1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps

Washing my down quilt?

I have a JRB quilt that needs a wash. I know that a front loading machine is best, because the agitator can destroy it. I have a top loader, but it has no agitator. Is this safe? Or should I go to a laundromat?image.jpg

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    I have a JRB quilt that needs a wash. I know that a front loading machine is best, because the agitator can destroy it. I have a top loader, but it has no agitator. Is this safe? Or should I go to a laundromat?image.jpg
    Personally, I'm not sure I'd chance it... you only get one shot for it to go wrong.

Besides, you can meet some pretty interesting people in the laundromat.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Lol. Right - interesting people everywhere, it seems. Yeah, that’s why I was asking. My gut says that the agitator is the risk, but I wanted to see what everyone else thought before I did it. I’m intending to sell it soon, and I’d hand wash it, but I want to make sure it’s washed GOOD (smoker in the house). And I’m not sure my hand washing skills are up to par without a ziplock bag and some Dr. Bronners.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    Lol. Right - interesting people everywhere, it seems. Yeah, that’s why I was asking. My gut says that the agitator is the risk, but I wanted to see what everyone else thought before I did it. I’m intending to sell it soon, and I’d hand wash it, but I want to make sure it’s washed GOOD (smoker in the house). And I’m not sure my hand washing skills are up to par without a ziplock bag and some Dr. Bronners.
    Then there's getting all the water out of it. I prefer to run down to the laundromat with as much that needs a wash, quilts, down jacket, etc., use the front loader & after the spin cycle, I bring it all home & put it all in the dryer on air dry. I throw in 3 tennis balls to help with the re-fluff... noisy but effective.
    Last edited by ObdewlaX; 04-21-2021 at 20:23.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    That’s another reason I was against hand washing - bad back. I figured I’d probably be more likely to damage it while ringing enough water out to get it to the dryer. Didn’t look forward to wrestling with it, either. So it’s washer or laundromat for me.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Having JUST washed my Hammock Gear quilt I’d suggest checking JRB’s website for any tips...or even emailing them to see if they have any suggestions.

I missed one of HG’s suggestions and as a result I had to spend a lot of time redistributing down.

As for your original question, I’d take it to the laundromat and maybe even run a cycle empty with no soap just to clear out any soap or bleach or fabric softener residue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I have a top loader like that, and have washed my quilts in it with no issues.

Doni

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    I use a wally world plastic bin to wash and rinse my down in the bathtub. Less water, less fuss and the bin helps to drain and carry the wet down items w/o stressing the internal baffles. After the last rinse I carefully load each item around the outside edge of a top load washer on a spin-only cycle to centrifuge most of the water out without even contacting the agitator and then tumble dry on low or no heat with several tennis balls in a front-load dryer. So far no problems

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Well, after a little more research, and seeing that others, like Doni, have successfully washed their quilts in these washers, I decided to say a quick prayer and go for it. Luckily, it seemed to go fine. I’d always heard I should use a front loader, if I wasn’t hand washing, but it seemed that the agitator was the obstacle for top loaders.

When it’s time to wash my DIY quilts, I’ll either hand wash or take them to the laundromat. I don’t have quite the same faith in my own workmanship as I do in the cottage companies!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks, gooless. It didn’t occur to me to use a bin WITH the tub. I could just picture the disaster of me trying to wrestle a wet, heavy, 0* quilt. I figured I’d probably be more likely to damage it, myself, than the washer would. I’ll use that approach for my DIY quilts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast