Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Is a 3/4 Quilt right for me?

Hi,
    I'm planning on hiking the AT in 2 months (ME to GA). I'm kinda new to real hammock camping and need an underquilt. I had an ENO ember and used it on a high 30-degree night and froze my butt off. I'm looking at getting a 30-degree economy quilt from hammock gear. I'm 5'3" and I have a thin eva foam mat from Mountain Laurel. Should I be okay with getting the phoenix (a 3/4th quilt) or should I opt for the full-length incubator?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It's a personal thing and hard to know for sure. I tired...hard! I literally bought the same quilt (Phoenix) twice and sold twice. Sounds stupid, but I wanted to make it work. In the end, it just wasn't worth a few ounces to me.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Lot of factors go into this. Are you generally a warm or a cold sleeper? The Hammock Gear quilts are generally regarded as comfort rated. So a 30F should be comfortable down to 30F.

Will you have a tarp up to help cut out the wind?

For whats it worth owning a few 3/4 length and a full length UQ, I only use my full length for trips that will be 20F or below. Above that I sleep pretty comfortably with my 3/4 length UQs and a Zlite sit pad stuffed into the footbox of my topquilt.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    Definitely test it if you can.

You could also test with a Poncho Liner Underquilt (PLUQ) at slightly warmer temps to see if the length bothers you. I have one I made for a Hennessy hammock and my worst night of sleep was when it dipped into the high 40s and my feet were freezing.

I now have a HG Phenix for summer trips and a SLD Trailwinder 20* for cooler weather. I'm not thru hiking, but I have no issues carrying an extra few ounces if it means I get a good sleep every night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I have the Econ Phoenix in 20F and 40F. I use the 40F all the time (Florida). I used my 40F/40F UQ/TQ one time where it dropped into the low 40s/upper 30s. Knew it ahead of time, tried to push it. Feet got cold.

I have a 20F Econ Incubator now.

EDIT: I'm 6'1". The Phoenix covers me from shoulder to past my knees. At 5'3" you will probably have coverage from your shoulders to your feet, give or take a few inches.

Also, if I were doing the AT I would look at the Premium line. The 40F Econ isn't too bulky, but the 20F Econ Phoenix is...and the Incubator is even more so. The thinner fabrics for the Premium along with higher fill power down (ie, less down) will pack smaller.
    Last edited by FLTurtle; 04-21-2021 at 13:29.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I made my own quilts, but I believe my UQ was 58.” I might’ve made it shorter (have to measure). I’m 5’5 1/2 (that half is important), and it’s almost like a full length quilt from my shoulders down. It’s actually easier for me to get a good seal with a shorter UQ. I was using a piece of windshield screen as a foot pad, but found out pretty quickly that below 35-40, I needed something a little more substantial and chopped off part of a blue foam pad. If you’re restless, you’d have to spend more time readjusting the pad. If that’s something that wouldn’t bother you so much, then it’s worth a try - especially if you’re bringing some sort sit pad anyway.

I also agree with FLTurtle - I’d look at the premium. Even if you get 850FP, the weight difference in the fabric is going to make a difference. More so than higher FP.

*Edit: My UQ is quite a bit shorter, around 48”. Don’t know how I missed that. I think I started with 58” of fabric, shooting for a finished length of 54-56” and the down fluffed out and shortened it a bit. Still, I’m not that tall, so it works for me.
    Last edited by AmberG; 04-21-2021 at 14:07.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Also, welcome!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    3/4 length works great for me, but not for everybody. You really have to be honest with yourself in terms of how warm-natured you are. But at your height, the Phoenix is dang-near full-length. If you use a pillow for your neck/head, then the 52" long Phoenix should just about cover the rest of your body from shoulders to feet.

I would also consider the Jacks R Better Greylock 3. It's 4" longer than the Phoenix- which will definitely give you full-length coverage if you supplement with a pillow. And they have quilts in stock; so you'll have no issues getting it in time for your thru-hike.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    +1 for the JRB. I can’t speak for the HG quilts, but I have owned a JRB. High quality.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I'm with OneClick on this one.

Full length coverage means a lot. You get cold from the bottom up in a hammock. I was using a sit pad in the foot box and my puffer to extend coverage to my lower legs, plus base layers and big loose thick sleep socks. Able to compensate and sure, already carrying most of that stuff, but no comparison to full length coverage.

I'm @1.9# for my hammock + full length 30* UQ (integrated asym)
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast