Images

What sealer/adhesive for Mystery Fabric?

I'm making a tarp with a mystery coated fabric I got from a local closeout place. It's definitely waterproof. I've tried gluing it to itself with shoegoo and with silicone and both peeled off quite easily. Is there something else that might stick? I'm looking to "glue" reinforcement patches for the tie-outs (I will sew as well) as well as something to seam-seal it. Any thoughts or possible tests would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Not sure if there's any good adhesive that would hold up to the constant stress that would be placed on the tie-outs. I'd recommend sewing the reinforcements on, then sealing it with Permatex. There are many YouTube videos on how to do this, if you do a search. Plus, Ripstop By The Roll has detailed instructions for making a tarp, if you go to the tarp kit page.

Images
    Thanks. I just looked up the Permatex and it looks like that is silicone, which I already tried and it didn't stick. I'm planning to sew tie-outs as well as I mentioned. Just curious if anyone has any other ideas for what might possibly stick or what type of coating this might be if shoegoo or silicone don't stick.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by JDShearer View Post
    Thanks. I just looked up the Permatex and it looks like that is silicone, which I already tried and it didn't stick. I'm planning to sew tie-outs as well as I mentioned. Just curious if anyone has any other ideas for what might possibly stick or what type of coating this might be if shoegoo or silicone don't stick.
    To clarify, the Permatex is for sealing the stitch holes, not for adhering two pieces of fabric together. But you may need to consider something else, like Seam Grip. I know that certain types of sealers work better with different types of fabric.

If you're planning to sew the reinforcement patches, there is no reason to glue them on as well. Just sew them, then apply whatever seam-sealer you choose.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I’ve only “glued” tie-outs to one tarp, and I only did so because it was a UL fabric and that’s what was recommended, to avoid excessive needle punctures. If the fabric isn’t taking silicone, and you’re determined to bond the patches, I’d try Seam Grip. Either method requires a curing time before it’s bonded well. If it were me, and I wasn’t working with a super UL fabric, then I’d do exactly what rweb82 suggests. Sew and seam seal.

Edit- I’m half blind atm and see rweb mentioned seam grip already

silicone, shoe goo thinned with xylene or seam grip have bonded any coated fabric I've tried. My guess is you have a PU/Silicone hybrid coating. Seam Grip should work.

I haven't made a tarp in the last 7 or 8 years with any fabric heavier than 1.1oz and I haven't sewn reinforcements on any of them (a dozen tarps? 15 maybe?). Glue/bond the reinforcements on, then sew your perimeter hem, then sew your tie out to the bonded area. Always press and weigh down your glued bits while they dry. I sandwich the glued area between layers of HDPE plastic bag (grocery bags) and close them up in a hardcover book with a weight on top. Seam seal with the same stuff you bond the patches on.

I started doing it this way after noticing issues with tie-out stitching in one of the first batches of 0.9oz membrane silpoly from RBTR. Kyle posted this alternative to sewing the reinforcements on and it works great.. Never had a bonded patch peel off and never had a tie-out look like it was remotely close to failing. And I have one membrane tarp that has been through heck.

If your fabric is typical 1.6-1.9oz, you can just sew the reinforcement on.

Scott
    Last edited by justaboutso; 04-22-2021 at 12:46.

Images
    Thanks for the replies. I'm looking into the seam grip. My only other hesitation is that if one of these products doesn't stick to the fabric it may not work for seam-sealing? Is that an off-base assumption?

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I’m no expert, but from what I’ve read, if one seam sealer doesn’t work for a fabric, then the other one should, i.e silicone/seam grip. Since the silicone doesn’t work, I’d imagine you should be able to use the seam grip. I bonded my reinforcements for the same reason as Scott.

I know that instead of “painting” the seam sealer on, some people thin it down to where it’s able to saturate the thread, itself. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on this, but I wonder - strictly for the seam sealing - if it’s actually necessary for the sealer to adhere to the fabric, if the threads are saturated?

Images
    Did you try a patch on the other side of the fabric?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    Did you try a patch on the other side of the fabric?
    I can't remember now to be honest. I may not have, but I'm pretty sure I've been trying to adhere to the "less slick" or "wrong" side. I just tried E6000 and that stuck a bit better, but still easily pulled off. I guess I may have to bite the bullet and spend the money to order seam grip. I just hesitated to spend that much money not knowing if it would work or not.

• + New Posts