Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Start with a very small amount- you can always add more but rinsing out detergent that you used too much of is much harder. I like Atsko Sport Wash for washing gear.
    Good advice, I'll do that. Out of curiosity, I dumped a 1.5gal bucket into my washer before a load last night. Didn't even put a dent in it. Now I realize where most of my water bill is generated.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Good advice, I'll do that. Out of curiosity, I dumped a 1.5gal bucket into my washer before a load last night. Didn't even put a dent in it. Now I realize where most of my water bill is generated.
    I've set up a verity of greywater systems for people and if the washing machine is separate from the rest I still usually need to have around a 100 gal capacity if they only do a couple loads at a time.
    Sometimes the washing machine far out weights any other greywater source including showers and sinks combined.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I did it in my bathtub with Nikwax Down Wash. I used just enough water to cover the quilt when submerging it by hand. I used the cap to measure the detergent - I think instructions call for 3 oz for every 3-4 gallons of water with a manual wash. I also agree that “less is more”. I agitated it by hand, let it soak for 20 mins. I then rinsed it thoroughly in the tub and transferred it to my washing machine for rinse and low spin cycles (twice). Then dried it on low heat with felt balls. Drying took multiple cycles where I took it out and broke up the wet down clusters by hand before starting the next cycle. It came out great with lots of loft. I do have side load machines FWIW.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    I did it in my bathtub with Nikwax Down Wash. I used just enough water to cover the quilt when submerging it by hand. I used the cap to measure the detergent - I think instructions call for 3 oz for every 3-4 gallons of water with a manual wash. I also agree that “less is more”. I agitated it by hand, let it soak for 20 mins. I then rinsed it thoroughly in the tub and transferred it to my washing machine for rinse and low spin cycles (twice). Then dried it on low heat with felt balls. Drying took multiple cycles where I took it out and broke up the wet down clusters by hand before starting the next cycle. It came out great with lots of loft. I do have side load machines FWIW.
    When they say break up clumps, do you just sort of slap it flat? Or literally pull it apart?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    The wet down clumps together at the ends of the baffles - pushed there by gravity & the dryer tumbler. I just massaged the outer nylon shell with my hands to break them apart. The felt balls or tennis balls help, but the first few dyer cycles on low heat result in a lot of clumping.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4/Dutch pup tent
    Tarp
    RSBTR HEX12 DIY
    Insulation
    HG 0*/40*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    i also throw 3 tennis balls in the dryer to help distribute the down

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I finally did this last night with one top quilt. All I can say is, the other quilts (heavier ones) will be no fun. Not that this one was.

Fantastic results though!!

I mixed 1oz detergent in tub with warm water. I kept pressing the quilt under water to work in soap. I let it sit for 10 minutes then agitated it lightly for for a few minutes. Drain tub, press out water, repeat with clean water twice.

The spin cycle on the washing machine really threw out the water. In the dryer, I think I went through three 40-minute cycles until it was mostly dry. There were still a lot of clumps but they were no longer soaking wet. I always use 5 wool drying balls for laundry so I left those in. I also kept a dry bath towel in the whole time to soak up moisture. I find that only one garment in a dryer is very inefficient, regardless of the tennis balls.

I let it sit on the floor overnight. In the morning I checked the down and everything was dry and distributed. I put it back in the dryer for a few minutes just to fluff up some more.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by gfd131 View Post
    i also throw 3 tennis balls in the dryer to help distribute the down
    They work very very well for me.

• + New Posts