Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD TW UQ; misc TQ

Hello From Moore, OK

I'm old enough for AARP but not for Social Security, LOL, 6' tall, working on dropping the weight I found last year. I've camped, mostly car camping, since I was a wee lad, but have been gearing up and toning up (round IS a shape) to do more backpacking to include section hiking the CO Trail, possibly starting this summer with a couple or so weeks, and some other short to medium length multiple nights hikes in this general region (OK, AR, etc.) and points west. I've always slept down with the critters on the ground in tents, but have a terrible time getting a good night's sleep. I have no illusions of getting my gear to ultralight status, but am trying to pare down the last few lbs to get to around 15 or so; my tent, pad, etc., swapping to a hammock system would be close to the same, a few ounces one way or the other.

I finally was able to try out a gift cheap Amazon hammock and found it extremely comfortable; only could lounge in it, not lay due to size. Over the past couple years, I've watched a lot of Shug's videos, among many others, got lots of great general knowledge from them, but will have to go back and repeat some to get into the weeds. Side note: I have a suspicion that I and my kids have seen Shug perform in the Greatest Show on Earth. So, anyway, I'm nearly ready to purchase a hammock to evaluate its suitability for me.

I have the means to purchase good quality gear, but don't want to spend unwisely. I'm leaning towards getting a regular width Chameleon with at least a bugnet to get started, maybe also a topcover a little later after I can make sure I'm fine sleeping in it. I also need a tarp. If it doesn't work out, hopefully this would be a quick sell. I might later investigate the Sparrow after I know what works and doesn't for me. I've looked at Warbonnet, but the comparisons and features keep leading me to the Chameleon now and maybe Sparrow later.

I have a rectangle quilt with cinchable footbox setup I can use as a TQ, I've been down to a little below freezing with it but wouldn't want to go any colder. I also have a Massdrop pine quilt that I'd likely set up as a UQ, following the ideas that I saw elsewhere on here, think that is rated at 40. I'd get some colder weather quilts after, again, determining that hammocks work for me. I think these would work for me while I evaluate.

Newb questions for the forum:

1) At what temp would you want to have a top cover versus a bug net/no cover? I don't presently plan to do any camping in temps below 20F, most would be above freezing.

2) Is a hex shape a good starting tarp? 11' or 12' for a 11' hammock? I'd probably get this from Dutchware as well as the hammock. I'd like to have good protection from a strong wind driven rain, while not blocking evening/night breezes.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Burrow
    Suspension
    Mantis/ daisy ch
    Welcome to the Forum! I'm relatively new to hammock camping as well, so I don't have the answers to your questions, but it sounds like you have a good plan forward! I'm still working out the kinks in properly setting up a tarp efficiently, but I'm happy with the size I have. I hang a 10' hammock under an 11' tarp. Mine has tiny "doors" on the ends, but I had them clipped up out of the way. I napped in it in the rain today, and it was great!

Buckle up and enjoy the ride!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    Welcome to the forums, and to hammock camping. I usually use the winter cover on my hammock (Simply Light Designs Trail Lair) when it’s much below 30 or so. A hex tarp is a popular design, though many find that they like to have doors on the ends in worse weather. Since the ridgeline of an 11’ hammock is somewhat shorter than that, you can use an 11’ hammock and 11’ tarp; that said, I have a 12’ tarp (Hammock Gear Journey), and do notice the difference between 11’ and 12’ hammocks. The 12’ hammock still fits fine, though. I do recommend looking into what your setup needs for a drip line, though, no matter now much your tarp extends past your hammock’s ends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD TW UQ; misc TQ
    Thanks for the comments. Your posts definitely have me heading in a different direction for a tarp. I like the idea of being able to close down the ends if the weather is wet and windy or colder. More studying to do, LOL.

With your comment about the solid top, I think I'll be good until at least Fall for anything I have planned.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Hi and Welcome!
    I was using my Warbonnet hammock as a buddy and I were doing a canoe trip on the Buffalo National River when a tornado hit your town of Moore. Unfortunately, it then headed straight ENE towards US! We got quite a storm that night. The park host at the national campground that we'd pulled into around 4 PM, was sitting down at the river telling all who passed by to get OFF the river and go camp as far away from the river as we could. No charge even, safety first. I was using a superfly (IIRC) and stayed dry. The river was all muddy the next morning and was up something like 8 inches between dusk and dawn. It continued to rain on us all the next day so we just went with the fast flow down the river. We wound up finishing the trip a half day ahead of schedule due to that storm.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD TW UQ; misc TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Hi and Welcome!
    I was using my Warbonnet hammock as a buddy and I were doing a canoe trip on the Buffalo National River when a tornado hit your town of Moore.
    We've certainly had our share of bad tornados here.

Good report on your Superfly. I'm presently looking at that and the HG Journey. There are so many options on hammock gear that it is easy to get overwhelmed!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Lately I've been using a Dream Hammock. And a HG cuben tarp.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD TW UQ; misc TQ
    I took the first plunge yesterday and ordered a Dutchware Chameleon in 1.6 Hexon moroccan blue and a bug net. I also ordered some of his special hardware and zing it for testing purposes. For testing purposes in the yard, I'll just use a cheap harbor fright tarp on a ridgeline for now.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Hello. I am just a bit away in AR. Welcome.

A good hex tarp will keep you dry here as long as it has sides long enough to cover your sag pitched down close.
    I am convinced my wife's cat has decided to eat my old hex so I am thinking of grabbing a WBTF.

I camp when my schedule allows not the weather. I have no worries about getting damp in one of those in our summer storms.

I recommend you think about an UQP if you are new to tarps. It will give you a little extra security and protection from shifting gusts.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD TW UQ; misc TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrow2 View Post
    Hello. I am just a bit away in AR. Welcome.

A good hex tarp will keep you dry here as long as it has sides long enough to cover your sag pitched down close.
    I am convinced my wife's cat has decided to eat my old hex so I am thinking of grabbing a WBTF.

I camp when my schedule allows not the weather. I have no worries about getting damp in one of those in our summer storms.

I recommend you think about an UQP if you are new to tarps. It will give you a little extra security and protection from shifting gusts.
    Hi "neighbor"! A coworker from AL and I are planning a few days on the Eagle Rock Loop sometime in the fall.

I agree about the UQP, it seems like inexpensive extra protection from the elements and to keep the expensive UQs in good shape.

I am impressed by WB's tarp options. The TF and MF both look like good options that I'll also add to my short list. LOL, when I finally decided to purchase a hammock, I naively thought that a tarp would be a simple choice of size and shape.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast