me it has a positive connotation!

It is also a healthy thing to be able to admit one's mistakes or misunderstandings and move on.

Which is why I very much like our OZ friends' response 'No worries, mate.'
    cheers mate!

same goes here: liked learning, still do, always appreciate to be corrected (with arguments/reason) -- that's to say, never hold back, call me out

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    OzTrail???
    Insulation
    Tentsile sky pad
    Suspension
    DIY single line
    But a locked brummel can loose up to 30% of line strength.

Ive gone of them and use a straight loop and stitch the bury to keep it tight-never failed me

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12