Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Lightweight straps that don't bunch

I've been using UHMWPE straps Becket hitched to my hammock loops for several months now. I like the light weight and simplicity. I haven't had issues with slipping, or with getting the length right. This is for hiking, and I want to keep things as light and uncomplicated as possible. The only thing that I don't like is the bunching of the straps. It takes a while to flatten them in the morning, and I do it every time I take them down so that they go on the tree as flat as possible for the next setup. I've read that kevlar straps don't have this issue. I do see that most options seem to be heavier than the woven dyneema. On top of that, they aren't in stock. Looks like the 2" Dutch has is lighter than his 1". I wonder if that would work well with a Becket setup, or if it would bunch up. Any other sources where I can find stock? Those who have used both, which do you prefer and why?

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Myerstech sells a lightweight polyester blue strap that I really like. Super light, stays flat, easy to becket and untie. I love it. I’m sure it weighs slightly more than UHMWPE but I’ve switched to it - my favorite straps.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    [AIMG]Dyneema 2 inch tree straps.jpg[/AIMG]I've recently experimented with 2" wide UHMWPE tree straps, and I worried about the tendency of lighter weight straps to curl. My 1" kevlar straps do that, too. I'm pleased with the 2" dyneema straps, because I made small bamboo battens to sew into them near each end, where evo loops connect them to hammock suspension. I also find that much shorter straps make sense with the Eastern Forest trees I hang from. I avoid really big trees because they drop bigger branches. In the first tests (4 nights) the straps stayed flat and they didn't slip, even though the shorter one only went 3/4 of the way around the tree. I will make future straps in this length, not longer.

2" UHMWPE webbing was from Myerstech.The 48" strap weighs .99 oz. The 36" strap weighs .84 oz.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    After trying a bunch of options I've settled on Kevlar 3.3 ... I don't know why but they're pretty much impossible to find right now. You can set up an email alert with Dutchware to be notified when they're back in stock.

There is such a beast as 1.9 Kevlar, and the even more rare 2.2, but I find that the 1.9 can still bunch up, although not as badly as some of the UHMWPE webbing.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I have 1 inch and 2 inch kevlar 1.9 straps and in my use they both roll up. Narrower is worse than the wider, neither anywhere near as bad as UHMWPE. I don't care for the 1.9 kevlar due to the rolling and I'm disappointed in their durability.

On the advice of cmoulder and others wiser and more experienced than me I'll switch to the 3.3 kevlar as soon as they become available again.

I also have the light weight blue straps from Myerstech and have used them more than any other strap - no rolling up. I like the performance and price point a lot, but dislike the blue color.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HMLCK View Post
    I've read that kevlar straps don't have this issue.
    As cmoulder and rodentface have already noted, kevlar straps will also get ropey. I have and use kevlar and can confirm they do bunch up, maybe not to the extent that UHMWPE straps do, but it does happen.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by rodentface View Post
    n the advice of cmoulder and others wiser and more experienced than me I'll switch to the 3.3 kevlar as soon as they become available again.
    Took that advice a couple of years ago and have not looked back. Run the last 1 or 2 feet over my hiking pole in the morning to keep them looking nice.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I don't get it... what's up with flat straps? My suspension straps rope up & with no loss of strength or performance.

Is this more of a concern with marring trees? A cosmetic thing? Looking neat & tidy on the trail?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    I don't get it... what's up with flat straps? My suspension straps rope up & with no loss of strength or performance.

Is this more of a concern with marring trees? A cosmetic thing? Looking neat & tidy on the trail?
    I hate to admit it but I've wasted a lot of money trying to find the latest/greatest UL strap setup. I ditched all of them and have gone to the Dutch Spider/Poly straps and am totally content. My two biggest complaints with the UL straps were that they did cut into trees unless I took the time to flatten them out and make multiple wraps around each tree. Also, the ropiness made it much more difficult to spill the beckett hitch when trying to break camp in the morning. The Spider/Poly straps are about 3 ounces heavier but that's a price I'll gladly pay to avoid all the hassle of using the UL straps.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post

I'm not worried about neat and tidy, but the 'roping' effect starts extending all the way up to the part that wraps around the tree. I tried flattening out just that part but after a while it takes a set and it's difficult to get even a 3-4' section to remain flat!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast