Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Camping with Hammock Hanging Hitch~~~ViDEO

Took a drive up to the Tofte/Lutsen/Grand Marais area to explore some backroads and try out the McLean Hammock Hitch I procured. Had my eye on one for a while now so that I can hang when and where I want and no need for trees.
    So this was a Jeep camping get-out-of-town 2 day romp.
    Good time to see what condition the woods were in. Snow and mud. Expected.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I like it. Weather looks like yesterday morning here in MT. I have had a similar project on the back burner for a while except it would span between the front and back receiver hitches I have on my Toyota Tacoma. I will suspend a tarp off the aluminum ladder rack to cover the hammock. Your video is the inspiration to move ahead on this project. Nice of Jeep to install the handy hammock tarp tie downs. I haven't seen a diffuser plate before and that looks handy. Nor have I seen an espresso cooker like that one. Now I have to buy more stuff ;-( I did score one of the Snow Peak tabiki grills for a song off ebay to use for truck camping fire pit and charcoal grilling steaks and have been pleased with it.

I found out in my mid-sixties that I grind my teeth at night. I didn't believe it because my wife never mentioned it. Now I wear a night guard that I hate but endure. Love the mandolin and your daughter's hats.

Looks like fun. Now I'm wondering if it's possible to modify my hitch-mounted bike rack to do double duty as a hammock rig. :-)

Nice way of rigging up the tarp.

I've cracked a few molars myself. Never believed that I could be grinding that much while sleeping, but it was true. Finally got a custom night guard and it definitely helps.

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    Any chance that you may breakout the Canadian Bushbuddy along with Dan's Companion Burner for your next trip up north? Bacon in the morning and steak at night on the first day is something to look forward to. "Daylight in the swamp." Spring camping is great. Thanks for bringing us along.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Shug, thank you for the video showing that camping doesn’t have to always be UL oriented. In my case, I tell friends I’d rather carry 80 lbs in my kayak than 40 lbs on my back. I understand that’s an “old school” pack weight.

Please advise on one (of many) life mystery. It’s the ability to display the outside temperature on the display inside the jeep. I figure you have the heat of the engine. And you have the wind chill of the moving air. So it seems the ability to sample the ambient air temperature would be severely hindered. What is the magic?

Are you loving not having to deal with two pieces of gear - hammock and UQ - with the superior hammock? I figure you could get one for your main temperature and stack another UQ under it if camp in colder temperatures..

Our nighttime temperatures are also still mostly below freezing. Seems weird being this close to May. But 20° UQ’s and TQ’s work just fine.

Do you use 40° gear much in the summer or, except for winter, is 20° your main “go-to”?

Thank you again for the inspiration.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I like it. Weather looks like yesterday morning here in MT. I have had a similar project on the back burner for a while except it would span between the front and back receiver hitches I have on my Toyota Tacoma. I will suspend a tarp off the aluminum ladder rack to cover the hammock. Your video is the inspiration to move ahead on this project. Nice of Jeep to install the handy hammock tarp tie downs. I haven't seen a diffuser plate before and that looks handy. Nor have I seen an espresso cooker like that one. Now I have to buy more stuff ;-( I did score one of the Snow Peak tabiki grills for a song off ebay to use for truck camping fire pit and charcoal grilling steaks and have been pleased with it.

I found out in my mid-sixties that I grind my teeth at night. I didn't believe it because my wife never mentioned it. Now I wear a night guard that I hate but endure. Love the mandolin and your daughter's hats.
    Time to get it rigged up. Was nice of Jeep to do that.
    Funny that we are deep asleep while grinding.
    Thanks on hats and mandolin. Just learning a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by mmveets View Post
    Looks like fun. Now I'm wondering if it's possible to modify my hitch-mounted bike rack to do double duty as a hammock rig. :-)

Nice way of rigging up the tarp.

I've cracked a few molars myself. Never believed that I could be grinding that much while sleeping, but it was true. Finally got a custom night guard and it definitely helps.
    There are more grinders out there than I thought!~~~
    Got a guard but hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carver View Post
    Any chance that you may breakout the Canadian Bushbuddy along with Dan's Companion Burner for your next trip up north? Bacon in the morning and steak at night on the first day is something to look forward to. "Daylight in the swamp." Spring camping is great. Thanks for bringing us along.
    I shall remember to do that. Tossed car camp stuff on this jaunt. A quick departure.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Shug, thank you for the video showing that camping doesn’t have to always be UL oriented. In my case, I tell friends I’d rather carry 80 lbs in my kayak than 40 lbs on my back. I understand that’s an “old school” pack weight.

Please advise on one (of many) life mystery. It’s the ability to display the outside temperature on the display inside the jeep. I figure you have the heat of the engine. And you have the wind chill of the moving air. So it seems the ability to sample the ambient air temperature would be severely hindered. What is the magic?

Are you loving not having to deal with two pieces of gear - hammock and UQ - with the superior hammock? I figure you could get one for your main temperature and stack another UQ under it if camp in colder temperatures..

Our nighttime temperatures are also still mostly below freezing. Seems weird being this close to May. But 20° UQ’s and TQ’s work just fine.

Do you use 40° gear much in the summer or, except for winter, is 20° your main “go-to”?

Thank you again for the inspiration.
    It was very UL....did not have to tote one iota!
    Not sure on car thermometers. I just believe them.
    Yes, I have added the snap on extra UQ on my Superior hammock to boost temps. ...9:08 in this video https://youtu.be/okmk7py026o
    I do use my 40º gear in peak Summers.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Well I just turned 64 and relate well to “ New International Version
    when the keepers of the house tremble, and the strong men stoop, when the grinders cease because they are few, and those looking through the windows grow dim;”. The grinders get few. Ain’t it the truth lol.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    "Wind chill" is an estimate of what temp your skin would feel like as an air temp, when there is wind.
    Maybe counterintuitively, the car temp sensor is actually more accurate when the car is moving because the flow of fresh air can overcome the engine heat, and thus you're measuring the true air temp.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwinters View Post
    when the keepers of the house tremble, and the strong men stoop, when the grinders cease because they are few, and those looking through the windows grow dim;”. The grinders get few. Ain’t it the truth lol.
    Amazingly prophetic chapter and really some good poetry/prose. If you don't think so, just wait a few more years ;-) All summed up in the last verse: " Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." He probably should have thrown something in like "And the nightly hammock becomes a challenge to exit for the multitude of visits to the bush."

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Longwinters View Post
    I just want to whittle and spit.

Quote Originally Posted by mmveets View Post
    "Wind chill" is an estimate of what temp your skin would feel like as an air temp, when there is wind.
    Maybe counterintuitively, the car temp sensor is actually more accurate when the car is moving because the flow of fresh air can overcome the engine heat, and thus you're measuring the true air temp.
    Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Amazingly prophetic chapter and really some good poetry/prose. If you don't think so, just wait a few more years ;-) All summed up in the last verse: " Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." He probably should have thrown something in like "And the nightly hammock becomes a challenge to exit for the multitude of visits to the bush."
    Time to rig a hammock that lowers so we aged can roll out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast