Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jb_outdoors View Post

Also, I see most folks suspending their tarps from the CRL with prusiks or hardware but I tend to run the ridgeline under the tarp and pull it taught with prusiks. I guess I just don't like the droop and I get a couple more inches of height this way.
    You can avoid the droop with small hooks holding the tarp ends to the CRL. Running the CRL under has its pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
    I don't think you end up with much more line.
    It's probably 12-15 extra feet of line but that's not a huge thing with Lash-It or Zing-It. Give it a try and see if it's something you want to stick with.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Minifly
    Insulation
    JRB + EETQ
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
    I don't think you end up with much more line.

there is only 1 line going from one end of the tarp to the other. THe line on one end is around a tree back to tarp and connected. You have to tie to a tree anyways.
    THe other end goes around tree back through tarp loop and attaches to self for adjusting. SO a little bit more line.

It allows you, if i understand correctly, to move the tarp or center on the one end while tying off the last tie to tree.

You don't have to go and adjust 2 prusiks to re center, or adjust 2 dutch fleas, wasps etc....

I think that is how i understand it......
    That makes some kind of sense. Thank you!

I very nearly got caught out in an absolute deluge this weekend while hanging my tarp with a traditional single-line CRL and I vowed to try out a split ridgeline on the next trip, but I might give this a go as it sounds like a happy medium and for some reason I have an abiding horror of cutting cordage.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Nothing wrong with giving it a trial run, see if it works for you.
    Does your tarp have grommets? Sometimes grommets get pulled off tarp, while ridgeline is pulled tight.

Confusing terminology—And it Ain’t Your Fault

Some use term “continuous ridgeline” for one rope that goes from one tree to the other tree.
    Adjustments of tarp along this rope can be made with prusik loops, Nama Claws, and Dutch Bling.

Others use the term “continuous ridgeline” for one rope that goes from one tree to the other tree and then after going around tree-goes back to connect to tarp—kind of like old time laundry lines stretched between apartment buildings. The laundry line was a continuous loop. When clothes had dried, clothes could be retrieved from laundry line by pulling rope to get clothes off the line.

Adjusting tarp side to side over hammock, you would pull the rope either to right or left. The rope would grind a bit as it slides along backside of trees.

It ain’t your fault!

If your way works for you, great!

Watch a few too many YouTube videos on this and other interesting topics.

Buy Derek Hansen’s book about hammocks.

Attend a couple group hangs to see many different riggings that all work to each hammock camper’s satisfaction.
    ^^^^^^^^^Good explanation.

Single-piece ridgeline and CRL aren't the same thing, although CRL is nearly always used to refer to any non-split ridgeline.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by jb_outdoors View Post
    This is the first time I've heard of anyone doing this. You would need almost twice as much line and still need some kind of bling to hook it up, so can someone tell me the benefit of this setup over a single tree-to-tree line with either knots or bling?
    Some like to have the "V" in the tarp suspension at each end formed by this method in order to minimize hammock suspension-to-tarp suspension contact.

With this method, the hammock suspension (at least the foot-end, since it should be higher than the head-end) would go up through that "V".

A real benefit? It depends on who you ask.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12