Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi

whoopee sling rehab

I'm trying to restore the condition of the "bury" on a whoopie
    sling. Its cinched down pretty firmly. I tried "milking " it by hand and then with a small cylinder.
    No avail. Anything more aggressive just feels like it would damage rather than help. The sling is unburdened
    What has worked for you?
    Thanks

As in, the whoopie was tightened up until the adjustable eye disappeared?

It can be difficult and take a bit of time, but a marlinspike (or nail) has always worked for me. Just gotta gently work the pucker back out of the hole, yarn by yarn. If you've never spliced before, it might feel a bit aggressive. Take your time.

Things only need to move a few mm before the eye reappears and you can open it back up.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I know that horse has left the barn but if you use home made whoopies, hobby stores like Joanns sells a container of wooden beads cheap. Put a wooden bead on the Amsteel before you make the bury and the eye won’t disappear. The wooden bead looks nice too.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    Thanks for the responses. The bead is not lost . It's more like the quote-unquote Chinese finger trap part needs to be drawn out. On a newer whoopie sling that section is about 8in long on this one it's been scrunched down to 3". I'm looking to knead it out.

Ahhh, so the problem isn't that the whoopie is too small and closed up, it's that the whoopie was made too big, and the end slipped back inside the bury?

The easiest way to fix it is to probably pull it all the way out, then to use a wire fid to pull it back in where it should go. It's much easier to pull a string than push one.

The "backsplice" at the end of the cord (that larger bump which is supposed to keep the end from being sucked in) may interfere enough that you'll need to cut it off and re-do it after pulling it back through. (That's easy to do with a wire fid too.)

Wire fids are easy to make, and for something simple like this just about any small wire would work fine.

• + New Posts