Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Tarp for two hammocks

My wife has become interested in hammock camping and backpacking. This past weekend, we hung hammocks next to each other off of some closely spaced trees. My 11' hex tarp really wasn't sufficient - it worked for the very light sprinkle and morning dew we experienced, but the end of my hammock was damp in the morning. I think a 12' rectangle tarp would make a big difference. But there are also wide versions, versions with pole mods, 2-person tarps from Dutch Gear, etc... Does anyone have experience with tarps for a pair of hammocks and suggestions on what works well and what isn't necessary?

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    We often hang together w/ a 12' tarp (don't know the width right off). The best setup so far has been w/ an interior pole mod.
    Keeping it high enough that the two hammock ridgelines don't cause it to lake in between is important!
    I have been thinking of getting a wider tarp, but still on the fence about that.

Oh, and doors only "kinda" work when you have two hammocks.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    My wife and I hang next to each other with a small spreader bar from Dutchware. We tried using my HG journey tarp but were not happy with the way the lines rubbed on the tarp and we weren't fully covered for bad weather. Bought the dutchware 2 person tarp and its been great. Cavernous inside with good coverage. Biggest downside was when we pitched it in an open field on a windy night. It has a lot of windage and we had some stakes pull up that would have been fine for a single tarp on a windy day. But knowing is half the battle so we just do a little extra securing when bad weather is expected.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing – George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Here’s another vote for Dutchware if you are looking for a two person tarp. I use one on a day hike when going out with a friend. Remember, the tarp isn’t just to keep off the rain. More often my “double” is there to offer some sun shade during extended afternoon breaks.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Tarp for two hammocks

My new 14x14 tarp is being made by TrailHeadz Hammocks and Accessories. I might post about it after it ships.

You might try to rig two tarps either separately or combined over both hammocks. Separately best when raining?

I choose not to have doors. When I’ve got my other rectangular 13x12 tarp, in rain, I have dropped the sides down low. Sometimes I cross both tarp guylines in front of tree and wrap guylines around tree at base of tree.

Other times during rain, if not windy, I leave tarp in a larger wider footprint. Then I snap ponchos directly on hammock suspension covering both ends of hammock.
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 04-23-2021 at 03:44.

Quote Originally Posted by docbrown View Post
    Does anyone have experience with tarps for a pair of hammocks and suggestions on what works well and what isn't necessary?
    Phantom beat me to the punch suggesting Trailheadz as a possibility. He's made some large tarps and I believe has photos on his Instagram page. His website is below:

https://www.trailheadzhammocks.com/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY 11" 1.1 black ripstop
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    tewa and HG
    Suspension
    UCRs/Dutchbling
    Images
    My wife and I hung under a Kelty Noah 12 on our honeymoon successfully, but dutchware has a two person tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    And - it sounds like you each had your own trees, “closely spaced.” Remember that you can run two hammocks off just two trees (head/foot end) by bringing the suspension of one hammock off the left side of the tree and the suspension of the other off the right side of the tree. So your separation will be the diameter of the tree. I like that better than the spreader pole design because with those poles, movement in one hammock can still be transferred to the other - like when you have to get up at night.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Good golly this sounds like torture to me. I prefer the next person at least 30' away from me, minimum. Shuffling around, snoring, coughing, blowing nose, peeing (hopefully outside), digging inside a ziploc baggie looking for something, separating velcro, cooking really early, etc.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    OneClick - where is your romance Can’t you image swinging gently with a little breeze, holding hands across the two hammocks, gazing up at the stars. Okay … you probably wouldn’t see stars because, you know, the tarp. And you probably wouldn’t be holding hands because usually people configure when their heads and opposite end of the two hammocks so they can see each other. You are right about the sleeping arrangement. If I do a two-on-one-tree arrangement, it’s during a day hike and stop for lunch. The hammocks aren’t really necessary but for me, every time I set one up, it’s another experience setting one up. I still learning little things each time. If it is overnight, then yes - some distance can bring people closer together and too much closeness can push people apart. In kayaking, a tandem kayak (two seater kayak) is sometimes called a “divorce boat”. Some sailboats accommodations read, “Sleeps four friends or six enemies”.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast