Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Hang Tight/ SLD TW
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles

Bear Run Nature Reserve, Pennsylvania

This past weekend, a buddy and I did the black loop at Bear Run Nature Reserve near Mill Run, PA. The property is owned by the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy and is also the home of the Frank Lloyd Wright "Falling Water" house built for the Kauffman family of the department store fame. I stayed in a cabin on this property a few years back while doing a week of trail work along this loop and this was my first visit back there in 6 years. The black loop took us to an overlook of the Youghiogheny River, up and down a few ridges, along the Bear Run Creek, across the main road and up a decent climb until we reached campsite #3 close to 7 miles from our staring point. The campsite was spacious but was right off of the trail which was slightly weird in the morning as we paused morning chores and breakfast to talk to other hikers and a whole group of runners. We had a couple of good tree options and there was plenty of of wood to scavenge and a water source all within 100 yards. We were able to see the stars in all of their majesty with the trees not yet being in full bloom. I almost slept with my tarp in the skins but decided to deploy it anyway given the proximity to the trail.

Day two was about 7.25 miles and started with a pretty big climb until we reached a ridge that we enjoyed for the next two miles. You then lose and gain elevation, cross over the stream a few times and go through several rhododendron tunnels and rock outcroppings on the way back to the parking lot. This is a good beginner to moderate trail for backpacking because of the distance and the amount of options for breaking up the distance, but the elevation pulls it closer to the moderate to difficult rating if you're carrying two 4 packs of pounders each. No need to carry a bunch of water though when there are resting and filtering spots along the route. I'm not sure about the other campsites but I would imagine you could do one of the shorter loops indicated on the website and have just as good of a time. This may be a good place for a group hang... who knows?!

The trails did have some blow downs and some muddy spots (except where me and my trail team installed rock inlays and turnpikes - of course!) but was in otherwise good condition. The routes are well marked with colored medallions for each corresponding loops and there are markers for wayfinding. There was decent cell service so no need for a real GPS or anything. If you're not already using trekking poles, this might be the spot that convinces you otherwise due to the rocks and roots involved with the climbs and descents. Overall I'd give this trip, the trail, and the campsite a 9/10.

https://waterlandlife.org/land-conse...ature-reserve/
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts