Hammock sleeping

Ok this has probably been ask before but I'm going to ask again. Hennessey Hammock four seasons xl , right shoulder to zipper or left shoulder to zipper?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Domn12, Looks like that is your first post; welcome to the forum.
    If the hammock doesn’t have tie-outs to pull the sides out, it is probably symmetric and it doesn’t matter. If there is a tie-out on each side of the hammock, the shoulder probably goes to the side of the tie-out at the head end. Most important, are you comfortable.

Little changes make a difference. Last night I was in a hammock that was “okay” but when I got back afterr getting up at 3 am - you’ll understand when you get older - I tightened the suspension up one daisy chain loop and it did the trick. Moved the comfort level from “Okay, good.” to “I want to sleep till noon.”. So little changes make a difference and though the “rules” give a starting point. Your body and your gear, with some experimentation, will find what works best for that combination.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I thought Hennessys are all asym?

Per Hennessy web site FAQ, all their current models are asym:

https://hennessyhammock.com/pages/fr...-questions-faq

What does “asym” mean?

Originally, Hennessy Hammocks were all diamond shaped, with the widest point at the middle of each side. Then Tom realized that the hammock would be more comfortable for sleeping if the occupant could lie as flat as possible by lying diagonally at about a 15 or 20 degree angle. He moved the side tie-outs so one was near the knee on the right and one was half way between the shoulder and elbow on the left which resulted in the patented asymmetrical or “asym” shape. Hennessy rain flies are also asymmetrical to match the hammock shape and provide the most efficient coverage and reduced weight when laying on the diagonal.

Which hammock models are asymmetrical?

All Hennessy Hammocks sold on the websites are Asymmetrical

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    USCAV, you’ve discovered one of the marvels of the English language. Isn’t it great If you look at a rectangular tarp, you could say it’s symmetrical because one side is a mirror image of the other. But it seems to me, if you took diamond shaped tarp - one that had a wider panel on the side where you head is and a matching wider panel on the left where your feet are - that’s kind of symmetrical too because your coverage is the same regardless of which end is the head end. Same with a hammock, if you can diagonal lie with your head at either end, I’d call that symmetric. But because if there is a little extra material and/or tie-outs at the knee and shoulder, it might be called asymmetric. On the other hand. If you were to take a WarBonnet Ridge Runner and fold it in half, the sides would match. So it’s symmetric. but it has a definite head end and foot end. So it’s asymmetric. Are we having fun yet.

What does that Marvel character say, “I could do this all day.”

Again, bottom line - are you comfortable? That's what’s “right”.

It seems the benefit of the tie-out is it pulls the bug netting away from your face. So it might - only might - work better with your head/diagonal in that direction.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-24-2021 at 13:09.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    If I remember correctly, the Hennessy hammocks' bug net is also cut asymmetrically, i.e. it's not just the tie-outs, it's that when you lie diagonally according to the tie-outs (even when not tying them), the bug net itself stays straight better.

• + New Posts