WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie

First night in a SMR Ninox - need underquilt advic3

I finally went for it on the Ninox Flatlay thanks to another HammockForum connection. First impression, overall very comfortable. It's like sleeping in a cave it's huge inside but I kinda liked that.

I attached my 20* Wooki to the Ninox out of curiosity. It was mostly fine but a couple of cold(ish) spots and it was a bit tight in some places so I didn't like that level of stress on the fabric.

So I'm not sure what is the best UQ for this Hammock. Their Inferno product is their custom fitting UQ but it's offered in 0* or 30*. I'm looking for a 20* level UQ. Might just try the 30* and see.

Anyone have other UQ experiences with the Ninox?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    No Ninox exp, but if you were dealing with an HF vendor asking for overfill on the 30* would be pretty easy to accommodate. You'd think somehow Ninox could do that. Doesn't hurt to ask.

After many years of going with 20* partial UQ's I recently went to a 30* full length and it just feels warmer to me. Finished weight suggests there might be a bit of overfill involved, but the difference in full length coverage seems to make for a lot in comfort.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    I had a Ninox but got rid of it due to too much stretch for my liking. I also have the 0 degree UQ from them and it worked (and still works on my Dream Hammock Sparrow). Try connecting the UQ to the two outer clips on the hammock near the ends - so the UQ is set on the diagonal. Try this before purchasing a new UQ. It will depend on how offset the wooki is. I successfully use the Inferno set at a diag on my Sparrow and btw do not overheat in 50 degree weather with the 0 degree UQ and I am usually a hot sleeper.

Hope that makes sense?
    Dave

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    @rolloff I agree 100% that I enjoy the full length and the minimal weight penalty is worth it.

@shroominDave was it the stretch over time or each use? I'm curious about that too. The Wooki doesn't have a natural way to connect to the UQ clips on the Ninox. It's fully asymmetric. How did you set the Inferno at a diagonal on the Sparrow given it's straps are centered?

Any other UQ experiences on the Ninox?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The Wooki worked just fine for me under the Ninox. I can't recommend the Inferno, unless you are very short and/or lie inline. The design is half-baked, but then I do think that of the Ninox as well, so you might be happy with it.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    I am 300 lbs and need a firm material. The stretch I experience is because of my weight and the material used. The Inferno works just fine as long as you attach it on the diagonal. I have attachment loops on the outside of my hammock so not only do I attach the UQ on the diag. I also clip it to the hammock closer to the middle as well which keeps it on my outside shoulder. I would think the wooki would be the same but I do not own a wooki so I cannot be sure. I also have just switched to a full coverage UQ from Simply Light Designs which allows me to switch head right or head left without loss of coverage. I am not concerned about the extra weight penalty - I usually base camp so don't need to drag around the extra weight once set up.
    Dave

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Just realized I lost this thread. Sorry about that.

I've since tried the Puffle as an UQ. It was OK. Had to fuss a bit and I feel like either my feet were comfy or my shoulders were comfy but as soon as I moved around (which I do a ton) then I had to reset the UQ.

Hutzelbein do you have any pics of your Wooki on your Ninox? That would be ideal given I have both of those.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Sorry, I don't have pictures. But since you have both, why don't you try it? Just make sure to start with a very long extension and decrease the length gradually until the Wooki is snug against the Ninox.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Looking for one
    Insulation
    Wooki and JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Was planning to do just that. There is so much fabric with the Ninox I wonder if it will stretch outside the dimensions of the Wooki or otherwise make it behave oddly.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Wide
    Insulation
    HG Econ Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I agree. I had a Ninox and returned it for the same reason, too much stretch. I had to put the tree straps at almost 9' high to keep from bottoming out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast