Dutch Half-Zipped SL Hex 1.6
    Tarp
    Rain Fly Evolution
    Insulation
    HG 30 Phx 40 Brw
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle

Top quilt recommendations and advise

I am planning a late summer, early to mid august, hike of the presidential range. My rough plan is spend the night before in the hammock to get an early start then one night in the trees somewhere along the way. I have ordered a HG Phoenix 30°, but don’t know what direction to go for a top quilt. I prefer to sleep on the cooler side and will at some point get a HG Burrow to pair with the Phoenix but I don’t know if the investment is necessary for this trip. Any and all recommendations and advise is much appreciated.

Hammock
    Clark TX 270
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    I own two HG burrows. A 50 summer and a 10 Winter. Both are over a decade old. They are both still like new and I've had zero issues. Im actually in my 50 in my recliner now!�� I would recommend them as an immediate investment. Do not leave them in the stuff sack. Leave em out and hang. Good luck.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    As a single set 40/20 is extremely versatile especially since you can vent in the warmer temps and will want all you can get at the other end of the temp range. Consider cold wet windy. I've compromised to get lighter with 30 degree full length UQ, and it is a lot warmer than my 2/3 or 3/4L 20 degree UQs, but still use the same 40 degree TQ.

It is the Jacks r Better Sierra Sniveler. The one with the poncho slit and works beautifully as a wearable piece of insulation around a no fire solo camp. I had mine for years before deciding to leave my puffer at home and giving it a try. Also practically the only piece of gear that came with me when I decided to descend the abyss to Hammock UL.
    Signature suspended

I thought you were recommending a 20° UQ and 40° TQ setup, but I sn’t the Sierra Sniveller a 20° TQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    As a single set 40/20 is extremely versatile especially since you can vent in the warmer temps and will want all you can get at the other end of the temp range. Consider cold wet windy. I've compromised to get lighter with 30 degree full length UQ, and it is a lot warmer than my 2/3 or 3/4L 20 degree UQs, but still use the same 40 degree TQ.

It is the Jacks r Better Sierra Sniveler. The one with the poncho slit and works beautifully as a wearable piece of insulation around a no fire solo camp. I had mine for years before deciding to leave my puffer at home and giving it a try. Also practically the only piece of gear that came with me when I decided to descend the abyss to Hammock UL.
    I thought you were recommending a 20° UQ and 40° TQ setup, but I sn’t the Sierra Sniveller a 20° TQ?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaQ View Post
    Im actually in my 50 in my recliner now! I would recommend them as an immediate investment. Do not leave them in the stuff sack.
    +1 for using TQ at home.

I have kept mine in the closet reserved for backpack trips. Lately I've decided that isnt necessary. I get better value by using it on the couch too!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammichael View Post

Nope. Of course it is the other way around. 40TQ/20UQ. Insulation kits for hammocks almost always run the lower temp range on the bottom, higher on top.
    Signature suspended

Nope. Of course it is the other way around. 40TQ/20UQ. Insulation kits for hammocks almost always run the lower temp range on the bottom, higher on top.
    So you’re using the Sierra Sniveller as an UQ, then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    No. sorry for the confusion.
    Using the SS as a TQ it is rated @40 degrees

For the UQ i was running a 20 degree 2/3L HG clone or a Lost biker Lewis 20 degree 3/4L.

My current kit is a Sheltowee Whisper Asym with 30 degree full length UQ sewn into the hammock body. Point was that the JRB TQ was the only piece of gear that crossed over to UL from my LW kit. It remains a very good 40 degree TQ after 8 years. You can go lighter but hard to imagine you can get much better.
    Signature suspended

No. sorry for the confusion.
    Using the SS as a TQ it is rated @40 degrees

For the UQ i was running a 20 degree 2/3L HG clone or a Lost biker Lewis 20 degree 3/4L.

My current kit is a Sheltowee Whisper Asym with 30 degree full length UQ sewn into the hammock body. Point was that the JRB TQ was the only piece of gear that crossed over to UL from my LW kit. It remains a very good 40 degree TQ after 8 years. You can go lighter but hard to imagine you can get much better.
    Ah. It looks like your Sierra Sniveller 40° must be more like the current Stealth than the current Sierra models from JRB. Makes sense to me now. Thanks for helping me to understand!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast