Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ridge Runner angle issues

Looking for some quick advice with regard to hanging the ridge runner. If the trees are very far apart (22+ feet) do you want the tree straps up as high as possible? What about when the trees are closer together-not as high? I was playing with getting the hammock to be flatter as I've been able to do before but last time I hiked the trees were far apart and I got more of a banana shape out of it which wasn't as comfortable as when it was flat. Also is it better to move the marlin spike down further or to shorten the whoopie and keep the spike closer to the tree in various situations? Trying to get the flattest lay, thanks everyone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Far distances definitely mean a higher connection to the tree. I’ve had this issue that you’re talking about. And I found that webbing strap/buckle type suspensions don’t help, with all the stretch that happens with the extra length. Using a low stretch suspension helps bunches. Also, build a structural ridge line for your ridge runner. It will help with initial setup. Start off with a tighter setup, also the hammock, unloaded will be sitting higher. You really have to play the stretch.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You want the RR suspension angle more to a 25% angle. A bit flatter.
    This is what Warbonnet instructions say:
    Ridgerunner Setup
    Ridgerunner setup is similar to the above setup in that you want the foot end of the hammock set higher, but maybe only 12′′ higher instead of 16′′ on the Blackbirds. You might set the suspension slightly tighter as well, closer to a 25 deg angle. There is a built-in neck support, Most like to lay with their neck on that high spot and their head in the slight divot behind it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    To get an idea of what that angle Shug posted looks like, most smart phones have an angle function ... just use your phone to measure the angle. This way you get an idea of what you are looking for.

Brian

Hammock
    WBRR, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    AHE uq, AHE tq
    Suspension
    buckles
    Phone "angle function" is a pro tip for those of us who need help with 25 vs 30 degrees, especially while hanging on uneven ground. I'm having success with Clinometer on an android.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    To get an idea of what that angle Shug posted looks like, most smart phones have an angle function ... just use your phone to measure the angle. This way you get an idea of what you are looking for.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by smilecalm View Post
    Phone "angle function" is a pro tip for those of us who need help with 25 vs 30 degrees, especially while hanging on uneven ground. I'm having success with Clinometer on an android.

That's what I do with my WBRR. I use the clinometer on my iPhone when I am wanting to be precise. But honestly, with my WB and JRB bridges, I rarely bother. For many years, I just adjust tension so that there is a slight "reverse banana". IOW, you know how the sag we have in our gathered end hammocks leads to a banana shape? The reason we need to lay diagonal in the first place, so that we won't be trying to assume the shape of a banana? Well, with a bridge, I find that when I tension it enough to slightly reverse this situation, so that the head and foot ends- when I look at it from the side and of course unoccupied- being slightly closer to the ground than the middle, that seems to be just about right. Once I get in, all is nice and flat. Depending on which hammock, if I notice a hint of knee extension, I just tighten it up a slight bit more and that will do it, nice and flat with no knee hyper-extension. And never any calf ridge, thank goodness! When I bother to measure for the 25º, that is what the hammock ends up looking like from the side: a slight reverse banana.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I just made a 13 ft “ridgeline” I connect to the apex point (where the dogbones come together). It’s more about being a 13 ft measuring stick than additional structural support.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You want the RR suspension angle more to a 25% angle. A bit flatter.
    This is what Warbonnet instructions say:
    Ridgerunner Setup
    Ridgerunner setup is similar to the above setup in that you want the foot end of the hammock set higher, but maybe only 12′′ higher instead of 16′′ on the Blackbirds. You might set the suspension slightly tighter as well, closer to a 25 deg angle. There is a built-in neck support, Most like to lay with their neck on that high spot and their head in the slight divot behind it.
    This is an excellent place to start, I've found through multiple trials and setups that I like a slightly flatter angle around 20 degrees. Another approach is measure the distance between head and foot end spreader bars. I found that I like between 78 and 79 inches while I'm lying in the RR. I then made a structural riddgeline that gives me same amount of "sag" each time I set up. If the ridgeline is too loose I shorten up the suspension straps sometimes this also requires me to lower the tree straps so the RR is not too high. If the ridgeline is too tight I lengthen the suspension straps sometimes this requires me to raise the tree straps so that th RR is not too low. Lastly you may find that you need to have the foot end tree straps a little higher than the head to prevent you from sliding toward the foot end during the night. I've found I need at least 6"-12" higher foot end. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    WB Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I just made a 13 ft “ridgeline” I connect to the apex point (where the dogbones come together). It’s more about being a 13 ft measuring stick than additional structural support.
    This is what i was testing and calculating my way to, because i never hit the right spot first time, nor the 4th time..
    but cant really figure out how to hang it with the ridgeline on,
    seems a bit useless, but i may be doing it wrong, please educate me.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    JesperTDK - The older RR, and maybe the new ones, have the suspension lines meet at what’s called an Apex point - where they come together. It’s a small piece of hardware the two loops at the end of the suspension lines connect too. Or you could remove it and/or already have just the too loops. You can corral those in a carabiner jaw and connect the carabiner to a daisy chain loop. The extra ridge line - giving you a 13ft measure - just hitches on to that hardware piece, or the loops/carabiner itself.

What do you have at the end of your suspension lines that makes it difficult to attach the ridgeline?

I make my ridgelines with a loop/eye at each end for hitching to whatever they are going to be attached to.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast