Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno

Are hammocks camping bad for the back?

Hey there, What are your opinions on it? Is it really bad for one's back?
    Though I did hammock several times but didn't face those types of issues.
    So, is there anyone who actually went through that problem or knows the actual explanation on this matter?

Quote Originally Posted by hammockguy457 View Post
    Hey there, What are your opinions on it? Is it really bad for one's back?
    Though I did hammock several times but didn't face those types of issues.
    So, is there anyone who actually went through that problem or knows the actual explanation on this matter?
    There are a lot of people who have good nights sleep in gathered end hammocks.
    Im not of them. I wanted to be. I tried a bunch of different ones. wider, longer, asymetrical.
    I read up on everything, adjusting hanging, higer one end, lower one end, tuning ridge line,
    watched every shug video. Still my back was sore. Probably says more about me than the hammock, i dont know.

I gave in and got the amok draumr instead for better lay.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    On a person-by-person basis, hammocks are not guaranteed to be good or bad for anyone's back because there are so many variables involved. The same can be said to be true for beds or sleeping on the ground or sleeping in a recliner. I've tried all of the above and the only method of sleeping that helped my back and allowed me to sleep well and not be crippled with pain during the next day was hammock sleeping.

But that is my own personal experience. The next person may not have the same result. I ended up sleeping full time in a hammock only after trying everything else, but luckily I didn't have to try all of hammock styles in order to find one that works well for me.

I noticed that you are using an Eno hammock. Since they are typically shorter than the 10' or 11' hammocks made by cottage vendors, many users report that they have a hard time getting comfortable due to the inability to lay flat. Is that your experience?
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG 12ft. Sil Poly
    Insulation
    SLD Trail Winder
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    All I can tell you is I first tried a hammock indoors because of back issues with the bed. It worked for me. That said, I mostly sleep in a bed at home now, but do have my bonus room set up for hanging whenever I feel like it. No science here, just pain free.
    ~ Rerun

In 100 years it won't make any difference...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    On a person-by-person basis, hammocks are not guaranteed to be good or bad for anyone's back because there are so many variables involved. The same can be said to be true for beds or sleeping on the ground or sleeping in a recliner. I've tried all of the above and the only method of sleeping that helped my back and allowed me to sleep well and not be crippled with pain during the next day was hammock sleeping.
    I came here to say the same thing, give or take some words. I have lower back pain that varies day to day. Every night I sleep in the hammock, it's obvious the next morning. Any back pain is gone and I feel more flexible overall.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I came here to say the same thing, give or take some words. I have lower back pain that varies day to day. Every night I sleep in the hammock, it's obvious the next morning. Any back pain is gone and I feel more flexible overall.
    Me too! I find the hammock is great for alleviating my back pain.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
    Me too! I find the hammock is great for alleviating my back pain.
    Just bending to put socks on in the morning is the simple test.

My grandma always told me "honey don't get old". I didn't listen.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Just bending to put socks on in the morning is the simple test.

My grandma always told me "honey don't get old". I didn't listen.
    Lol mine too. Dad used to tell me aging ain’t for wimps! Miss him immensely.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

I will say that when I have not slept in a hammock for a while I can have trouble being comfortable the first night, but then great after that so maybe it is based on the first night thing.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Are hammocks camping bad for the back?

Some, not all hammock campers have better overall comfort in longer hammocks—11 to 12 feet long. And some hammock campers report lower levels of overall comfort in shorter hammocks—of 8, 9, or 10 foot lengths.
    While this is not medical advice, consult a doctor who specializes in back pain, the following is my opinion.
    Some back pain is due to injury or wear and tear on parts of your back: vertebrae, discs that separate and cushion vertebrae, pressure on nerves due to swollen discs, or misaligned vertebrae, sore muscles, injured muscles. Sometimes nerves in that area can be pressed for a long time—resulting in either temporary or permanent nerve damage.

Suppose you go to a doctor and nothing is really broken and you receive pain medication.
    But your back still hurts from time to time.

Some causes of lower back pain can be—the person is too fat, especially around the belly. This can cause the lower back to be pulled too far forward, because the gut is pulling forward and downward.

Other causes of low back pain can be weakness in legs, prompting person to bend at waist when picking up something from the floor. Better to bend knees and hips than just lower back when lifting objects from ground or floor.

Weak abdominal muscles—if core strength is gone, there can be too much stress on back and improper form while moving can cause pain and injury.

Stress and tense muscles can make things worse.
    A tense muscle might have micro tears, if it’s suddenly pushed through a range of motion, when muscles are rigid rather than relaxed.

Repetitive motion injuries from excessive bending during work or play.

Having one leg shorter than the other, enough to place additional pressure on the lower back.

Believe it or not, tilting head forward and down while browsing on phone, for long periods of time, can cause neck pain and pain in lower back!

Sometimes all it takes to feel better is to get your back “popped” or adjusted by a skilled chiropractor.

Now back to your hammock.
    My hammock is 12x6, very comfortable, but can have to get larger tarp and pack. So it’s not for everybody.

Suppose you got an 11 foot hammock in wide width.
    Study Shug’s videos on Calf Ridge Pressure
    CRP happens haha
    Shug gives excellent solutions for calf ridge pressure.

As far as general comfort in your hammock, once you have solved CRP and knee hypertension—-
    Sometimes if you are not completely comfortable, all you need to do is move your butt either some to the right or left as you lay in your hammock seeking hammock nirvana the ultimate sweet spot.

I hope your back feels better soon. If your back hurts while doing anything—even laying in your hammock. It might be best to stop doing anything that is causing you pain.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 04-27-2021 at 20:24.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast