DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Also, for anyone who wants some darker, more stealthy Kevlar webbing, you can dye it with a Rit dye that gives it a more subdued color. I colored mine some time back and have used them a bunch and the color has endured fairly well.

Last edited by cmoulder; 04-26-2021 at 12:24.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have some UHWMPE 1 inch straps and as soon as some different color ones become available at Dutch I think I'll go back to polystraps.

They rope up so much, its not a big deal on day trips but when Im setting up camp after a long day of hiking flattening them all out is a pain in the rear.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Myerstech recently had some straps that were UHMWPE in the middle with poly just on the edges, and those apparently stay flat. However, I haven't been able to find them on his eBay or Etsy sites.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Myerstech recently had some straps that were UHMWPE in the middle with poly just on the edges, and those apparently stay flat. However, I haven't been able to find them on his eBay or Etsy sites.
    Wow, first I've heard of that! If/when you get 'em I'm looking forward to your impressions.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    From what I understand you can message Jeff and he will hook you up on the hybrid UHMWPE and Poly straps. I thought about it but I already have so many strap alternatives I think I sticking with the lightweight poly for now.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'm not worried about neat and tidy, but the 'roping' effect starts extending all the way up to the part that wraps around the tree. I tried flattening out just that part but after a while it takes a set and it's difficult to get even a 3-4' section to remain flat!
    interesting. do you find it happens only in the places where you becket hitch (or starts there), or does it seem unrelated to that, and after a while the entire strap becomes ropey regardless of where it was knotted and where not? i'm asking as i've been experimenting quite extensively with new strap designs, and this is one of the issues which (hopefully) my experiments would fix, but i might be missing something. unfortunately i haven't been using the (snow white, very skinny, ultralight) straps i made out of uhmwpe webbing that much, i tend to use the much heavier, but bullet proof ones i made out of climbing rated tubular webbing (yeah, i know. i like climbing rated material, what can i say), obviously, those not only tend to be more stable, but would probably never get ropey no matter what material they were made of (as their construction is somewhat similar to de-cored double braid rope, which means the forces they are submitted to will always tend to bring them to some flat state which amounts to where they started, or you might say they can't get any ropier than they started, only flatter). in other words, i feel i'm missing out on the challenges and terrors of ultralightness in this respect.

i'm really interested, as it would give me some insight regarding where to focus my testing

I find the UHMWPE bunches mostly where it's knotted, and also where it passes through the end loop. I always take care to put it flat against the tree, so it stays flat at that end. It seems the straps are getting harder to straighten out after each use. They take "creases" at the knotted area. The mixed PE/poly straps are interesting, and I'd take a little weight penalty if they stay straight. I'll also keep a lookout for Kevlar to catch some in stock.

I tried the Fugal Innovations 2" 2.7 Kevlar Straps on a trip recently.
    Super light and worked like a charm.

Seems they are in stock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Update on my 2" dyneema straps from Myerstech (post #3) - the 4' strap on a large tree does curl in the middle a bit, while the ends are held flat by the bamboo battens. I will add a batten or two to the center section. I am much more likely to be hanging from trees 6 to 12 inches in diameter, so the shorter straps work better, anyway. The battens also make the straps stay flat for storage when rolled up and secured with the small bungees. I'll stick with this design.

Hammock
    DIY 1.2 Mtn
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    DIY 2x UQ soon TQ
    Suspension
    Woppie / Marlin
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mike View Post
    I tried the Fugal Innovations 2" 2.7 Kevlar Straps on a trip recently.
    Super light and worked like a charm.

Hmm, not sure what went wrong but ended up on the ground...

Attachment 185661

frayed/broken end of strap from the tree

Attachment 185662

Break right at the Beckett

I had such high hopes for these 2", 2.7 kevlar strap. I was willing to add a few grams for something easier to work with over the dyneema straps. Spent one night in the house hanging from the straps but first time trying then out side they broke. Any ideas what went wrong?
    full disclosure, this is the first becket hitch suspension I have worked with. Sat (stood) with the book and tied and retied the knot dozens of times to get it right and build up some muscle memory. Since the break was at the knot it makes me feel like I may have done something wrong.
    Seems they are in stock.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast