Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Interested in hearing y'alls thoughts on them. I ordered up 2 pairs a month ago and so far really like them but I have only ever owned spider polys so only have those to compare with! Particularly curious how folks find these compared to the kevlar 3.3's to know if I should order those.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Received mine (Myers's hybrid poly/Uhmwpe) fairly quickly after ordering and just got around to trying them out yesterday.

Pretty good deal considering they include 4 Evo loops, two of which are double larksheaded to the straps and two more to use as CLs. I guess you could grab the button knot in lieu of a pull cord when using a Becket, but I have not tried this since I didn't want to swap out CLs.

Nothing more than a 15 minute nap yesterday during my regular little day hike with my dog, but they held fine with Lapp and Becket with no extra wraps or stoppers. I didn't want to do a bunch of bouncing on my 1.2 Robic but I did try to fidget about to emulate the bit of extra stress one would produce when adjusting body position or getting quilts squared away. I'm about 170#, for reference. They also didn't bunch up except where the knots were tied, and at this point they seemed to flatten out relatively easily in those areas. Longer term use will tell if this remains so.

Similar to my experience with Venom and the original Myerstech (white) webbing, they stretch more than Kevlar, roughly the same as regular 6g/ft polyester and much less than 3.3g/ft polyester.

Doesn't look like it in the photo, but when I got in the hammock I was hanging pretty low (maybe 10" off the ground) in case there was any slippage/breakage issue, and the hangles came out about right despite looking rather shallow in the pic. I like the long-ish span between my favorite test trees because it tends to give me a good idea about how much the webbing stretches. Also, these straps are 15' feet long, which is way more than I really need.

So a good first impression... I didn't get dumped and nothing broke or shredded.

Myerstech_hybrid_poly_straps_SMALL.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I got some of the spider dutch straps last week and got a chance to use them once.

I really like them! Nice and lightweight with his buckle setup, it might become my go to suspension system moving forward.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Similar to my experience with Venom and the original Myerstech (white) webbing, they stretch more than Kevlar, roughly the same as regular 6g/ft polyester and much less than 3.3g/ft polyester.
    Thanks for your impressions. Interesting you say they stretch more than your Kevlars, I have Dutch spider polys and I think they're around 6g/ft and I have experienced stretch once when I had 2 trees at a distance (prob a 30% wider than in your pic). I guess I should consider the kevlar 3.3 straps when they come back in stock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Thanks for your impressions. Interesting you say they stretch more than your Kevlars, I have Dutch spider polys and I think they're around 6g/ft and I have experienced stretch once when I had 2 trees at a distance (prob a 30% wider than in your pic). I guess I should consider the kevlar 3.3 straps when they come back in stock.
    Yep, the long spans really reveal the basic stretchiness of a material. Sometimes people will say that this or that material has no stretch but they all have some. IME Kevlar has the least among the common suspension webbing materials.

A few weeks back I did a very short hang with less than 1' of webbing (Kevlar) on each end between trees and CLs. It felt rock solid and probably would have been almost the same with other materials due to that short span.

Lightweight_suspension01_SMALL.jpg
    Last edited by cmoulder; 06-18-2021 at 14:08.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

indeed, absolute elastic deffomation is proportional to the elasticity of the material, the force applied, and the original size of the object. in other words: a 1 inch, 1 foot and 6foot strap made of the same material will all stretch the same under the same load, let's call it 15%. however, what we perceive is not the percentage but the absolute change in length (in this case height rather)

on top of this, when it comes to hammocks, with a very long hang, there's also a very high probability to end up with a flat hang (as most people won't take the straps up the tree all the way where they need to be, but instead rely on the structural ridgeline to "make it good"), this will make the actoual load on the suspension substantially higher, so even more stretch.

that's why side by side testing (as cmoulder mentioned doing) is the only way to assess this reliably, comparing suspension stretchiness "from memory" is unreliable, as it would be influenced by too many factors which we might not even remember.

i've been working on some treestraps/suspension design that alleviates most of these issues (bunching and stretch), but it basically means no becket hitch (sorry). the info in this thread has been very useful to put the final touches on how to do things (of course i'll share as soon as i have all tested)

I ordered the Myerstech hybrid straps a month or so ago when they came up on Ebay. Used them a couple of times with Beckett hitch and have had no issues (I'm 6' and 215 pounds). Maybe noticed a bit of stretch and initial slippage when first loading the Beckett knot. Not big deal.

Also been using Fugal Innovations 2" wide x 10' Kevlar huggers w/ his 6' Amsteel suspension strands at 2.5 oz. I set up the Mysertech continuous loop to be used with either a becket hitch or the Turtle Tie which adds .25 oz each.

The Turtle Tie also makes a good pull for releasing the Beckett Hitch when loaded tight.

IMG_0165.jpg Kevlar.jpg

Both the new Myerstech hybrid straps and the Fugal Kevlar straps stay flat.
    I have given up on the 1" Dyneema straps and they "rope out" too easily and I spend too much time flattening them.

Just my two cents.
    Regards
    Your Uncle Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Uncle Mike; 06-18-2021 at 11:15.

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    Bought some of the MyersTech hybrids thanks to this thread. They're 0.51oz heavier per strap than my 2g/ft kevlar, but based on the feel I can tell they'll be less likely to roll up. The kevlar isn't particularly prone to rolling either, but it's much more stiff, so it tends to stick in position once it's rolled. This becomes more of an issue when they're covered in tree sap. I don't know if I'll permanently switch away from the kevlar but I'll give the hybrids a try next time I go out and report back.

Slightly unrelated, does anyone know exactly why 2g/ft kevlar is flat out impossible to buy now? I got my set by emailing Jeff Myers to ask if he had some, and indeed he did, but it was unlisted on his store. DutchWare and Autumn Ultralight allegedly used to carry it as well, but both have since unlisted it. Failure? UV issues?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Slightly unrelated, does anyone know exactly why 2g/ft kevlar is flat out impossible to buy now? I got my set by emailing Jeff Myers to ask if he had some, and indeed he did, but it was unlisted on his store. DutchWare and Autumn Ultralight allegedly used to carry it as well, but both have since unlisted it. Failure? UV issues?

I've searched this online quite a bit and haven't found anything about the disappearance of Kevlar, at least not the 1.9, 2.2 and 3.3 'flavors' that used to be fairly easy to find.

I have hazy memories of someone reporting a failure with 1.9 at which point Autumn Ultralight stopped carrying it. I do have a set of 1.9. MikekiM has a set of the even more rare 2.2s and uses them on a regular basis.

My personal preference is 3.3 and fortunately I snagged one of the last pairs that Dutch had in stock. They came with sewn-in Dutch clips which I hacked off with a Dremel and replaced with double-girthed Evo loops.

Hammock
    DW Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DW Asym DCF
    Insulation
    UGQ/Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I've searched this online quite a bit and haven't found anything about the disappearance of Kevlar, at least not the 1.9, 2.2 and 3.3 'flavors' that used to be fairly easy to find.

I have hazy memories of someone reporting a failure with 1.9 at which point Autumn Ultralight stopped carrying it. I do have a set of 1.9. MikekiM has a set of the even more rare 2.2s and uses them on a regular basis.

My personal preference is 3.3 and fortunately I snagged one of the last pairs that Dutch had in stock. They came with sewn-in Dutch clips which I hacked off with a Dremel and replaced with double-girthed Evo loops.
    Mine must be 1.9g/ft then, I've been calling it 2g/ft for the past couple of years. 2.2 sounds like a great sweet spot.

Reporting back on the Hybrid MyersTech straps after using them on my last trip. I might be sticking with these from here on out because they're so soft and pliable. Easier to tie knots in, easier to undo knots, and easier to store.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast