Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ

Sub 24 Hours, Quickies, Gear Proving Grounds

Many folks don't have sufficient time for a weeklong trip and sometimes it can be difficult to get away for just a weekend. The Sub 24 Hour Overnight originated, I think, with explorer-author Alastair Humpreys who wrote about getting outside more often by using the space closer to your home as a base for adventure. And it doesn't have to be a full-on adventure; sometimes we go out just to test new gear or escape a snoring roommate!

Share your quickies here...

I left work yesterday for a county park about 50 miles from home. The park is set up for motor home camping, hiking and mountain biking and has a handful of tent sites for car campers. It's sufficiently off the road and in the woods that you can trick yourself into thinking it might be somewhere more remote. My goal was to test out a new top quilt and practice pitching a tarp that I bought over the winter but don't have much mileage on. I wasn't about to drive the distance to "the real mountains" to test this stuff since I had family obligations the next morning.

20 degree quilt set, the TQ is a new one from EE. Low temp was 46 degrees and I was warm to the point of being a bit too warm in a set of light synthetic sleep wear. Bright orange interior because I have the damndest time figuring out where to shove my feet in the dark!

HG DCF basic tarp, my 1st with doors. Still exploring all the pitching possibilities. For those on the fence between "raw" DCF or cammo, I can tell you that a Park Ranger's 55,000 lumen LED light bar shines right through the white material and burns your corneas!

Nature's field goal post

In at 3:30 pm, out at 7:50 am in time to resume parenting duty.

Where do you go when you need a nature fix?

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    I like the idea. I have a wilderness area about 45 min from my house that I like to go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    I like the idea. I'm trying to scout places that get decent cell reception for Thursday night trips since I can run 60-70% of my work from the company phone and typically don't need to be in front of a laptop on Friday mornings. So far, those spots don't seem conducive to good trout fishing in the GA mountains, but I'll keep looking.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 12’
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dynaweb
    Almost all my trips are of an after work overnight nature...definitely escaping a “snoring roommate” and the stressors of home/work.
    Even my few two nighters have been local as in the U.K. we don’t have the trails with camping as you guys do.
    There are options for trails with some hammock hanging but will take a ton of planning to get right....the overnights are good prep for the hopeful longer escapes.
    This summer I plan to tent camp some longer local trails to stitch together some longer hammock trips for winter, plotting hanging spots with mileage in between.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm a huge fan of this 'format.'

Done many a quick pop into the woods to test things, and lucky to live close enough to make it to Lake Nawahunta in about 35 minutes, condo to campsite.

Very nice hang with good setup all 'round!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    I like the idea. I'm trying to scout places that get decent cell reception for Thursday night trips since I can run 60-70% of my work from the company phone .....
    Yes, this is a potential advantage. I try my best not to go down that route because then it's not 'relaxation time' if I'm on my phone dealing with work. But the concept had crossed my mind.....as I was leaving work Friday I was responding to messages and thinking "they have no idea I'm on my way to camp. I wonder how much I could get away with?!"

Hammock
    Dutch Wide
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    SLD & HG
    Suspension
    Myerstech UHMWPE
    Hmmm... I'm working from home anyway during the pandemic. I might have to find a place with good LTE coverage and give it a shot.

My wife might catch on though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    I did the same thing this weekend. Friday I left work at 5, packed up and left the house at 7, trailhead at 7:45, camp at 8:15, done setting up around 9, started a fire and ate dinner, bed around 11:30, woke up about 8:30, leisurely ate breakfast and coffee, did some site maintenance for 30 minutes, packed up, hiked out, back at the house by noon.

This was my first sub-24hr micro trip but I'll be doing this a lot more. It still has a disproportionate amount of enjoyment from a longer trip, but requires no planning, time off work, or much interruption to the general flow of life.

Im a fan and can also recommend camping for however long is practical to do frequently, whether that's less than a day or over a month!

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    I spent the afternoon scouting a bike route to the campground mentioned in my first post. Google suggested a surprisingly good route, including a greenway I didn't know about that cut out some heavily trafficked roads. 15 miles one way, definitely "do-able" after work on a Friday, though I was disheartened to find the public campground pretty full, even at 3:30 on a Sunday. Some sort of weekend-long mountain bike race with many racers occupying the camp sites. Makes me think twice about riding out there only to find no campsites left; they don't take reservations.

Got to do a quick test hang with a new SLD Tree Runner that arrived in an amazing two days from when the order was placed.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    That's pretty handy! Ride-n-hang trip. If it's like most other parks, if you can manage a mid-week trip you'll have it all, or almost all, to yourself.

Easy for me to say being an ORG.

But there are quite a few folks with unconventional work schedules. Mine was like that for 30 years.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast