DW Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Daisy/Strap combo
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    Anyone have the updated Banyan? Curious how user experience is going...
    I'm thinking of ordering one and wondering if getting the bugnet in a light printed color might be easier to see through? I want the bugnet, but the less visually obstructive it is when I look through it the better. Wondering on getting the white/light coloring..
    I have one. I have set it up in the backyard a couple times. So far so good. I love how comfortable it is. I’m also impressed with how easy it was to attach my hammock gear incubator quilt.

I can’t really say much about the bugnet . A lighter color might be nice, but I didn’t even know that was an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by FinneganMcBrisket View Post
    My new Banyan (dark olive) arrived from Dutch today. I was getting ready to order Ruta Locura carbon fiber spreader bars to reduce 3 oz of weight (according to Spiguyver's video). To my surprise, the aluminum spreader bars that shipped with my hammock (DAC Featherlite) are much lighter than listed back in 2020 (10 oz), at a total weight of 182 g (6.4 oz). The Ruta Locura carbon pole sets weigh a total of 6.1 oz for the 2 piece head bar and 6.4 oz for the 3 piece head bar. It might not be worth the price for .3 oz.

Thanks Dutch!

Edit: Added the original spreader bar weight from 2020
    Something about this doesn't make sense to me.
    The lighter DAC spreaders part seems reasonable, especially compared to the previously sourced AL poles.

What doesn't make sense is the Carbon Fiber.
    To be clear; this is mainly in support of Ruta Locura, as I'm not sure he's fully aware/on top of this. I've worked with Josh to help develop CF poles for any bridge user regardless of which one you buy... so just want to keep him in the loop so he can best serve the community as a whole.

I just saw Spiguyver's video and someone asked in a comment about the spreader bars now being shorter than before?
    Can someone confirm the length of the updated spreader bars?
    Per the dutchware website (maybe not updated?) the banyon uses- 38″W (head end), 28″W (foot end)

For a little context-
    The two piece 36" spreader bars I source from Ruta Locura for my Happy Medium weigh 5.5 ounces.

Or to put it another way- 66" of spreader bar vs the 72" set I use.
    What I don't understand is how 'less carbon fiber spreader bar' weighs more when it's for the Banyon?
    Should be coming in around 5-5.25 ounces for a smaller two piece banyon setup.

If the spreaders are shorter... it makes zero sense to order a three piece spreader set (which can increase the cost and weight a good bit).
    Even if the head end is still 38" wide- not sure why a three piece makes sense other than it did make sense for some RR users and might have carried over.

It's possible that the RR and Banyon require a stouter head pole (larger diameter pole).
    It's the most reasonable explanation but I can run that by Josh directly.
    I use a heavier head pole for the Luxury set, but that is a 43" length pole rated to 225lbs.

Bottom line-
    I'm not saying or implying that paying $100 for CF makes sense in light of the current DAC pole weight.
    Kudos to Dutch for dealing with DAC who is a massive PIA to source from.
    Even something is wrong here and there is an ounce to be saved with some clarity... probably an ounce most won't want to buy regardless.
    But in fairness to Carbon Fiber and the gram weenies of the world...math is math, facts are facts, and someone will pay $100 an ounce it it's really there.

I think Josh has a template that is used for the RR and the Banyon. Banyon probably needs it's own template.
    I suspect Josh has missed something here and I don't understand it enough so I can shoot him an email about it.

Hammock
    DW Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Daisy/Strap combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Can someone confirm the length of the updated spreader bars?
    Per the dutchware website (maybe not updated?) the banyon uses- 38″W (head end), 28″W (foot end)
    Here are my measurements for the spreader bars I received with my banyan a couple of weeks ago:

Head end bar: 37” long for the bar only and 38” when you include the tips

Foot end bar: 26.5” long for the bar only and 27.5” when you include the tips.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Here are my measurements for the spreader bars I received with my banyan a couple of weeks ago:

Head end bar: 37” long for the bar only and 38” when you include the tips

Foot end bar: 26.5” long for the bar only and 27.5” when you include the tips.

Thanks!

I completely forgot that I actually have a set of these here. I traded a forum member one of my mediums for a banyon so I had one to show off at group hangs this summer and haven't even had a chance to set it up yet. It is the previous Banyon so figured wouldn't help... but I forgot these did have the Ruta Locura poles with it.

Which answers my question-
    The head tube is heavier duty .710" tube vs the .600"- that's the missing piece.
    It does come in at 6.125 ounces on my scale.

They are longer than the new version-
    About 39.75" and 28.75" respectively. (bar only)
    But the few inches of tube shaved off the template won't get you under 6 ounces.

Likely this is to match the 250lb rating and for a few other reasons so probably just the way it has to be.
    I'll pass this on to Josh so he can evaluate where he's at on these- or at least so he knows to updated the pole size.

If you're under 200lbs... you could likely push into a lighter tube... but the DAC poles are impressive out of the box so likely this would only be for the most fanatical gram weenies of unlimited means looking for spreadsheet perfection.

Just Bill- the idiot with the answer sitting in a box under his keyboard solving bridge hammock mysteries one at a time signing out

Hammock
    DW Banyan Bridge
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Daisy/Strap combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    If you're under 200lbs... you could likely push into a lighter tube... but the DAC poles are impressive out of the box so likely this would only be for the most fanatical gram weenies of unlimited means looking for spreadsheet perfection.
    Yep, the DAC poles seem solid.

FWIW, suspension options are another area I was thinking about saving weight for backpacking. To start out, I'm debating using my Dutch Beetle Buckle set for this hammock (202 g / 7.1 oz) or going back to my tree hugger and whoopie sling setup (75 g / 2.6 oz) for this hammock. I want the quick and easy adjustability those provide and the extra ounces are worth it. Once I have a feel for what makes a good hang, I'll go back to my 12' Spider web 1.5 straps (45 g / 1.7 oz) on a becket hitch knot.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Yep, the DAC poles seem solid.

FWIW, suspension options are another area I was thinking about saving weight for backpacking. To start out, I'm debating using my Dutch Beetle Buckle set for this hammock (202 g / 7.1 oz) or going back to my tree hugger and whoopie sling setup (75 g / 2.6 oz) for this hammock. I want the quick and easy adjustability those provide and the extra ounces are worth it. Once I have a feel for what makes a good hang, I'll go back to my 12' Spider web 1.5 straps (45 g / 1.7 oz) on a becket hitch knot.
    Yar... convenience vs UL.

Webbing and buckle is the most user friendly. I like it for general use, beginners, car camping, kids being rough with stuff and all around beater straps.

For my SUL stuff I use a roughly 42g system.

1" Venom webbing Huggers and 6' dynaglide whoopies with a few grams of dynaglide soft shackles.
    about 200lbs user weight on that one.

Before these fancy pantsy webbings came out... I used to skip a whoopie sling on the bridges. I'd carry one 5-6' long hugger and direct connect the foot end, then use a 4' hugger and whoopie sling for the adjustment on the head end. I also would carry a 36" amsteel dogbone fer if I ran into an extra thick tree or unusually long tree to tree distance. But with the longer tree to tree distance of the bridges generally- I rarely found myself reaching for any 'extenders'.

Webbing used to be the big challenge- but now that it's not... I find it's hard to argue with the basic hugger and whoopie unless it's winter time.

I do want to play more with Nich's (Fugal) Turtle Ties.
    I think that if I directly spliced those... you get the becket benefits without the becket problems.

With my stuff especially- you need to add in a sacrificial loop of some sort to attach the becket to. For the Banyon and the RR- even though you can more easily replace the dogbones... you're still juggling a few loops at each end if you directly tie it. Though simply girth hitching on a small continuous loop works- on mine I suggest a soft shackle so you don't 'bite' into and prematurely wear the existing suspension- this also lets the ARL move freely. RR tends not to use a ridgeline, Banyon has it's duel ridgeline system and isn't a factor in the suspension.

Long story short- I like having one point of contact between the bridge and the tree. I think we all do and got used to it with a gathered end.
    Carabiner is easiest.
    Girth hitching a loop is the lightest.
    Soft shackle is the UL compromise a tween the two.

I think the turtle tie has good potential to replace the becket system (or at least compare in that 'slot'). A simple hugger with even an 8' long amsteel runner is about as light as you get with maximum range. I appreciate the elegant simplicity of a simple piece of webbing and just one knot but the downside to many of these fancy pants webbings is they tend to roll up and rope up over time. I think the turtle tie system handles that issue a bit better since most of the 'rope work' is being done by the amsteel and if you do have to flatten the hugger portion... you're not massaging 12' of it flat.

But suspension is always a wide ranging and ultra personal choice.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Question for all of you Banyon users - How does the interior space compare with the RR? (I absolutely love the RR, but it's a tad too narrow for me.) Also, does it have that painful webbing running full length on the sides, or does Dutch employ full length Amsteel like Just Bill? Thanks to all.

Update, I ordered a Banyan double layer this Monday 7/11/22 and it shipped today Thursday 7/14/22.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY under and bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies'n Marlin
    Hi all, I just received my Banyan double layer this week and I love it. I am having an issue however and am looking for advise. It has to do with the hang angle and the ridge lines. All of my experience is with GE hammocks so this is new to me. I know the angle is supposed to be a bit less than the 30°ish of a GE but I see conflicting numbers including the instructions that came with it suggesting as low as 15°. I tend to get my GE hammocks setup to where I can use the structural ridge line as my guide. I know you don’t want too much tension on the ridge line but I like it to be a little snappy so things hanging from it (bug nets, headlamp, cellphone, ect.) don’t sag and droop. However to get the ridge lines tight on the Banyan I would have to pull it out to an extreme low angle. I’m talking hard to take up enough with the beetle buckles tight. And the whole thing gets very tippy. Otherwise when I get in and lay flat the ridge lines are pretty limp and the bug net although held off of me is saggy and forget about using the ridge line organizer. I have used Shug’s carabiner trick (thanks Shug!) to shorten them up and I like it much better getting closer to what I would call 20°. So the question is should I make a permanent adjustment to the ridge lines? I wonder if my lines were just made a bit to long? Maybe this is an issue since they switched to the spliced in lines with the dog bones on a leash instead of direct to the amsteel? Anyone else have this issue? Especially interested in anyone who has tried both the original and new version. Thanks all!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY under and bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies'n Marlin
    I haven’t used a ridge runner but I can compare it to an REI quarter dome air. Compared to the REI it does feel smaller inside but it is much more comfortable. The material is softer with more stretch. But most importantly it is all one smooth surface. The REI has seams that bother my shoulders and sometimes legs. The banyan has the zipper and grosgrain(sp) along to very outer edge but I’m not sure if there is amsteel or webbing inside of that as well. No part of me touches it or any other seam when I’m laying in it. The banyan has more of an hour glass shape. Plenty wide for me at the head end. Narrowest at my hips which feels fine to me. Foot is a fair bit narrower than the head. For some reason I feel like my heels are squeezed together more than in a GE hammock when I lay on my back but if I cross one foot over the other it solves that for me. If narrow is your problem the Banyan might not be better for you, but hopefully someone with a RR can chime in.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast