Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Butt, it's too low

I'm a big guy, 225lbs and 6' tall. When I hang my Clark I try to get the tree straps as high on the tree as I can reach but ultimately when the hammock is adjusted so I am nearly flat, my butt is hanging like 6-8 inches from the ground. I use Whoopies so I'm not sinking, it's just my weight. I often wrap my straps more than once around the truck but still sit so low getting outta the hammock is hard. Most video shows guys sitting comfortably at about 18-24" off the ground. What am I doing wrong? I wanna get high enough I can sit comfortably in it and not have rain splash up beneath me. No butt sagging jokes please. <g>

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Re: Butt, it's too low

What kind of straps are you using?
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Maybe your tree straps are sagging.

Maybe you need to find trees that are closer together.

A structural ridgeline should help you lift your hammock when the trees are too far apart.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    My first thought was also the straps.
    When you initially set up, is your hammock low or is it around waist level? If waist level or higher and adding a load brings it to 6-8 inches off ground, you may be experiencing too much stretch in your suspension system and need to either change it or the materials it's made out of.
    Whoopie slings are usually made from amsteel with virtualy no stretch. Assuming that is the case, it may be the straps or the hang angle. Are you at 30* or less hang angle?
    Pics of your setup would help in giving you advise.

I'm just under 200lbs and have had my kids with me(1 at a time). The total weight was in excess of your 225lbs and we didn't go that low. Also you may want to get a weather shield for your hammock body to ensure no splashing will harm your Underquilt or hammock body.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I typically hang pretty close to the ground a foot or less. Makes it more comfy when sitting sideways with my feet on the ground. Also makes a better set for foul weather pitch on the tarp.

David

Quote Originally Posted by BC9696 View Post
    I'm a big guy, 225lbs and 6' tall. When I hang my Clark I try to get the tree straps as high on the tree as I can reach but ultimately when the hammock is adjusted so I am nearly flat, my butt is hanging like 6-8 inches from the ground. I use Whoopies so I'm not sinking, it's just my weight. I often wrap my straps more than once around the truck but still sit so low getting outta the hammock is hard. Most video shows guys sitting comfortably at about 18-24" off the ground. What am I doing wrong? I wanna get high enough I can sit comfortably in it and not have rain splash up beneath me. No butt sagging jokes please. <g>
    IF, the straps are NOT nylon, then how far apart are the trees you are hanging from. The further they are apart the higher the straps have to go. My nx250 is easiest to hang when the trees are around 12 ft. apart. If they are 15' then I have to reach high. It is not your weight, I am that weight myself.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    You are really not that heavy for your hammock. And you are correct that the whoopies (if Amsteel) are not stretching. Even nylon tree straps should not have too much stretch considering their relatively short length. That leaves only that your trees are too far apart or you are using excessive sag in your suspension. In my 'lab' my suspension points are 18' apart and I attach the straps about 7' high at the foot end and 6' high at the head end to get a chair height hang. Very much further apart at the suspension points and I would be reaching.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Distances

Yeah...using st raps and it is probably the distance. Many places out west don't have perfectly spaced trees...many places have none.

Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    My first action would be to increase the distance between the the trees I'm using. Everything sounds fine as far as equipment goes. No nylon right?
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Images
    I am the same ht and wt as you. I have experience this myself and getting that hammock hung as high as you can and playing around with the distances between trees will be your best bet. I look for trees that are 15 feet from each other. A lot of the ultralight stuff will not work for dudes our size or heavier because you kinda have to be ultralight to use ultralight gear. I don't think it's your suspension that you need to worry about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast