Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    That is such a bummer when that happens. We need a way to make sure every one is aware of that potential before they use a bridge. I remember when I first got a JRB bridge many years back, I was immediately aware of that problem, and also when the wind would push the sides into my spreader bars. Then when I got a WBRR with much wider poles, it seemed even more of a problem. I added Grip Clips(can you still get those?) exactly where the poles would contact the tarp, and ran a pull out to a hiking pole or tree to pull the hammock sides out, and that gave me plenty of room. Also, the method of getting in as described by Groundskeeper is helpful. But honestly, with my sil nylon tarps, I have never had any issues. And Dgrav at JRB told me he finally quit worrying about it and has also had no issues. But I guess it is a worse problem with the DCF tarps and spreader bar combos.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you have the older version of the Warbonnet Ridgerunner these will prevent this. They slip on tight and I store them on the pegs when not in use. I've used these for almost two years and no issues so far.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...9072/206758282

bumpers.png

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    AmberG, one of the benefits of using Tenacious Tape - or maybe “official” DCF repair tape is better - is it will probably be a different color/pattern than the original. That’s a feature, not a bug. Because you have a story to tell. When some of my clothing gets snagged/torn and some offers to mend it, they usually start with, “I have some tread that will match around here …” and I have to tell them "No!, don’t use matching thread." I want to remember. It was a learning experience. Thank you for sharing about the tarp injury. Those DCF tarp are pretty light, but they might be a bit more delicate with introduced to something besides wind.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hey Trailslug nice idea. Do those just slip on with a friction fit?

When you say you store them on the pegs, are you talking about just leaving them on where you slipped them on ( the pointy end ) and then stow the whole shebang together? Or do you remove the protectors, store them and then reattach them on each use?

Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Dont use Duct Tape, get Tenacious Tape or DCF Tape. It bonds better, and the adhesive wont 'goo' over time. Tenacious or DCF tape will be just fine. REI has Tenacious. DCF probably has to be ordered.

All well loved gear has scars. This will just be the first of many

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I had a misfortune during a wonderful adventure during a thunder/lightening storm one dark and stormy night. The boomer rolled in unexpectedly during the night. I had set up a HG diamond shaped fly that was failing to stop the rain from coming in sideways. I had my Winter Palace along and draped the Winter Palace over me in the WBRR and held it with my feet and arms until the gale passed. It was a memorable occasion.

I patched the Winter Palace with CF patches that are available from a number of vendors.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12