Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    New criteria for my Thursday night trips: check for vicinity to train tracks...
    LOL sounds as if there's a story there!

I once got a room in a motel on Rt 66 in Flagstaff after driving up from Phoenix to hike up Humphreys Peak. Pretty cool staying in one of those classic renovated places on the old historic drag. Until about 1am when the train horns started blasting and went on all night... major railroad hub and they were shifting cars around for different destinations, and the noise was relentless. There was a RR crossing right across the street, requiring a full horn blast as they went by. The windows literally rattled.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    LOL sounds as if there's a story there!

I once got a room in a motel on Rt 66 in Flagstaff after driving up from Phoenix to hike up Humphreys Peak. Pretty cool staying in one of those classic renovated places on the old historic drag. Until about 1am when the train horns started blasting and went on all night... major railroad hub and they were shifting cars around for different destinations, and the noise was relentless. There was a RR crossing right across the street, requiring a full horn blast as they went by. The windows literally rattled.

Yup, right before that post I was soundly asleep only to awake to a LOUD whistle and rolling of train. Again at 0230.

This ain't bad, though.
    Last edited by Hang Williams; 05-14-2021 at 09:14.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    New criteria for my Thursday night trips: check for vicinity to train tracks...
    I made that mistake on the OT. Every three hours, like clockwork....

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ

Cowboy and tarp camping dry run in the yard. I've always avoided sleeping in the open, without a floor and walls, out of concern about bugs. I've been riding the bike more, looking for accessible campsites and there are some where there are no suitable trees. I have a tent that resembles a tall coffin and am considering a bivy for bike rides > might as well be in a coffin shaped container and save the weight and bulk!

So last night I set up in my yard/test site. Mid 50's. I used my HG tarp and poles, and an older EE 45 degree TQ. Comfy. No bugs. Fresh air!!!! Only complaint is my pad: it's a Thermarest Neoair that's too narrow my my frame. As I laid there with my shoulders and hips hanging off the sides, I realized it's the main reason I never got a good night sleep in my tent and why I switched to the hammock. Time for a new pad.

Lessons Learned: I don't really need a floor or enclosed walls, at least not when bugs are scarce and the weather is calm. I have to find a replacement method for the trekking poles, since they won't be with me on the bike, and I need to get the ride line pulled tighter. Replace 30 year-old space blanket with a sheet of Polycro because #weightweenie. I need a pillow solution. My tiny HG down pillow works great in the hammock but isn't 'big' enough to elevate my head to a position of comfort while on the ground; I'd have clothes to supplement this when really camping.

And, significantly, I felt less confined under the tarp than in my tent!
    Last edited by Bobonli; 05-16-2021 at 09:57.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I always thought it was just the sleeping pad I was using, that kept me from sleeping well on the ground, but good grief it was almost 4” thick! Since I started using a hammock, I’ve often thought I could tarp camp now, as long as I had a bug bivy around me. I used to shudder at the thought of not having those 4 nylon walls, but I love being more out in the open now.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have strapped my trekking poles along my tailbag several times.
    If I don't rub my. Alves I never notice them.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Man you are braver then me
    I need to be enclosed
    Ticks,snakes,bugs,creepy crawls
    That being said allot of new pads have a pillow built into then, so maybe keep an eye out for that feature
    Also dirtbaghiker had a pretty sweet tarp/tent, u might want to check that out...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123