Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have a 3/4 l quilt and got a full length for colder temps. I don’t mind having my feet and head outside, as that is easily managed. I seemed to get a gap by where my ankles went out that allowed a draft in that created Cold spots on my back.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I use my 20* Phoenix down to about 30* F. If it's colder than that, I prefer my 0* HG Incubator. I'm a big proponent of the 10* buffer rule - always take a quilt that is rated at least 10 degrees warmer than the expected low. And that rule doesn't cover abnormal weather - I once attended a group hang where the low was projected to be 18* F, but it was 13* F when I arrived, and ended up at -3* F. Luckily, it was car camping so I brought a spare set of quilts and stayed toasty warm.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Well it works for some, not for others. I've used the Phoenix (20 or 40, depending on temps) for years, after using only full length UQ's for a long time. Both work for me.

If you think it might work, I'd get it, try it a few nights at home and if you don't like it after that, just sell it for close to retail here or ebay. Then buy the full length for your hike.

Oh, and I agree that if your budget allows, get the Premium - no "better" but packs smaller for sure. Love my HG underquilts.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I use my 20* Phoenix down to about 30* F. If it's colder than that, I prefer my 0* HG Incubator. I'm a big proponent of the 10* buffer rule - always take a quilt that is rated at least 10 degrees warmer than the expected low. And that rule doesn't cover abnormal weather - I once attended a group hang where the low was projected to be 18* F, but it was 13* F when I arrived, and ended up at -3* F. Luckily, it was car camping so I brought a spare set of quilts and stayed toasty warm.
    I own exactly the same quilts, and take a similar approach. In fact, even with temps in the mid-30's I still prefer the 0* Incubator. Partly because I sleep cold, but partly because I am a very restless sleeper, always switching between side and back sleeping. The result is it's often a bit of a pain keeping the sit pad in the footbox properly positioned. Also after all too frequent nature calls on my 60-year old bladder, the sit pad is just one extra bit of hassle each time I get back in. If I were starting over, I think I would be have gone with 0* and 20* Incubators.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    I explored the idea of 3/4 length for my 40f summer set of quilts, I’ve now ordered them and went for full length, I jig around a lot during the night and the extra faff of a pad would get annoying, also at 6’5” I think a Phoenix may have only covered my back! and I do like warmth!!!
    Good luck with your decision...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    When I realized the shockcord on a 3/4 tries to floss my toes, it was game over.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When given, notice the height of those posting. I’m 5’ 6” and, except for winter, ¾ length is fine for me. Note that when you are on your diagonal lie, your feet go UNDER that extended shock-cord.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-25-2021 at 14:44.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Note that when you are on your diagonal lie, your feet go UNDER that extended shock-cord.
    Yeah that was extremely annoying for me. Better once inside of a TQ of course, but still annoying.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12