Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I was totally into using hardware when I started, but then stopped using it due to wear and fraying.

I think the bottom line is that strap held by metal where the strap moves will eventually damage the strap. It may be worth it for convenience and may take a long time to impact useability, but it wasn’t to me. I easily saw signs of wear that I dont see using soft shackles despite much more use.
    Last edited by Tpatter; 07-13-2021 at 18:22.

The wear aspect is actually why i went to descender rings in my setup.....to eliminate rope-on-rope (webbing, etc) contact where it made sense, but found that having huggers that weren't lopsided in their approach to the tree and spread the load equally on both sides tended not to bunch/roll. Just my observations, hopefully it helps someone try something that they find works for them.

Full admission......ill never be confused for an ultralighter, I've never weighed a single piece of my gear and I have both a pair of descender rings and a carabiner on the ends of my hammock as I haven't made a final decision on which I like better between webbing or amsteel SLS yet and I just tend to grab one or the other and go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Geocodyrgia View Post
    The wear aspect is actually why i went to descender rings in my setup.....to eliminate rope-on-rope (webbing, etc) contact where it made sense, but found that having huggers that weren't lopsided in their approach to the tree and spread the load equally on both sides tended not to bunch/roll. Just my observations, hopefully it helps someone try something that they find works for them.

Full admission......ill never be confused for an ultralighter, I've never weighed a single piece of my gear and I have both a pair of descender rings and a carabiner on the ends of my hammock as I haven't made a final decision on which I like better between webbing or amsteel SLS yet and I just tend to grab one or the other and go.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Again, no worries and I appreciate that there's a full spectrum of hangers out there with styles ranging from crazy light to full-on, no-holds-barred glamping. I'm not crazy light but definitely on the far end toward minimalism where every little bit has to 'earn' its spot in the pack.

At my age (65) I need every advantage I can get when hiking with the young uns.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ive had pretty good luck with evo loops as a replacement for a carabiner or dutch clip. Simple to use, really strong, and they weigh hardly anything. There are a few people that make them now out of heavy duty amsteel. Between those and the dutch spider straps at 12 feet I think my suspension weighs around 2.6 ounces in total. Compare that to whoopi slings which are roughly 3 ounces or so usually?

Hard to beat the straps!

Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I was totally into using hardware when I started, but then stopped using it due to wear and fraying.

I think the bottom line is that strap held by metal where the strap moves will eventually damage the strap. It may be worth it for convenience and may take a long time to impact useability, but it wasn’t to me. I easily saw signs of wear that I dont see using soft shackles despite much more use.
    i talk about knots so much on here, often in context of making hardware redundant, that i might be building a reputation as a knot-head/anti-hardware zealot. even so, i think it is worth noting: properly designed and executed hardware, that's suitable for the purpose it is used for, should not cause any visible or perceivable damage to the rope before, say, UV exposure does. i'm afraid some of the hardware we hammock campers end up using might be a bit...rushed to the shelves (with no proper testing procedures in place etc). so, although i'm a big fan of knots, the kind of damage you describe is not characteristic of hardware in general, but of unsuitable hardware (or hardware used with unsuitable rope/in a way it was not designed to be used -- hardware tends to be very sensitive to the rope material put through it). similar damage in terms of "severity' can easily be obtained through using improper knots, or using them the wrong way, btw. i still end up preferring the knots more often than not, but (good) hardware has its place. i think i tend to favour knots so often mainly because of the versatility and, well, they are fun to play with.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eamonnconnor View Post
    ... I'll be breaking out the mini bolt cutters before my next trip and taking those suckers off.
    Personally, I'd be more inclined to cut the loop to remove the (expensive!) hardware and resew the loop. That way I could sell the hardware to someone who wants it, rather than destroy a fancy piece of titanium bling!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Personally, I'd be more inclined to cut the loop to remove the (expensive!) hardware and resew the loop. That way I could sell the hardware to someone who wants it, rather than destroy a fancy piece of titanium bling!
    I considered that briefly but I don't sew — at least not with a machine, which would be needed for bar tacking — and the additional hassle of listing/selling/mailing made it not worth it.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF W Palace
    Insulation
    Quilt + Underquilt
    Suspension
    Spider Web+ C Loop
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    Not a bad idea...I don't have a machine but my mother down the road does.

Im looking at the hybrid polyester/dyneema straps with evo loops to use on my ridge runner with the warbonnent buckles, is anyone using this webbing with buckles, wondering about how slippery they are, i use the warbonnent polyester webbing right now with a carabiner.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by campnfish View Post
    Im looking at the hybrid polyester/dyneema straps with evo loops to use on my ridge runner with the warbonnent buckles, is anyone using this webbing with buckles, wondering about how slippery they are, i use the warbonnent polyester webbing right now with a carabiner.
    I use these Myerstech straps and I definitely would not use buckles with them. Same as Warbonnet's warning against using buckles with their own Becket Straps.... these materials are simply too light and susceptible to abrasion for the job.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast