I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Underquilt Protector has a lot of range.
    For me it keeps the wind from robbing my built-up UQ warmth.
    Nice to have when needed.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Have you done the Eagle Rock Loop (ERL) before? There is a Facebook "ERL Trip Reports", plus Backpacking Arkansas group on FB.
    I've done the ERL 3X. Once in a group, once with a hiker who has forgotten some of the trails he's done (He's done the AT 2X), and once solo. I've parked at Winding Stairs and the NW corner also (small lot). I know they redid the drive into the parking in the SW corner, which also adds something like a miles one way. It's a great hike, but be very mindful of the down river crossings on the Little Mo!!! So is the Caney Creek a few miles from it. But Caney Creek is in a "Wilderness" area, so......
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD TW UQ; misc TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The Underquilt Protector has a lot of range.
    For me it keeps the wind from robbing my built-up UQ warmth.
    Nice to have when needed.
    Shug
    Thanks Shug,
    Good note. I quickly get cold when out in windy weather.

I greatly appreciate your videos, they were a valuable resource in deciding to dip my toes in hammocking and will be even more so as I dig in to the actual how to's.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD TW UQ; misc TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Have you done the Eagle Rock Loop (ERL) before? There is a Facebook "ERL Trip Reports", plus Backpacking Arkansas group on FB.
    I've done the ERL 3X. Once in a group, once with a hiker who has forgotten some of the trails he's done (He's done the AT 2X), and once solo. I've parked at Winding Stairs and the NW corner also (small lot). I know they redid the drive into the parking in the SW corner, which also adds something like a miles one way. It's a great hike, but be very mindful of the down river crossings on the Little Mo!!! So is the Caney Creek a few miles from it. But Caney Creek is in a "Wilderness" area, so......
    rhjanes
    This will be the first time for both of us. Thanks for the FB group names, will check in to them.

We're kind of thinking about trying to park/start on the NW corner and go CCW to knock out the hills right off.

I know water flow in the western half or so of AR is no joke. Several years back, my wife and I drove to Eureka Springs for a long weekend. We drove in on the tail of a large storm system and every low area was flooded or the water was moving fast. I recall hearing that some people were killed due to that storm, but I don't think the timing was right (probably a Feb or Mar) for the flood that killed the campers. We're planning on one or two fallback time options in case the water level is too high or big rain is in the forecast.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    For your weather in Arkansas stories there was snow on the ground as I drove home today.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I also like to park in that NW corner and go CCW and get the mountains out first. But it IS a smaller lot. There is a lot due north on another road but I've never been there. It would add a mile each way to hour hike. If the lot is full, I think I'd just keep going east on "Mine Creek" road and soon you find the Little Mo Day Use area off to the right. BIG parking lot there, but park OUTSIDE the day use area, on the grass field (which the trail actually goes thru!). You could still go west (CCW) and hit the mountains. Drinking water is never much of an issue on ERL, so no need to carry much. I was surprised at how little my one friend (who did the AT twice) carried. Maybe 2 cups up each mountain. He'd camel up at the stream, then hike up and over. Along the Viles and Little Mo trail you are never far from water.
    The two crossings on the Little Mo, very dangerous if the water is up OR there has been rain up river in the headwaters. 19 people killed in one flood, which is why Albert Pike is closed for anything overnight. Same with the Little Mo area, don't park inside it except just for the day.
    Check This water gauge. Anything over 4.5 feel on the depth gauge is considered too dangerous to cross. There are some ways to NOT cross.
    https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=07360200

There is also a "fun" crossing a bit south of the Little Mo day use area. Going CCW (so heading towards the Little Mo Day area) the trail crosses a fast flowing creek first and it's quite a drop into it. Then the trail immediately turns and crosses the Little Mo! You'll know it when you find it!
    Call me Junior

"For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD TW UQ; misc TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrow2 View Post
    For your weather in Arkansas stories there was snow on the ground as I drove home today.
    One of the forecasts for tonight has a low of 33, but thankfully no precipitation. We had a horrid ice storm early last fall that ravaged trees, let's just say that it wouldn't be wise to go skydiving over any wooded areas in central OK for a while unless you want to become a human shish kebab.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    SLD TW UQ; misc TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I also like to park in that NW corner and go CCW and get the mountains out first. But it IS a smaller lot. There is a lot due north on another road but I've never been there. It would add a mile each way to hour hike. If the lot is full, I think I'd just keep going east on "Mine Creek" road and soon you find the Little Mo Day Use area off to the right. BIG parking lot there, but park OUTSIDE the day use area, on the grass field (which the trail actually goes thru!). You could still go west (CCW) and hit the mountains. Drinking water is never much of an issue on ERL, so no need to carry much. I was surprised at how little my one friend (who did the AT twice) carried. Maybe 2 cups up each mountain. He'd camel up at the stream, then hike up and over. Along the Viles and Little Mo trail you are never far from water.
    The two crossings on the Little Mo, very dangerous if the water is up OR there has been rain up river in the headwaters. 19 people killed in one flood, which is why Albert Pike is closed for anything overnight. Same with the Little Mo area, don't park inside it except just for the day.
    Check This water gauge. Anything over 4.5 feel on the depth gauge is considered too dangerous to cross. There are some ways to NOT cross.
    https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=07360200

There is also a "fun" crossing a bit south of the Little Mo day use area. Going CCW (so heading towards the Little Mo Day area) the trail crosses a fast flowing creek first and it's quite a drop into it. Then the trail immediately turns and crosses the Little Mo! You'll know it when you find it!
    Thanks for the excellent info on parking. I believe I read somewhere that some spots get physically closed off at night, I assume that includes the ones you mentioned.

I can't imagine carrying that little water, even with plentiful sources. If nothing else, I don't want to waste my time getting out my filter kit, filter, put kit away, and do it again a short while later.

Yeah, that's the web site we'll be checking for water level before we even depart our respective houses. I take water safety pretty seriously, my great-grandfather drowned when I was 1 or 2 while fishing in a river in WA, he was wearing waders and something happened, maybe fell, anyway the waders filled with water and the current drug him down. I recall seeing some mention of a person/people seeing the water too high on their hike and bushwacked to avoid the crossings. Guess I need to start a document to start keeping all these notes since my memory isn't what it used to be and even then it was pretty bad, LOL.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    The actual Albert Pike area will be closed to overnight parking. But just east of it are places people park. the Albert Pike area has a bathhouse, should be open for you. I've showered in it, rinsed shirts in the sink... For the Winding Stairs parking area, you turn like you are entering Albert Pike, but then you look quick for a road to your left. That leads to the Winding Stairs parking area.
    The Little Mo Day Use area also is paved, has signs and such and even a long hiking bridge. The day use area has a gate and is also closed overnight. There are flush toilets at Albert Pike (if the building is open), pit toilets at Winding Stair parking lot and also at the Little Mo day use area.
    When you get to the Albert Pike building and signs, looks at the side of the sign where they have a mark for "The water was THIS high...." when 19 people were swept away. Then look down at the river below you. So yeah....the power of water! Albert Pike proper is in a bit of a canyon so that and no way our but one road which CROSSES the river is why the disaster took place.
    Have fun. It's a great hike. Don't underestimate the mountain leg, the ABF (Athens-Big-Fork) As you hike those mountains remember that it was a mail route....when they were using mules.
    Call me Junior

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12