Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    WB Buckle
    Hello, i have mine mounted like this.

and then i pull tight to get a some what good setup, a bit too, but if i tighten i might get the setup i need.
    when i then get in the hammock, the ridgeline gets loose, is that normal ?
    the line is 13ft minus the carabiner length, so 13ft in total

or am I doing everything wrong here.
    Here is a few pics.

https://imgur.com/a/z71pf3a

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Looks like your suspension is too flat (tight). What is the distance between your suspension posts? Thinking you need to put a hammock tight to get “flat' is kind of a mistake. In a gathered end hammock, you get flat by turning a bit diagonal. In a bridge hammock, your “flatness” can depend on the stretchiness of the material. You want about - that’s about, not exact - a 25 degree angle (or 65 degree depending which angle you are measuring).

When I hang at that angle that ridgeline is above my head and would be above the bug net if I had that up. As such it’s out of the way. It’s just an easy way to know your apex distance is about right. I don’t pay attention to it after that.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    WB Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Looks like your suspension is too flat (tight). What is the distance between your suspension posts? Thinking you need to put a hammock tight to get “flat' is kind of a mistake. In a gathered end hammock, you get flat by turning a bit diagonal. In a bridge hammock, your “flatness” can depend on the stretchiness of the material. You want about - that’s about, not exact - a 25 degree angle (or 65 degree depending which angle you are measuring).

When I hang at that angle that ridgeline is above my head and would be above the bug net if I had that up. As such it’s out of the way. It’s just an easy way to know your apex distance is about right. I don’t pay attention to it after that.
    I have 5m (16,5ft) between the posts.

i know how to hang it, but has just been trying with a ridgeline to improve the hang from trip to trip and make it more consistant, but the 13ft ridgeling is what i have here, from apex to apex, and that as you see, seems to tight to work out.

what is your length and do you have an older model, with the metal hardware ?

got any pictures by any chance, or even better a video showing you setting it up using the ridgeline.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    My length from apex hardware to apex hardware is 13 ft. My adventure partner’s is 12 ft. That’s how she likes it. The hammock hang calculator site is having a problem right now so I can’t plug in your numbers - but I recommend you do it later and see how it matches the calculator numbers. I know you said you know how to hang it, but something seems off.

Here’s a photo of a bridge set up on Jones Island in the San Juans (WA). Note the angle of the suspension lines coming off the RR.

Bridge.jpg
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Just a point about ridgelines and bridge hammocks, unlike GEs where the ridgelines go taunt ... a bridge will typically gets looser when you enter.

Brian

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    WB Buckle
    My length from apex hardware to apex hardware is 13 ft. My adventure partner’s is 12 ft. That’s how she likes it. The hammock hang calculator site is having a problem right now so I can’t plug in your numbers - but I recommend you do it later and see how it matches the calculator numbers. I know you said you know how to hang it, but something seems off.

Here’s a photo of a bridge set up on Jones Island in the San Juans (WA). Note the angle of the suspension lines coming off the RR.

Bridge.jpg
    That looks just like when i hang it without using the ridgeline as a guide tho.

But i think I will play with the length.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you are hanging with the added ridgeline (13 ft) taut - that’s the intended sag of the hammock. Changing the hanging angle isn’t going to change that. The point of the hammock ridgeline is to give a constant sag - regardless of the hang angle. That assumes the angle isn’t allowing the ridgeline to droop.

There are posts and posts about testing the tautness of the line when you are in or out of the hammock. I’d say it doesn’t matter as long as you are consistent. For me, it makes sense to set the sag/tension when I’m out of the hammock because it’s all part of tensioning the webbing suspension or picking a loop in a daisy chain.

Remember 13 ft is a suggestion. If possible consider something from 11.5 to 13.5 ft. Then try something in the middle of that. Then in the middle of your new interval, etc. until you zero in on the “about” distance that works for you. Then measure the ridgeline and make one for that distance; the distance that feels best for you.

Note that the feel is also different if you are using the 4 inch extension or not (in the old style RR).

I put to alpine loops in my added RR ridgeline to hang a small gear hammock. So nice to retrieve gear without constantly pawing though a backpack or dry bag.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    WB Buckle
    If you are hanging with the added ridgeline (13 ft) taut - that’s the intended sag of the hammock. Changing the hanging angle isn’t going to change that. The point of the hammock ridgeline is to give a constant sag - regardless of the hang angle. That assumes the angle isn’t allowing the ridgeline to droop.

There are posts and posts about testing the tautness of the line when you are in or out of the hammock. I’d say it doesn’t matter as long as you are consistent. For me, it makes sense to set the sag/tension when I’m out of the hammock because it’s all part of tensioning the webbing suspension or picking a loop in a daisy chain.

Remember 13 ft is a suggestion. If possible consider something from 11.5 to 13.5 ft. Then try something in the middle of that. Then in the middle of your new interval, etc. until you zero in on the “about” distance that works for you. Then measure the ridgeline and make one for that distance; the distance that feels best for you.

Note that the feel is also different if you are using the 4 inch extension or not (in the old style RR).

I put to alpine loops in my added RR ridgeline to hang a small gear hammock. So nice to retrieve gear without constantly pawing though a backpack or dry bag.
    I will try playing with the distance.

For the gear hammock, I made something else, a shelf type thing.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just to clarify, when I mentioned the ridgeline and sag - of course if you hang at an angle that puts more droop in the line you will get more sag. The ridgeline for the hammock is more a measuring stick of sorts. You can find just the right lie for you, then get out of the hammock and add a ridgeline that allow the ends to only be “that” far apart. The next time you hang, you pull the suspension until the ridgeline is just snug - and that puts the ends of the hammock at the desired distance. Doesn’t matter if it’s a gathered end or bridge.

But you still have to pay attention to angles so you don’t impart too much strain/stress on the rest of the system (stitching, suspension line, connection hardware, tree).

If the hammock list stiff enough at around it’s recommended hanging setup, I’m guessing the next step is to go double layer and/or stiffer fabrics, and/or a ridged pat of some kind.

I just set up my RR at ~23 or 24 feet apart, straps (w/ whoopies) at about 6 feet up. I was just a few inches off the ground.

For those wide distances, I tend to set up with very little sag and it looks odd - once I put weight on it and get it all 'seated'/stretched, it looks more normal.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12