Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erric View Post
    Mine must be 1.9g/ft then, I've been calling it 2g/ft for the past couple of years. 2.2 sounds like a great sweet spot.

Reporting back on the Hybrid MyersTech straps after using them on my last trip. I might be sticking with these from here on out because they're so soft and pliable. Easier to tie knots in, easier to undo knots, and easier to store.
    Yep, I've used the Myers hybrids a couple of times now and IME they're hands-down the best of the UHMWPEs.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yep, I've used the Myers hybrids a couple of times now and IME they're hands-down the best of the UHMWPEs.
    Even compared to the Spider/poly from Dutchware?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Dutch spider/poly is 5.5g/ft and bulkier than the various other UHMWPEs mentioned here which are in the 1.9 to 2.4g/ft range. Dutch's poly is polypropylene which I think is a bit denser than polyester. (IIRC... might be wrong on that one.)

I have used them, however, and they are a solid choice if you want to use Beetles or other buckles, and they're great with non-hardware suspensions using Becket, Lapp etc.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I've fiddled around with my new Myers hybrid suspension & so far, I like it. A tad heavier than his original suspension (1.2g/ft.?), it holds a knot really well & better yet, comes undone super easy. I'm using his 7/64 'fast shackle' instead of CL's on my hammock ends & the hybrid material is kinda slick to the feel & slides easily when undoing a knot. I'm anxious to try it out on my next outing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Dutch spider/poly is 5.5g/ft and bulkier than the various other UHMWPEs mentioned here which are in the 1.9 to 2.4g/ft range. Dutch's poly is polypropylene which I think is a bit denser than polyester. (IIRC... might be wrong on that one.)

I have used them, however, and they are a solid choice if you want to use Beetles or other buckles, and they're great with non-hardware suspensions using Becket, Lapp etc.
    Correction... The Myers hybrid webbing weighs 3.3g/ft. 2x 10' straps weigh 66.1 g on my scale, 73.2g (2.6oz) total with the Evo loops. Light and compact enough for me.

(I shortened them to 10' because that's plenty for where I hike/hang.)

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    I hadn't seen DutchWare's 2" 1.5 Spider Webbing before, are those new? I'd imagine having a wider strap would mitigate some of the rolling up factor I got with the narrow version.

I use UHMWPE with a descender ring figure-8'd into a bightwith about 3' tails on either side. I usually find a tree I can go around at least twice and they never roll up as the pull becomes even around either side.

That said, I don't run webbing all the way to the hammock or use beckett hitching to attach, but I do believe this approach with separate tree and hammock lines (hammock side figure-8'd to descender ring and then beckett hitched at hammock) would allow for the use of UHMWPE without the rolling problem as the ring would provide the necessary pivot without awkward forces on the tree-side webbing.

Just a thought from what I've seen

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Finally got a chance to use my new Dutch spider/poly straps. I think they’re going to replace my whoopi slings as my go to suspension now. They’re super light, don’t bunch, hung great with no bunching. All around awesome.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Got in another night of hanging on the Myerstech hybrids and am impressed.

Kevlar 3.3 remains my favorite but these are a very close second, and since Kevlar seems to have disappeared I'd have to recommend these for anybody inquiring about non-hardware suspension webbing. Lapp Hitch and buntline hitch both release very easily.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR

I see that if I had gone back and reread the thread I could have kept my mouth, . . . well, keyboard, quite.

I would like to ask about something that I haven't seen touched on . . . how about durability?
    Out here the "trees" that we run our straps around are often very far from smooth, or even bark like a pine. Not only can the bark be super rough but everything likes to have some form of thorns that can catch on the straps just getting them on and off the trees.
    So far I've had good luck w/ poly straps but even on those I see some wear. I would like to go lighter but don't want to end up w/ single use straps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast