DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've tied it around pine and very scraggly oak and haven't noticed it snagging. As for durability, only time will tell.

Nothing at all like mule tape, which snags on everything and gets shredded pronto. Aside from the bunching issue, I didn't have any durability concerns with Myerstech's original UHMWPE webbing (the white stuff) and RBTR Venom.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF W Palace
    Insulation
    Quilt + Underquilt
    Suspension
    Spider Web+ C Loop
    I bought a pair of the Dutch spider-web 1.5s with sew-on Dutch Clips recently, have hung with them for 3 nights total so far. They feel totally solid (although I'm only 140 pounds...), but I think the sew-on clips were a bad call. The material bunches up at the clip attachment point, and it is a big PITA in the morning to flatten out the portion that was cinched up in the Beckett Hitch. I'm going to keep using them until I see any signs of wear, but I'm conflicted about what I would order next (I have a few sets of spider/poly straps, but the spider-web is just so much smaller and lighter!)...

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Geocodyrgia View Post
    I use UHMWPE with a descender ring figure-8'd into a bightwith about 3' tails on either side. I usually find a tree I can go around at least twice and they never roll up as the pull becomes even around either side.

That said, I don't run webbing all the way to the hammock or use beckett hitching to attach, but I do believe this approach with separate tree and hammock lines (hammock side figure-8'd to descender ring and then beckett hitched at hammock) would allow for the use of UHMWPE without the rolling problem as the ring would provide the necessary pivot without awkward forces on the tree-side webbing.

Just a thought from what I've seen

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    No worries and HYOH etc etc but adding metal rings negates the weight savings of superlight webbing.

Quote Originally Posted by eamonnconnor View Post
    I bought a pair of the Dutch spider-web 1.5s with sew-on Dutch Clips recently, have hung with them for 3 nights total so far. They feel totally solid (although I'm only 140 pounds...), but I think the sew-on clips were a bad call. The material bunches up at the clip attachment point, and it is a big PITA in the morning to flatten out the portion that was cinched up in the Beckett Hitch. I'm going to keep using them until I see any signs of wear, but I'm conflicted about what I would order next (I have a few sets of spider/poly straps, but the spider-web is just so much smaller and lighter!)...
    As I mentioned above regarding the Kevlar straps, I cut off the Dutch clips with a Dremel tool. To me, they're a solution in search of a problem.... which applies to many hardware bits IMHO.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I cut off the Dutch clips with a Dremel tool. To me, they're a solution in search of a problem.... which applies to many hardware bits IMHO.
    Agreed. I like to use zero hardware just because. Not knocking the hardware bling as I started out that way in the beginning myself & in some cases, it may be a tad easier/quicker going with hardware, but I like being free of all that.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I enjoy my wee bit of hardware. My belt buckle holds my belt well to keep up my pants. Once I tried the Jethro Bodine (Beverly HillBillies) tied rope as a belt. Haaa. Constant re-tying!
    Jeff Myers spammed my You Tube site over and over with his links but no comment or polite asking. Can't abide by that. So I'll never use his stuff though it looks interesting.
    I carry a lightweight strap as a backup but trust in and use my poly huggers as I trust them and I do not like the bunching, rolling of some of the UL straps.
    More than one way to hang a hammock. To each our own.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I enjoy my wee bit of hardware. My belt buckle holds my belt well to keep up my pants.
    Touche' & good point!
    👍 True dat!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Im paranoid so I always pack a small set of Dynaweave UL straps with me. I think the ones I have are 6 feet long and weigh 1oz. I figure in a worse case scenario I can use them and beckett hitch to my hammock if my other straps fail.

Of course the only time I've ever had to use them is when I failed to bring my whoopi slings. Let me tell you, I was glad I had the foresight to pack an extra ounce of straps 8 miles into a trail at my campsite that night.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I enjoy my wee bit of hardware. My belt buckle holds my belt well to keep up my pants. Once I tried the Jethro Bodine (Beverly HillBillies) tied rope as a belt. Haaa. Constant re-tying!
    Jeff Myers spammed my You Tube site over and over with his links but no comment or polite asking. Can't abide by that. So I'll never use his stuff though it looks interesting.
    I carry a lightweight strap as a backup but trust in and use my poly huggers as I trust them and I do not like the bunching, rolling of some of the UL straps.
    Shug
    I like a wee bit o' hardware as well, such as the LLs on the UQ shock cords and the plastic S-biners for attaching to CLs. For some things I concede that hardware is better than knots. I also use mitten hooks (with the gates clipped) for tarp doors.

However, when I first got into hammocking I thought that all the hardware and such were necessary, and everywhere I turned there were few, if any, voices saying "Psssst! Hey, a few simple knots will work as well!" It took a fair bit of effort to figure this out myself.

Sounds like fodder for a Shug video right there!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    And of course I didn't know about Myers spamming your site, and it's understandable that you shun his products. I've read that he's been banned from HF although I don't know the story behind that.

Too bad that he doesn't get along well in the sandbox because he really has made some very worthy contributions to the hammock community.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF W Palace
    Insulation
    Quilt + Underquilt
    Suspension
    Spider Web+ C Loop
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    As I mentioned above regarding the Kevlar straps, I cut off the Dutch clips with a Dremel tool. To me, they're a solution in search of a problem.... which applies to many hardware bits IMHO.
    I think that sums it up pretty well, a solution in search of a problem. The weight might be worth it for the minor additional convenience of not threading it through the loop (Is that actually any more convenient? I'm less sure now than I was when I started typing...), but it's certainly not worth adding an additional point of failure which I definitely think it is for the Spider Web straps. I'll be breaking out the mini bolt cutters before my next trip and taking those suckers off.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast